“One of my favorite hotels to stay in.”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
CA
“One of my favorite hotels to stay in.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I love InterContinental SF. Their rooms are very nice and staff is very helpful. I come here to go to the spa. They have a beautiful spa. I leave feeling stress free and recharged.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank rachaelreustle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

A 3-night stay that was completely forgettable. I'm finding that the InterContinental chain is very uneven across properties and locations. Or, maybe service is challenging in all of them? This is a fairly new hotel and I was surprised by its lack of appealing architectural and interior design. The lobby is awful. A large, open space with very high ceilings such that the noise from the bar and restaurant were deafening. I could barely hear the front desk attendant during check-in at 10:30 PM. While the hotel is modern, it's sterile without any warmth with too many slick surfaces to absorb the noise. My initial junior suite (corner unit, windows on two sides) was awful. The layout is dysfunctional and I dislike large, open suites with no wall barriers within the space. I moved to a standard king the next day (which took FOREVER to accomplish; corner room, windows on two sides) and it was a much better room. Smaller, but there was a clear demarcation between the bed, the room door, and the bathroom. The room was clean and modern with updated amenities. However, where are you supposed to put the coffee maker? The nearest outlet with a flat surface was the night stand! Nothing special about the bathroom - standard issue (e.g., Hilton or Marriott). The front desk attendants were mostly unhelpful - they couldn't make a decision until they talked to a manager and they had to consult a manager on 3 different occasions. Housekeeping was very annoying. My electronic door notice clearly indicated "do not disturb," but I received a note at my door and then, later in the day, a phone call. What part of "do not disturb" did she not understand?!! There's nothing one can do about the overpriced Internet. Until there's a consumer revolt, nothing will be done. The price of parking is always high in places like San Francisco and NYC. It's one of those things you have to accept. Otherwise, don't park your car. I'm less concerned about the price of parking as I am about the price of a room where service is seriously challenging (as it was here) or if the room is unclean or nothing works in the room. I tried breakfast on 2 days. The first day breakfast was great. The eggs were cooked to perfection and the french toast was excellent. The next time, it wasn't so good: the french toast was burned. Overall, the hotel isn't anything special. Much ado about nothing. I just found the people who work there less than helpful; a standard, modern room that can be found anywhere; and a general lack of sufficient amenities at this price point. Unlikely I'll return. There are other options in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Apollo P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Dear Apollo P,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best InterContinental Hotel around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our standard king bed room as well as the breakfast.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the poor service our hotel staff provided and the design of our hotel. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hoffman Estates, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

The staff was very friendly and efficient and the hotel was quite comfortable. We upgraded to the corner suite and it was well worth the cost. Beautiful views and so comfortable and spacious. We were on the 30th floor and it was very quiet for being in the middle of all the bustle.

There was a lot to see and do within a few blocks of the hotel and enjoyed exploring a new area (for us) in SoMa.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Matawan, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed here due a conference next door at the convention center west. Nice clean room fairly large but there were quite a few things that for $200+ shoudl be better. Parking (valet only) is $53 a night. The car was only $45 a day to rent, so I returned it and took the BART. Next, Internet was $15 per day, way too much. Hotel is in a dark and deserted area a few blocks from Market. A very scary walk at night with many, many homeless panhadlers. I would not leta lady walk alone in this area. There is a high end mall around the corner, but again you have lots of homeless. They have Keurg coffee maked in teh room, however house keeping only relapced the coffee once during my 6 day stay. No coffee or water avail in lobby at all. Also, there are no vending maching for soda in teh hotel, you can have a soda out of the mini bar, but its $4 plus service charges. Total rip off! There's a lot to like here but you have to pay a prety penny for it. They nickle and dime you to death here. I've always wondered why a Hampton Inn for alot lless per night can give you so much and a hotel like this needs to tack on hundres of dollars per stay? Would i stay here again? Not on my dime!

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TRAVELINMANFROMNJ
Clearwater, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We travelled from Tampa for our first family trip to CA. Stayed here for two nights. From the bellhop to the concierge to the doorman,everyone here went out of their way to ensure that we had a pleasant and comfortable experience. The beds were sooo comfy! The shower and bath in our suite and the aromatherapy products were awesome! They made getting ready a spa like experience. The club suite was like a home away from home. Our family enjoyed the breakfast, drinks and snacks there each day of our stay. They had free Internet access there, which helped us plan the rest of our trip. I must say that Juan Carlos stood out as the best rooms manager we've ever encountered. He is doing a spectacular job with this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012