“My Favorite Hotel in San Francisco”
Review of Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic
Ranked #124 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Perhaps I am nostalgic, but I adore European-style boutique hotels. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the clawfoot tubs are particularly charming. I have stayed in the smaller rooms and the suites, on my own and with partners. Some make you feel like royalty. The beds have always been comfortable and, except for the street noise, have lent themselves to some lovely romance and sweet dreams.

I adore the lobby and the elevators painted with monkeys. I am so glad that they have kept the original style of the hotel. Sometimes, they have wine and appetizers in the afternoon as well, which is a special treat.

I will be sure to go back to the Hotel Majestic the next time I travel to San Francisco. Great location, reasonable prices, and lovely ambiance.

Room Tip: Try to get a room off of Sutter St, if you want a quieter space.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kimberley42
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2015

Thank you for staying with us! We are so glad that you had a great experience in our hotel. We will see you next time!

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed one night at the Hotel Majestic while attending an event just two blocks away at the Regency Ballroom. I chose this hotel after reading reviews here on Trip Advisor.

I have to say, I was a bit cautious after reading reviews here. Overall they were positive, but the one star "OMG don't stay here" sorts always make me think twice.

I'm glad I wasn't put off by the negative reviews. I think one of the problems I have noticed with reviews of historic old hotels is people don't seem to get that they are....old! While a good one endeavors to keep things in good repair, there are going to be problems with the buildings that new hotels just don't have yet. The heat may not work very well, there may be NO air conditioning, fixtures may be funky, whatever. I always try to bear these things in mind when booking at an historic hotel.

The Hotel Majestic did NOT disappoint, however. The decor was wonderful. Unlike some historic hotels I've been to, they did not try to "modernize" the feel of the building. I truly felt I had stepped back in time--but with such modern niceties as electric lights and plenty of hot water!

The staff on the Friday night we stayed was nice and friendly--if a bit unskilled at what they do.
They lacked the professionalism that one expects at a good hotel, but not so much that it was a problem.

Our room was small, as is expected in a historic hotel, but larger than many I have stayed in. Everything was nice and clean, the carpet was in great shape (frayed carpeting is always a disappointment) and the room looked really nice. I would say that the management should consider new bed coverings as there are signs that the current ones are past their prime.

I peeked in on a King Suite the next morning while a maid was in one nearby. I think next time we stay (and I imagine we will again--we both really enjoyed the hotel) we will spring for the extra money and get the King Suite. It looked so posh and roomy!

Room Tip: Rooms on the street are noisy--bring your earplugs!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brigitgoddess

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience in our hotel. We apologize for some of the minor problems that we are still in the process of fixing. We will see you soon!

Reviewed 22 December 2011

This hotel feels very European. It has a lot of charm and feels quaint. But you should only stay here if you like old-style , well-preserved hotels and rooms and appreciate that style. It has plenty of charm and the rates were very reasonably. I´d definitely stay at the Majestic again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank fiafia41

Thank you for staying with us! We are so glad that you enjoyed your trip. We will see you soon!

Reviewed 16 December 2011

Beautiful room. Walking distance to excellent restaurants. Bring your ear plugs though. Lots of traffic noise and sirens. Paid $20 for parking. Mights stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank koolforkats

Thank you for staying with us! We are so glad you enjoyed your trip. The noise in San Francisco never ends since it is so busy. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 9 December 2011

I'm late to review this - we stayed 7/10/11 to 7/13/11. I had never been to San Francisco, but my fiance had been. We picked this hotel based on a recommendation from a friend who lives down the street. She had family that stayed there in the past that used a friends and family discount. So when I called I said we were visiting a friend who lived down the street and I got about $10 or so off the room each night.

The elevator is old, and the rooms are old but we loved the location and walked and took public trans everywhere. I'm so glad we chose this area and not somewhere more touristy. We ate great food within walking distance, a highlight of the trip for me.

There was a small, older fridge in the room and we did use that. There is no gym but they have a deal with a nearby one where you can go for a few dollars I think.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. We had a nice corver view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank runschicago

Thank you for staying with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your trip! We hope to see you soon!