“GREAT hotel, but not for sleeping”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #73 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sonoma
“GREAT hotel, but not for sleeping”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was my second trip. I am soooo dissapointed. We stayed in the main hotel "Traditional" rooms". I was awoken NO LESS than 10 times from 11 pm to 4am by loud people walking down the hallway. I was not far from the elevators and the walls are truly paper thin. (same thing happened last visit) Then at 6 am the people in the room next to us were up preparing for their day. I heard every noise they made. I swear I heard them put a coffee cup down on the table. I heard their whole conversation for goodness sakes.
Let me say in all fairness that I am a light sleeper at times, but this was over the top. The hotel is truly lovely. Perfect location, staff is wonderfully accommodating. Clean and charming. I guess after $200 room, $60 night parking & $15 day for Internet I just assumed I would sleep.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper get a room FAR away from elevators
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank KimSonoma
TheWestinStFrancis, Director of Rooms at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear KimSonoma:

We appreciate your feedback regarding your return visit to The Westin St. Francis. I’m happy to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly, and enjoyed the charm of the Landmark Building. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy a restful night of sleep, however. For your next visit, I’d be happy to personally assist you in finding a room more suited to your needs. I can be reached at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Director of Rooms, The Westin St. Francis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed in the traditional tower of the Westin and loved it. The room was unique and whilst smaller than I expected, had fantastic attention to detail with a chandelier and other beatifully timeless fixtures and fittings. The bar and lobby were modern and the hotel was central to everything that I had come to see. Check-in and Check-out were fast and efficient.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katrina L
Dear Katrina L:

We’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time in the Landmark Building. If there’s ever anything we can do to assist you with a future stay at The Westin St. Francis, please feel free to contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com. We look forward to your next visit to San Francisco.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed here in the “historic” hotel. The hall to the room was somewhat spooky and made one feel you were in a long ago era. We found the room to be very small, old and extremely basic. The bathroom was tiny with very limited shelf space. The bi-fold closet door did not shut so it made the room feel even more confining. Fortunately we were there for only two nights. On the second day upon returning to our room mid-afternoon our room had not been cleaned and there did not appear to be any visible housekeeping staff on our floor. On our way out of the hotel for the evening around 4:30 pm my husband stopped at the front desk to request our room be made up. He was told it would be taken care of immediately, however, upon returning at 10 pm it had not been cleaned. The staff in the hotel didn’t really seem to care about the guests and the hotel atmosphere was rather impersonal. I appreciate history but this hotel management is using the “historical” theme to keep it looking old and tired. Both nights we were unable to stop in any of the lounges as they were literally packed with people. Each time we went outside the hotel (no matter which exit) we were approached by bums and beggars. Our room faced Geary St and about half way down the block was a loud protest outside another hotel which was heard clearly in our room (on the 11th floor) every day we were there. As a frequent visitor I can honestly say this was the worst hotel stay we have even had in SF and we were so glad to leave. I would never return nor would I recommend the Westin St Francis.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the "historical" hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank michbren
Dear Michbren:

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at The Westin St. Francis. Your feedback will assist us in our constant efforts to ensure that each guest has a positive and enjoyable experience. Your visit to The Westin St. Francis should have provided an experience that allowed you to feel better than when you arrived. Clearly this did not happen during your visit.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay with us. It is truly troubling to read the concerns you have expressed and understand that you did not feel welcome.

I’m also disappointed to hear that your stay failed to meet our usual level of quality. I’ve had our staff look into the issue with the closet door, and I can assure you that it has been taken care of. The lack of prompt housekeeping services is, as you noted, unacceptable. We’ve addressed the issue with our staff and I’m confident that it won’t happen again.

If you have any further questions or need help booking a future stay at The Westin St. Francis, please feel free to contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com. We look forward to your next visit to San Francisco.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

miles behind other hotels in the Westin chain and other hotels in the same price bracket in the area. Poor service - there was only one person at reception so the check in queue was 20mins. noisy (I stayed on floor 3) and the facilities are well past its splendor. not coming back here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alejandro D
Dear Alejandro D:

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at The Westin St. Francis. Please accept my apologies for the concerns you have expressed. We pride ourselves on our service, and I apologize you were unable to experience this during your recent visit. I’ve taken steps to ensure that our reception desk is appropriately staffed, particularly during peak hours.

We’ve also taken into consideration the concerns you have expressed regarding the noise and general condition of facilities. We’re constantly working to improve the balance between historic charm and modern convenience. While we’re proud of our hotel’s history and preservation is a priority to us, there’s no greater priority than exceeding your expectations.

Please let me know if there’s ever anything we can do to assist you with a future stay at The Westin St. Francis. I can be reached at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This is a very nice Union Square hotel. The rooms are adequate size and the staff is friendly and efficient. Our only complaint was the noise level of the air conditioning, which made a very loud thump each time it went off. It sounded like something had been dropped against the door. I heard some complain of street noise, but our room didn't face a street so that may be a good thing to request. Such a handy location and beautiful spot.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing inside will be quietest.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business