“Worst experience of my life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #183 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Vancouver, Canada
“Worst experience of my life!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Horrible location! Did NOT feel safe at night, I swore I was going to get mugged!

The staff put me in a handicap room with a stench of Urine so strong I almost threw up. When I demanded to be moved, staff begrudgingly moved me. I was put in a room that I swear was a crime scene! Boarded up windows, no heat, no functioning amenities and a door lock that looked like it was kicked in!

I abandoned two nights of my prepaid reservation just to get out of there! Worst experience of my life!

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank AInstin
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We would first like to thank you for taking time to post your comments about your stay. We are dissapointed that you did not enjoy your experience. We have heard your feedback and will immediately examine the areas you mentioned.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was going to a trade show and needed a room - i could have stayed at the W, St. Regis or Palace for $400 - $500 a night....or USE HOTWIRE and paid $69 bucks for the Whitcomb.....so, i stayed at the Whitcomb. It's a very old hotel and all in all just fine. The downside is the location is in a rough part of town. I had no issue with anyone and experienced no issues. The Gym is very poor so i went outside and ran up and down the subway stairs. ....felt a little like Rocky :)

The internet is very slow, but they do have an okay Starbucks downstairs. To get into the city jump on the subway / bart for 1 stop or get on the bus.....take 5-10min.

Again, okay place....saved a ton of money....but don't expect the Ritz ;)

Room Tip: Book via Hotwire.....$69 bucks for us
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank orangecat1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for taking time to post your feedback. We are pleased to know that you found the hotel to be a great value and that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate all the comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Thanks Again,

Fife, Washington
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Our stay at this hotel was one of the best experiences I have ever had with a hotel and its staff. Everyone was friendly, starting with the valet and ending with the bell staff. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Always smiles! The hotel is in a great location to get anywhere you want to in the San Francisco area. On top of being in a great location the hotel itself is beautiful and historical. It was very clean and even the cleaning staff was amazingly friendly when I walked by them in the morning. I would tell anyone and everyone looking for a hotel in this area to stay here. It was a magical stay that got better every minute I was there. I plan on going back to San Fran just because of this wonderful hotel and its staff! Thank you all for the best stay I have ever had!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We would like to take time to thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay. It is great to hear that this is one of the best hotel experieince you have ever had and I will personally share that with the entire staff. We do hope that each time you are in the area you return to stay with us again.

Puyallup, Washington, United States
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This hotel was great. The staff was amazing and I came for my birthday weekend. The night manager greeted me with a Happy Birthday and the front desk lady Olga made us feel special all weekend. The Hotel itself is beautiful and takes you back to a better time and place. Our room had the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on in a hotel and I am pretty picky about that. The bathroom is a very good size and our room even had a walk in closet. I felt at home and did not want to leave. Thank you to all of the staff at Hotel Whitcomb. I can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay and Happy Birthday again from all the staff. We are very pleased that you chose to spend this special day with us and that our staff treated you so well. We do hope to see you again in the future.

Thank You.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Whitcomb. We had a number of requests and questions, and all of them were addressed in a very prompt, friendly, personal manner. You can tell the employees really care about their guests and want them to have a great stay. They are willing to go the extra mile to make guests comfortable. The beautiful, historical aspects of the hotel were the icing on the cake.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent stay. We really appreciate all the kind words. We do hope that since you had a great experience that you will stay with us again in the future.