“Bed Bugs!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lusaka
“Bed Bugs!”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Bed bugs turned an otherwise enjoyable stay at the King George Hotel into a frustrating and itchy visit to San Francisco. When we told the front desk of the bed bugs issue they referred us to a local doctor, offered to dry clean our clothes, and helped us to find another property to stay at...so that was appreciated.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank RedRocks40
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we truly appreciate your business. It’s unfortunate that you may have encountered an issue with this stubborn pest in your room during your stay. We’re glad you felt we responded to your needs under the circumstances in a timely manner. We work hand in hand with a nationally known pest control company along with a very aggressive documented internal preventative pest control program. We have absolute confidence that we’ve addressed this matter in the most effective way possible and haven’t had any reported issues for some time now.

We would welcome the opportunity to accommodate you the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
King George Hotel Management and Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed in the King George Hotel in November 2010 on the first leg of my US part of my around-the-world ticket, and my work colleague did a search & found it. We thought it would be a good choice as it is close to the BART train system from the airport, and because it was close to Union Square.

All that is true, however, I tend to think that knowing what I know of SF now, I would rather stay in the bay area, as it is more tourist-orientated & there is more happening there. KGH is downtown, so visitors to SF will find themselves commuting to the bay area to see anything, and for what is on offer downtown, you can get a tourist bus line to take you around.

Regarding the hotel, it has a lovely foyer, but the rooms are quite small, and the bathroom is tiny. Although I am a solo traveller, I still like some space, but KGH is similar to what you will find in NY or Europe in terms of size.

The furniture in the room seemed rather old, and I could tell that someone had been smoking in the room or at least on that level, as I could smell stale cigarette smoke, mainly on the first night. I don't know if after that the room managed to air itself out, or I just got used to it.

I went for breakfast at the neighbouring cafe - I can't recall what happened with the breakfast (whether I was not impressed with what the hotel offered or if I simply thought it was too expensive), but the diner that is almost next door is very good and well priced.

Internet access was fine - I typed the wrong password at first, but once I straightened it out with reception I had constant uninterrupted wi-fi.

It was quite loud when I was there, but one morning was not exactly the hotel's fault - the "occupy" people marched down the street with megaphones blaring.

So while I wouldn't call it terrible, I just think that it was average, and I could have probably got a pretty good place near the bay area. It appears I even forgot to take my usual half dozen photos of the hotel, I only took a couple.

One thing that is depressing is the number of homeless begging for change around the area - I couldn't even get 20 yards from the door without someone bailing me up. Even walking to the taxi rank on the corner saw me encounter at least one request for change. There isn't much the hotel can do about this, but that is what you are dealing with when you stay in this location.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank PietroMorrizio
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed here over New Year after seeing the hotel advertised in a guide book. I am so glad that we did. The staff on the front desk were very friendly and check in was efficient - just what we needed after an 11 hour flight.

The rooms are excellent. Large bed and bathroom and attractively decorated.

The guy on the bar the few nights before New Year was an asset to the hotel - friendly and never let the beer glass go empty.

Only thing that I would perhaps like to see is some snacks for sale in the bar, and perhaps a wider selection of drinks in the bar. These are only minor quibbles though.

Excellent location for Union Square.

Would not hesitate staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up just incase there is noise from the street below.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stewart C
Dear Guest,

First I want to thank you for choosing the King George Hotel for accommodations during your travels to San Francisco. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us! We appreciate your feedback regarding perhaps expanding the selection of offerings and adding snacks at the bar. I will be sure to share your kind comments with my team regarding the quality of your rooms and service from staff! We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Bertrand H. Newson
King George Hotel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The King George is defintiely a step back in time. Very clean, super-friendly & helpful staff and a central Union Square location.....but i don't think I'll stay there again.
The rooms are very small....i can deal with this....but everything in the room feels old. (such as the furniture, curtains, bedspread and general amenities) There is no a/c in the rooms, just a ceiling fan. Had to sleep with the windows open for air and in SF the noise level can be VERY LOUD. Bring earplugs.
Had trouble turning off the heat our first night (think it was an old radiator) but they responded very quickly to help us out.
Anyway, it was extremely inexpensive and the bed was comfortable. Again, very clean. Personally, next time, I will spent another $30 bucks a night an get a more modern experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goldie800
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 January 2012

A friend and I stayed for four nights in this hotel, booked because she had a positive experience there in the past and we got a great rate. We changed rooms twice due to an issue with the heating pipes...beginning at about midnight, very loud clanging began sporadically for the next several hours. The staff tried to be helpful, but since the maintenance person wasn't working when the noise was happening (and they said no one else had complained...hard to believe), they didn't know how to fix it. They did take one night's charge off our bill. We heard more street noise in the third room, but that was to be expected given the hotel's great location in Union Square. The rooms were very clean, beds comfortable and water hot. The bathroom was tiny, but manageable. The front desk staff person offered to arrange my return shuttle to the airport when I checked in -- very helpful since I didn't have to remember to do it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends