All reviewsgames roomnespresso machinerock n rollskee ballbathroom wallpaperunion squareshuffle boardfunky hotelcool vibeamazing hotelpost streetroom serviceking suitehotel barsmall roomdefinitely stay here againloved this hotel
Reviewed 5 April 2018

I come to San Francisco a few times a year and this was my second time at Hotel Zeppelin.My first experience was very good and I chronicled it here in an earlier review. However, after my most recent experience I will not be returning.

We checked in on Easter Sunday and from the moment we checked in we were treated poorly by the two young ladies at the front desk. First, we arrived around 10 o'clock. I understood that no rooms were available, we were early. However, I travel often and usually when a guest arrives early, and is sitting in the hotel, efforts are made to get them into their room. No such luck here as we were made to wait until past 3 PM to get into our room. During this time myself and my family were exhausted and sleeping in the hotel lobby. Yet no effort was made to accommodate us and it is extremely hard to believe that no rooms were available sooner.

I was willing to overlook this, after all it was a holiday, maybe things were just backed up. When we were finally told we could check in, and we had to ask repeatedly, no effort was made to let us know we could check in, we encountered a rude and confrontational attitude from the girl behind the front desk. I gave her my credit card, the same one I used to secure the reservation, so she could put it on file for incidentals. However, it apparently wouldn't swipe on her machine. I was not carrying another card and asked her to simply enter it manually. This produced a confrontation with her where she stated "all I want is another card." She claimed she could not enter the card manually. This was an outright lie as all merchants have the ability to enter card numbers manually. It might be a hassle but it can be done. Regardless, I didn't have another card to offer her. I had already paid the hotel close to 1,000 dollars for three nights and your not going to allow me to check in because you can't swipe my credit card and don't want to simply enter it manually!? Absolutely absurd. At this point I asked for a manager, both of the young ladies heard me ask for a manager. However, neither acknowledged me or notified management that I wanted to speak with them. In the end my card information was entered manually......surprise , surprise.

This was not my last disappointing experience with the front desk ladies. The hotel has a bar in it .....however, the bar has a sign on it everyday that says its closed for the day. Well we had asked the front desk ladies if the bar would be open on one of our nights there. We were told "sure, ill get a bartender." Ten minutes later we ask if a bartender is coming and get an absolute attitude as she stomps off to locate someone to pour us a drink. She then returns and says that the bar is closed for the day......an hour later the bar was open, by this time we had ventured out for a drink elsewhere.

As if this was not enough, it gets better. My room had thermostat issues that required maintenance to be called on three separate occasions. The first night we had no climate control and had to sleep in 75 degree temperatures and had to sweat the entire night. The thermostat would not even turn on. The next day maintenance came up and "fixed it". Well the exact issue repeated itself, the thermostat would not even turn on. This resulted in our second call and visit from maintenance. After this visit the unit worked and we could adjust the temperature in our room......for a day. On our last night there the thermostat broke again and our AC would not stop blowing leaving us in a room that was 65 degrees. I can tell you the exact temperatures because it was displayed on the thermostat, this was the only part of the unit that worked correctly. At NO TIME did management become involved even though a guest had encountered three separate maintenance issues in less than 72 hours. Furthermore, nobody ever offered us a different room. Absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional.

This was a family trip for my son's 15th birthday. We brought him to Hotel Zeppelin specifically because my son is a classic rock fan and we felt that the classic rock theme of the hotel would be fun for him. Unfortunately, our experience with the front desk and maintenance issues really ruined the trip for us. What's even more outrageous is the cost we paid to stay at this hotel! We paid close to 1,000 dollars for three nights. The money we paid got us disrespectful and rude service, followed by incompetent maintenance service that resulted in us being uncomfortable in our room.

Union Square has MANY great hotels. I strongly encourage you to consider your options before you stay at Hotel Zeppelin. You work hard for your money, don't spend it here for rude and disrespectful service and a room you won't be comfortable in.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sean F
Reviewed 4 April 2018

The hotel has a cool style, interesting decor and in a good location. However, the entire hotel smelled like dog pee. That's not an exaggeration. Literally from the moment you walk in you get this whiff of pee or something worse. It didn't stop in the lobby - it is in all the rooms, halls, & elevator. In my room, I had to spray almost an entire bottle of perfume to try to cover the smell. Since that didn't work, I made 4 cups of coffee in the in-room coffee machine and walked around the room to make it smell like coffee. That kind of worked. I brought back leftover marinara meatballs from an Italian restaurant and left the container open so the smell of the food would cover the terrible stench. That eventually worked and I could rest easy. Except now my room smelled like perfume, coffee, and meatballs. Something needs to happen with the smell!! I traveled with 6 other people, all in different rooms and floors of the hotel and all said the same thing about the smell. It was terrible. If they fixed the smell, it is a good hotel.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Very groovy hotel with a pop/rock style. Our room was a good size, comfortable bed, very clean, loved the decor, great wifi service, front desk staff was very pleasant. The restaurant attached to the hotel (the Rambler) had a fantastic breakfast, great music in the evening and the cocktails were nice. Would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank ameyer587777
HotelZeppelin, General Manager at Hotel Zeppelin San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Hi there ameyer587777,
I am so thrilled to hear that you had a blast at our hotel! We pride ourselves on being a funky, hip hotel with lots of fun activities to partake in while you are our guests. I will be passing along your praises to the management over at our restaurant Rambler, they will be ecstatic you enjoyed breakfast and cocktails! We look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Peace & Love
Antonio Flores

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This is a very lovely hotel, found the rooms to be a good size, nice big TV to watch, shower was lovely etc
Only thing I would note for the money I paid they should supply some kind of continental breakfast, yes you got free coffee but that wasn't that good.
Also I got charged for 7 bucks for a bottle of water that I did not drink and was still in my room when I checked out. I only drank one small bottle that I was given.
I would like to say I would stay here again but it was just way to expensive.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank 4x4rocker
Reviewed 29 March 2018

I definitely had my doubts when I first made this reservation but after spending 2 nights here I was very pleased with Hotel Zeppelin.
My room was not in the main building but the one that you had to go to 4 then take a ramp then take another elevator to arrive. This part definitely confused me and I had to go back down to the lobby to better understand. Once I found the ramp it was fine but give yourself time if you're in that building. Also, making the transit felt a little creepy.
My room was small and looked into the center of the hotel with the ACs, not much of a view. I could also see into other rooms but I closed the blinds - they also had blackout shades. But aside from the space it had all of the amenities of a larger hotel. Nice big digital TV, robe, spacious clean bathroom. I kind of liked that they had the shampoo/conditioner in big bottles and noted that if you take them you will be charged $35. First time I've seen that and I thought that was inventive.
My room was super quiet which was a huge plus. The lobby seemed cool but was smaller than I thought it would be. I didn't have time to visit the game room since I was on a work trip. However, I would stay here again. Since my work was paying, I don't feel that extra tug that others might feel but the added $25-$30 for the hotel fee is confusing and there doesn't seem to be a way around it...why not just add it to the hotel room rate?

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
HotelZeppelin, General Manager at Hotel Zeppelin San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

nycbuttercup,

I am glad to hear that you enjoined staying at our unique boutique!
On your next stay take a moment to visit my favorite part of the hotel. The game room! You will not be disappointed. Please give us a call next time you would like to stay and book directly so we can get you in a sunny, spacious room in our main tower! This way we can also have all taxes and fees disclosed at the time of booking.

Peace and Love,