“Comfortable neighborhood bar with tasty bar food”
Review of Hogwash

Hogwash
Ranked #247 of 6,298 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Bar
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Description: HOGWASH is a modern California gastropub featuring a focused menu of artisanal, housemade sausages and other small fare, expertly paired with 30 of the world's finest craft beers on tap.
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

The beer selection is excellent. The fried pickles are outstanding. The sausage selection is varied and each is very good. This is a great place to try a few different beers and eat with friends. The seating areas are comfortable and the staff is friendly. One you eat here, you will eat to return.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

Came here with a buddy, we enjoyed a few local craft beers recommended by our bartender. We shared the sausage platter with their twice fried fries, absolutly delicious, great spot!

Reviewed 16 April 2018

We shared a pretzel appetizer and then I had the Burnin' Brock and my travel companion had the Abe Froman. The mustard that was served with the pretzel was absolutely amazing. I don't normally go crazy for mustard but this was top notch. The Burnin' Brock was very good too. The flavor of the chicken sausage was some of the best I've ever had and the fried avocado was a nice, unique touch. Also, a great selection of beers. I would go back to this restaurant.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

The food here was very good. The spicy sausage was actually spicy and the accompaniments were a great extra. Even though it was fairly expensive, I would say it's in line with San Francisco prices so no complaints here.

The restaurant itself was also pretty cool - bench seating and nice bar area. Quite hip.

Our biggest problem stemmed from being sat near the kitchen. It must've been about half 9ish and the bar decided that it would be closing soon (it sounded like a staff members leaving do) and they decided to clean out the bins. One of the staff wheeled their mouldy food waste bin to the kitchen entrance (about 3 feet away from where I was sitting) and then decided to start clearing the bins. Mouldy food waste was poured from this bin into another. The bins were then cleaned by spraying water from the spray hose into the bins, swilling it out and then pouring the disgusting water into the bin next to it. This was all done very visibly to some customers and was also next to the food preparation area and I would imagine the dirty spray water probably went near the food. In the end we requested a table change and left fairly promptly.

Overall - would definitely go back for the food and drink which was brilliant but have been very put off by the bin issues.

1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 19 March 2018

I went here last night--St Patrick's--with a buddy after discovering the Rogue Brewpub was going up in flames. We had talked about going here anyway; neither of us had been to Hogwash, and we were only tipped off to it via TripAdvisor, but a number 1 TA rated craft beer joint in San Francisco is well worth checking out: it would be similar to the #1 sushiya in Tokyo or the #1 Cajun-Creole restaurant in New Orleans. We went; we saw; we agreed. For out-of-towners, I've given some tips on how to get to Hogwash at the end of my review.

This place has the largest and best selection of craft brews I've found in San Francisco, a city that is chock full of upscale watering holes. While some local pubs stick to half a dozen or so hardy perennials like Smithwick's, Bass, and Anchor Steam, the majority of the two dozen brews at Hogwash were terra incognita to me. Their strong suit is Northern California microbrewery creations, but they currently have four Belgians, two Germans, a Quebecois, an Icelandic, and a few out-of-state beers on tap, as well as a pineapple cider.

The restaurant has nice clean lines, which are urbane if somewhat minimalist: the most spectacular decoration was the glassware behind the bar, noting in particular the row of bright and sparkling five-pint-capacity "hog goblets."

All the food is fresh, and they make their own sausages. I concur with some of the other TA reviewers that the price-tag on the sausages is rather hefty, and we both refrained from ordering any food. However the fellow next to us got the sausage sampler platter, which looked fabulous; he told us it tasted even better than it looked; and although he appeared to be a serious trencherman, he wasn't able to finish everything on the platter. So next go-round, we'll go at mid-day and try their grub. Challenged by TA to rate Service, Food and Value, I gave "Food" a "Very Good" but that's strictly on appearance.

San Francisco is one of the best cities on earth to find world-class bars pubs; competition is stiff, which is good for the consumer of craft beer. But I concur with other TripAdvisor reviewers. Hogwash is the #1 that I've found in Frisco.

To get there: Hogwash is on Sutter near the corner of Mason. Parking round here is challenging and expensive. But from North Beach, you can take a bus to the south end of the Stockton tunnel, and from there walk to Hogwash in three or four minutes. And if you take either north-south cable car line, you can walk from Powell to Hogwash in one minute. The closest BART station is Powell; the Market-Montgomery station is slightly further away, but a more pleasant walk. Hogwash is on the north side of Sutter a few doors west of the Hotel Rex. Hogwash's sign is relatively small, but the Rex sign is enormous, so that's your landmark.