“Perfect for what we needed”
Review of Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic
Ranked #117 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I'm late to review this - we stayed 7/10/11 to 7/13/11. I had never been to San Francisco, but my fiance had been. We picked this hotel based on a recommendation from a friend who lives down the street. She had family that stayed there in the past that used a friends and family discount. So when I called I said we were visiting a friend who lived down the street and I got about $10 or so off the room each night.

The elevator is old, and the rooms are old but we loved the location and walked and took public trans everywhere. I'm so glad we chose this area and not somewhere more touristy. We ate great food within walking distance, a highlight of the trip for me.

There was a small, older fridge in the room and we did use that. There is no gym but they have a deal with a nearby one where you can go for a few dollars I think.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. We had a nice corver view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank runschicago
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2015

Thank you for staying with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your trip! We hope to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Majestic

Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed here once and would stay here again given a good deal. The rooms are fun and decorated to the period as much as they can be. Hotel staff is very helpful and fun and willing to accomodate you in any way they can. It is close to Japantown which was so much fun and there is a little market within walking distance for in room supplies. There is even a haunted legend which lends to the atmosphere. On the down side, the rooms are a bit overpriced and it is an old hotel so be prepared to hear some noises upstairs from heavy fotted guests and the restaurant attached is pretty nice. Other than that if you are planning on staying in your room for any long period of time make sure you get a junior suite or bigger. It was a fun experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in a smaller room one night and then moved to a bigger suite. So both rooms were nice but...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BunzOpinion
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2015

Thank you for your five star review! We apologize about the price but San Francisco is expensive. Hope we see you soon!

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Liar, liar - right from the start. My husband & I were attending a family reunion in Berkeley & decided we'd like to stay over at an affordable victorian in the City rather than drive the 90 minutes back to our home in Santa Rosa. We booked three weeks in advance through a reputable online service, & received reservation confirmation via email from the booking service AND from the hotel directly. When we got to the hotel to check in, Raj told us that he didn't seem to have our reservation. We told him that actually, just that morning before we left home, we received an email from the hotel confirming our reservation. He scrolled through a few more screens & asked us to step aside wait while he "looked into it."

He came back & told us quite apologetically that, "The online service you used to book your reservation never confirmed it with us at the hotel so it's their fault you don't have a room reserved. The email you received must have been from BookingBuddy. We're all booked now & don't have any more rooms - so sorry." I didn't argue too much at the time because I thought it was possible the email we received was from BookingBuddy & not from the hotel. We didn't have a copy of it with us so could not confirm.

Meanwhile, Raj gave us his number & email & said that he would be happy to "make good" on the booking co's error if we just contacted him before we came to the City again to stay. Needless to say, we came home & confirmed that the (2) emails confirming our reservations were sent FROM THE HOTEL! Which means that they did have our reservation but at some point, double booked it & then went ahead & blamed it on the online booking co. Is it any surprise to learn that as of this date, two months later, we have not had one returned call or email from our "friend" Raj?

There are plenty of other options to stay in San Francisco & most innkeepers are honest. Find one of those!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TessandMax

We are greatly apologetic about the issues concerning the reservation. We will make sure our employees are more trained and professional.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Pros: Very authentic Victorian experience; the lobby is gorgeous and the front desk lady was nice. Cool-looking room (we got a junior suite) with the basic amenities. Decent amount of space. Bed was moderately comfy. We paid $124 for one night in a junior suite, so I considered it a decent room for the price. Good location too and very artfully decorated.

The Cons: I got the suite because it advertised a fireplace. Apparently that doesn't mean the fireplace has to WORK. The front desk lady said that none of them work; the city turned off the power to them or something. So it was kinda false advertising. Secondly, there is a bit of a musty smell to the rooms. Not overpowering, but definitely "authentically aged", haha. Thirdly, the rooms have blackout curtains, but they're literally NAILED to the walls to keep you from pulling them shut (I managed anyway, haha). Finally, the climate control in the room didn't work either, so it was probably in the mid 60's with no hope of making it warmer.

Overall: If you're not picky, the price is decent, but I guess you get what you pay for. For me, the cons tended to outweigh the pros. Decoration and theme is nice, but if you advertise a fireplace, it should work.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Monica B

We apologize about the fire place, the smell and the curtains. We will adjust the rooms to make our future guests eel more comfortable. Come back soon to see what we improved on!

Reviewed 18 October 2011

We were drawn to this place because we loved the idea to stay in an old-fashioned hotel in San Francisco. Unfortunately that plan backfired a little bit.
Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad place there is simply some room for improvement especially considering what you pay- though I guess in high priced San Francisco that could be a widely spread problem.
The look of the place is great, lovely designed, all the old classic style and furniture we hoped for. But that comes with a price: The room had a bit of an old smell that was hard to get out even though we left the windows open all three nights. It is clean though there is just too much old furniture in an a bit too small room I guess. I wasn't a big fan of the bathroom either (which was very small), though mostly clean the old shower required you to be fully surrounded by curtains that hang down into the water to protect the wall papers. I would have preferred a better solution for that.
I loved the funny designs in the old elevator, like I said before, the look of the "Majestic" is great but maybe its best time has passed?! I mean, old and old fashioned is good but this start to edge over to a bit run down unfortunately. We were out most of the time anyway to explore the city but I think the hotel needs bit of work.
The rooms are equipped with fireplaces but they don't work, we asked about that and were told they were missing some sort of upgrade?? I know, in California the need for fireplaces is rather low but when you advertise your hotel to have a fireplace it ought to be a functioning one (we were there in October and wouldn't have minded a nice fire at night).
The location is not too bad, public transportation can get you around easily from there since it is kind of central to lots of sights. Not sure how well it works for parking.
You find lots of Cafés, Restaurants and Bars in the neighborhood (therefor we never used the hotels restaurant which seemed a bit overpriced as well) but the road the hotel is on is rather quiet and surrounded by apartments mostly.
We enjoyed our stay despite all the negative points but a better deal would have made our stay more pleasant. And I don't think I would choose it again unless things changed a bit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple