1,604 results
All reviews hitchcock film union square sutter street tenderloin ceiling fan few blocks decent size flat screen tv free coffee stayed here for nights public transport cable car fisherman's wharf around the corner homeless people ferry building lobby
Reviewed 26 July 2012

So the location is the real reason you're staying in the Vertigo. If you're a Hitchcock fan then it's a piece of filmic history so the rest of the hotel is kind of insignificant. However, it is a pretty decent hotel. The room me and the wife had was spacious and clean although the strange clunky movement on the wadrobe door drove me to close to madness.
We had a good stay although could hear the cleaning staff in the storeroom which sounded strangely as if our mirror was a spy/hidey hole in the wall (it was not).
The thing my wife and I found odd was that (to our knowledge - unless really well hidden) there's no bar or communal area other than that found in reception. As a visitor does tend to have at least one drink in the bar it seems like a missed opportunity.
Would we come back? Not sure but this is more based on being slightly disappointed with SF not the Vertigo itself.

Room Tip: Strangely get one that looks out the back.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear Richard P,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations.

Just a bit of movie trivia, parts of the movie, "Vertigo" were actually shot at the hotel and a few decor pieces are themed after the movie, such as the mirrored wall art in the guestrooms, which is that spiral effect during the beginning of the movie. Not part of the movie however but a cool thing to note is that the staircase towards the center of the hotel. Go up to the very top floor and look down, I can only imagine that's how "Scottie" felt in the movie!

However, I am sorry to hear that you didn't seem to enjoy the city of San Francisco. We do hope that you will return in the future to take a second go round.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel as part of the 2nd stop in a 3 week holiday that took us to New York, San Francisco, Los angeles, Bora Bora and Washington.

I am a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock and fancied staying in the hotel where one of the scenes of the film was shot. I was a little skeptical to begin with but after reading the positive reviews decided on booking this hotel and I was not disappointed!

1- I had sent the hotel an email asking for a quiet room, preferably at the top and inside facing. The hotel provided me exactly that! These guys listen to your requests! The room is of good size and it has a closet with robes for two people. It also has a safe and enough room to store two suit cases; this leaves the rest of the room with ample space to move around. TV is flat screen and has many channels. Bathroom is good as well.

2- The hotel provides you with Free WIFI! they give you the username and password upon checkin. This is really an added value!!

3- The Vertigo theme is present in the entire buidling. Starting with the reception where the film is run on a flat screen! just what you need to put yourself in the mood!! I loved that little detail! the room also remind you of the film with different wall items.

4- Room service was always impecable!

5- Location: a little of the beaten path, but I was expecting that so it was not a surprise. We took the BART train from the airport to Powell station and then walked to the hotel: not advisable as it did take us around 20min with steep uphill walking and pulling suitcases. I suggest you catch a cab from Powell station or directly from the airport because the train ride cost us 19 dollars and a taxi ride, which we took on our way out of San Francisco, cost us around 30. In addition the ticketing system for the BART is not very easy, you need the exact change to get the ticket.

To get around we had to walk or take a taxi. We found the public transport around SF pretty expensive and not very good as it does not take you everywhere. The tram/trolley cost you 5 dollars just to get on regardless of destination, destinations which are anyway limited.

Note of caution, if you decide to go to Fisherman's Warf and stay out late (around 22h30), you might not catch any taxis: we had 20 people waiting for taxis in the designated area (after a policeman advised queue instead of walking further away) and only one taxi came every 20min!! so we walked in the end and caught a taxi further away.

6- Hotel Staff was friendly and helpful but nothing special.

7- We didn't see any breakfast option in the hotel, so go just in front of the hotel. There is a very nice cafe which is cheap and very good!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and do not want to risk being exposed to the street, send them an email and ask to be on the 7th floor, looking the other side of the street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rafaelshumy
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear rafaelshumy,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, the service of our staff and most importanly, your visit into our great city of San Francisco. Thank you also for providing great transportation tips to/from SFO as well as getting around the city, as this certainly helps our future guests in figuring their way to our hotel!

We hope that you had a memorable three-week holiday and we are certainly glad that the Hotel Vertigo was able to be part of it. We hope to welcome you back to San Francisco in the near future!

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Unfortunately I did not have a pleasant experience at Hotel Vertigo. The main point being that I did not actually get to stay there even though I had a hotel confirmation and had contacted the hotel weeks prior to my arrival to confirm my reservation.

When arriving at the hotel the weekend of June 8th, I had to be told by the manager that there was a computer glitch in the system and they were overbooked. After getting quite upset as this was my biggest fear coming to San Francisco and I had done everything I could to prevent this from happening, I was given an 'alternate' hotel room for the 4 nights of my visit. The 'alternate' hotel I was given was in a terrible location surrounded by homeless people and drug addicts. It smelled like urine every where we walked and was not in a central location to walk around to the sights. I had chosen Hotel Vertigo for the reviews and location, and was given a 2 star hotel in return in a seedy part of town.

I don't know if this whole booking issue was real or a scam to ensure that Hotel Vertigo's sister hotels had patrons on those nights. I was told I would be given a free night's stay, but I highly doubt I will ever see that money back.

Overall, I was not happy with how the management handled the issue and the fact that I had contacted the hotel twice prior to my arrival weeks in advance to confirm my reservation made me all the more upset. Had I known weeks in advance that the hotel was fully booked and my reservation wouldn't be taken, I would have looked for alternate accommodations on my own instead of being forced to stay in a seedy part of town.

I am giving the hotel a 1 star rating as I was terribly upset and the news ruined part of my vacation. No one wants to start a vacation like this. It was very unfortunate and difficult to rebound from.

Not a happy patron.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Bethany M M
HaiyiHotels D, General Manager at Hotel Vertigo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Dear Bethany M M,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced at Hotel Vertigo in June during your visit at our beautiful city, San Francisco.

At our Hotel we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations.

As a testament to our strive for perfection, we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again by, implementing specific measures and training with our Front Desk and Reservations team after this incident occurred. Because of this serious oversight, Miki Travel is refunding you one night room and tax.

We deeply value your relationship with Hotel Vertigo and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best. If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me at lmorales@haiyi-hotels.com or 415-885-6800.

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager
Hotel Vertigo

Reviewed 26 June 2012

This hotel has a good location to get to chinatown and other attraction by foot or by the bus. The bus stop is just one street down. The room we stayed in (double with 2 queen beds) was clean, large and bright. Coffee making facility in the room and in the lobby which was nice.

Unfortunately the asian lady at the front desk is very rude to customers, this spoils the overall good experience of staying at the Vertigo. Other staff are very helpful. Points for improvement would be to include breakfast in the price and to improve the number and quality of TV channels available in the room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tryandtell

Dear Tryandtell,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our accommodations and location to the area attractions satisfactory. However, I do apologize about your encounters with one of our Front Desk Hosts. We appreciate your honest feedback and will bring your review to the attention of our Hotel Manager to use this as a training opportunity so that we may improve in the future.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco!

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Very good stay and excellent value for money. Friendly staff and quiet rooms (though no view) it was a great base and one I'd be tempted to use again. It's central Ian big US city so yes they're small but otherwise very good. Staff lovely and location excellent - worth wandering up Hyde or Polk to union for some lovely SF fun. Only downside was that they don't have a car park but they have a good deal with the secure public lot at 840 Sutter - just 200m away.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt W

Dear Matt W,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest on a future visit into San Francisco!