“Convenient downtown hotel”

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #93 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My first time at Serrano and I am very impressed with the location. Let it be business or tourism, staying at this hotel will put you bang in the center of downtown. Very close to Powell BART station (0.5 miles) and about 0.4 miles to get a ride on the world famous cable car. Westfield mall is 0.5 miles too. The intersection of Powell and Market Street where all the shopping is, is only 0.5 miles.

Close to market street means it is a bit far to the touristy locations of Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Pier 39, Embarcadero road etc. All the destinations are around 2 miles from the hotel.

Regarding food, never had in Serrano's restaurant but there are plenty of restaurants catering to all variety of people around Serrano. You will get almost all the cuisines around Serrano. That is not a problem at all.

Regarding the staff, they are OK. They could do a better job, be more friendly. That doesn't mean they have done a bad job, they are there for whatever you want, but they could be a bit more friendly.

The rooms are medium sized with flat screen televisions. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom is adequate. If you have 3 to 4 big suitcases, it might be a bit cramped but majority of the rooms in San Francisco are of this size.

One thing I was really disappointed about this place is Wifi. It is complimentary but sucks big time. It is slow by US standards and is very inconsistent, by far the worst internet experience I have had in all the hotels I stayed. Terrible, without this problem I would have rated the hotel 4/5.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Scorpionxylo
There are newer reviews for Serrano Hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Kimpton does it right every time in my experience. The Seranno was no exception. Employees are friendly and knowledgable, room was small, clean and in fine condition despite not being recently remodeled. Lobby was cozy, ornate and served as a great space for the requisite 5pm happy hour. Concierce recommended dinner at Le Colonial, a French/Vietnamese restraurant on an alleywat a few blocks from the hotel. It turned out to be one of the most memorable meals I've had in a long time.

I'm planning on staying there again on my next trip to SF!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank pdxmike
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear pdxmike,

Thank you so much for your comments, I am really happy to read that you enjoyed your time at Serrano and I am pleased you got to try Le Colonial, it's truly a great place!

We can't wait to see you again soon, please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of personal assistance.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 1 night after a trip to Bug Sur. We were hoping to have one, good day in the city. I have stayed at Kimpton hotels before and loved them, so I was willing to pay a little extra for the the Serrano Hotel for the joy of staying in a Kimpton. I had read reviews that there were bed bugs in this hotel, but I booked it anyway. First, I want to say that Kimpton has a strong reputation and for good reasons. Their free wine receptions are always fun, and overall their service is accommodating and friendly. The Sarrano is good in many ways--same fun wine reception, quirky decor, fairly friendly service, and good location. But I do think that some of the rooms are in some need upgrading. The paint is a bit worn and the fixtures, baseboards, and carpeting are in dire need of cleaning or replacing.

The first room we were offered (unfortunately I cannot remember the room number) appeared nice. But I am terrified of bed bugs and check every room I stay in very thoroughly, and since I had read about reports of bugs in this hotel I was determined to check it. The mattress appeared clean, but when we took the headboard off, we found bug casings and eggs. It looked as if the eggs had been killed--in fact, we didn't find any live bugs, but finding dead bugs and eggs was upsetting enough for me. Bed bugs are a sad reality in today's world, and they do not discriminate based on whether a hotel is one or five stars. They are not the result of a dirty hotel, but careless travelers who bring them into the hotel. BUT, if a hotel has had a bug problem in the past, CLEAN IT UP. I think Serrano has treated the problem rooms and we found the aftermath of the extermination (no live bugs, just dead remains), but I WISH they had cleaned the room up after the exterminators were there. Even finding dead bugs was enough to give me the heebejeebes and make my skin crawl.

I promptly called the front desk, saying that it appeared there had been a bed bug problem in this room and I wanted to be moved to another room as far from this one as possible where no guests have complained of bugs in the past. The woman at the front desk was polite and said she's send someone up to move us because she wanted me to be as comfortable in my room as possible. And we searched the second room even more thoroughly, and we found nothing--no dead bugs or live bugs. We had a clean room, but I still didn't sleep well that night.

I still think Kimpton hotels are wonderful, quirky, and worth staying in, but I strongly recommend that after a bug problem, especially a bed bug problem, the Serrano Hotel should read up on where these little critter like to hide, and send their housekeeping staff in to clean the crap out of the rooms after the bugs have been killed. I totally understand that bed bugs happen, but once a hotel gets rid of them, they should clean up.

So, I don't think I'd discourage someone from staying here, but I would suggest searching your rooms before unpacking. In fact, I'd recommend any traveler do that no matter what hotel he/she is staying in. And I think once Serrano does a good clean of the rooms, this place will once again be a gem in San Francisco.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank AnnArborVino

Dear AnnArborVino,

First of all, thanks for your comments, it is extremely important for us that situations like this, do not happen... ever! I will order a thorough sweep immediately as this is not acceptable. And I would like to thank you for your honest comments, it is not often that we hear the truth about this industry wide problem. We have a very professional and strict checklist that we follow along with a professional pest control company, and this should not have fallen through the cracks.

I know that there is very little I could say to make up for lost sleep that night but if there's anything I can do for you in the future please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the hotel. And thank you very much for taking the time to post this review, if we don't hear about our guests experiences, we don't have an opportunity to correct the flaws. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to impress.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Lovely potential however didn't deliver. Toilet clogs, sink clogs and small rooms.. Staff was amazing however the hotel itself doesn't live up to the expectation in a Kimpton Hote.l

Room Tip: Business section was ridiculous.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 294kk
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Kempka,

I am sorry to hear that we didn't deliver as you expected. :( I am very thankful for the comment about our staff, these guys are truly amazing.

We hope to correct these problems soon and then, I am hopeful you will give us another chance at gaining your trust. If I can be of personal assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I liked the look of this hotel, and the theme, e.g. a games hotel, unfortunately when we visited the building was under serious structural renovation.

The lobby was nice and shabby, something you do not see in America very often. The room was big and strange. The room was actually two rooms, one with a big TV hidden in furniture, and I could swear it was a CRT.

Location is very central. I am on the sidelines on this one - based on the renovations going on at the time, it might just be a great hotel today - who knows?

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear William H,

I was reading your review and remembered the restoration of our historic building! It is true that we had some work going on, but that time, thanks to our wonderful team, has come and gone. :)

We remain true to our building's history and we got it looking like it was built yesterday. I hope you will have the chance to come back and experience it. In the meantime, you should check out the pictures on our website.

If I can ever be of personal assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.