“Really good service and clean rooms with character”

Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer
Ranked #95 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 26 March 2012

For business I normally stay at the nearby Hotel des Artes but it was full so I booked here. It seems to be another good find and value. Rooms are very clean and simple. The staff try hard to provide great service. As a bonus feature, the parkade is just across the road for ease of travel.

I'd recommend this hotel.

There are newer reviews for Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I recently spent 5 nights at the Crescent while attending a conference. What a great hotel! The staff were genuinely interested in ensuring I had a good time - they greeted me by name when I would come in for the day, offered suggestions for dining and tours, and seemed genuinely helpful. The room was great - larger than I expected and very comfortable. I did hear street noise in the early evenings, but nothing after 10 pm or so. The Crescent was centrally located, convenient to get to (I took the BART), clean, interesting decor, and the staff was excellent. I will stay there again.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Crescent hotel located a short block from Union Square is a real gem in this expensive cosmopolitan city! My recent 3 night stay for a conference was an overall great experience. Like many of the hotels in the area - the Crescent is an updated "old" building that makes a nice boutiquey feeling place to stay. The lobby is clean and comfortable - with a free general purpose room where the complimentary continental breakfast is served. The junior room is definitely fine for a single occupant or a couple who can live with a non-king bed. The bathroom was very clean and the amenities were surprising given the low-cost of the room. The mattress, bedding and pillows were very comfortable and comparable to the $300/night big names around the corner. The service was great from the operator and front desk - Eric - who works reception in the day was friendly and helpful beyond my expectations. The Crescent is highly recommended given its location and (typical) room prices. However, it's not a Kimpton property so it has some rough edges - it's noisier than most hotels (Stockton street traffic) and has no scenic views. For those who won't spend much time in their rooms - I don't know how you can go wrong!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd Floor get additional noise from the lively bar in the evening.
Reviewed 9 March 2012

To give you a sense of how bad this hotel is, this is my first hotel review after years and years of traveling for pleasure and business. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable hotel room in downtown SF, keep looking.

I had an early business meeting in SF. I was flying in the night before and immediately after the meeting, flying to LA, so I wanted an inexpensive hotel in downtown SF for one night. I found the Crescent and after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, I was cautiously optimistic.

I arrived from NYC very tired. The Crescent is two blocks from Union Square, but the block is a little creepy. Entering the hotel, I was happy with my choice. The lobby is clean and sleek. All would be good.

I checked in. There was only one person at the front desk so I needed to wait a bit. The lady was friendly but had a very difficult time understanding English. Perhaps it was my thick New York accent, but she only got about half of what I said.

Took the elevator up to room 401. What a dump! Holy cow! And it smelled *so* bad. Maybe from the cleaning products. I'm not sure. I am not at all sensitive to smells, but this was horrible. Perhaps this explained the Dyson air cleaner in the room?

The room overlooked the street and a parking garage. Noise was pretty bad. The room was in a desperate need of a paint job and overall dingy. The heat was lacking and the room was freezing.

I went to hang up my suit for my meeting in the morning, but alas, there was no closet. Instead, I had a coat rack in the room. I couldn't believe it, so I took a picture, which I've attached.

I went to set the alarm for my meeting, but there was no alarm. There was no clock at all and no radio in the room.

I went to clean my glasses, but there was no tissue in the room. There is, however, a 24-hour Walgreens within 2 blocks of the hotel, so for a whopping $1.59, I purchased a box of tissues.

Is this how the Crescent keeps their costs down - no heat, no tissues, no radio, no alarm clock?

In the morning, I went for a run. The woman that checked me in gave me a map, but just to be certain, I asked the gentleman at he front desk about the route she recommended. Glad I did. He gave me a better route that was great. Glad I asked. The guy seemed good, so I asked if he could hold my key while I ran, which he did.

Came back from my run and again there was only one person at the front desk so I needed to wait 10 minutes to get my key. Very frustrating.

Went back to my room to take a shower, No bath towels - just cheap, small towels that had been washed a few too many times. The towels were shredded. I should have brought my own towel.

Had some time to kill so I ate a little bit at the continental breakfast. It was 'ok', at best.

Finally checked out and asked for a bill. I was told I couldn't get an itemized bill because I booked through Hotel.com. (I actually booked through Expedia.com, but that's irrelevant.) I never stayed at a hotel that couldn't give me a receipt at check-out.

I know I went in to great detail. I just wanted to show that there was a problem at every turn at the Crescent. The only positive is its great location to Union Square, but I would have preferred to walk a few extra blocks to get a clean room with a clock radio, no smell and towels that weren't shredded.

If you're looking for a hotel room in downtown SF, keep looking.

3  Thank where1swaldo
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We recently spent a week at the Crescent Hotel, it was everything the other reviewers mentioned. We had a room at the front of the hotel and it was very noisy, but we spent so little time in the room that we didn't bother complaining or trying to get moved, on the plus side the room was a good size and the bed was really comfortable. I thought the reception staff were friendly and helpful. What this hotel has going for it is the location and the price. We booked on hot-wire and it cost approx $60 a night and it is right downtown and for this reason I would stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the building
1  Thank food-travel-fun