“Great Deal on Hotwire”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #34 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our family of two adults and two children, ages 9 and 11, stayed at this hotel for part of a Northern California family vacation for three nights, April 1 - 4, 2012. I booked it through Hotwire at a rate of $155.00 per night, and for that price we got a fabulous deal. The Hotwire listing stated "4.5 Star Hotel, Union Square West, Moscone Center." I was pretty sure we would get the InterContinental and we are so glad we did! I used a website called "Better Bidding" to help me predict we'd get the InterContinental - so helpful!

It was my first experience using Hotwire, and I was expecting to be assigned to a low-level room by a noisy elevator. Upon check-in, we were thrilled to learn we had been upgraded to an 18th floor bay-view room. Our room was spotlessly clean, quiet (with the occasional sound of a fire truck, but it was San Francisco we chose to stay in!), and the double beds were very comfortable. (The sheets and bedding were even more comfortable to me than that of the Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay, which was the hotel we went to after our stay here - so kuddos to the InterContinental!) My only wish was for queen beds, not doubles, in the rooms. (The Ritz had doubles, too, by the way.)

The location of this hotel met our needs quite well. Since we knew it would be about $50.00 to park a car we did not rent one. I would recommend to all families traveling in San Francisco to not rent a car, not only because of the expense, but it's very stressful to navigate around a busy city like SF with all of the bus lanes, speeding taxi cabs and people. It was a $10.00 cab fare to Pier 33 to do Alcatraz, and about $20.00 to the Exploratorium. We definitely saved money and aggravation by not renting a car.

Because of expense, we only dined once at the hotel restaurant and it was for the breakfast buffet. We had met a very nice fellow guest at the pool one evening who gave us his two adult breakfast vouchers he wouldn't be using. Since the hotel breakfast buffet costs $28.00 per adult, this was another huge savings for us and we were so thankful! The cost for each of our children was $18.00 and we enjoyed a delicious buffet with fabulous service - a very special breakfast! On other mornings, we dined at a nearby Denny's, Starbucks and Mel's Diner - all within a block of the hotel. There are many, many restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. We walked to dinner one night at a great seafood restaurant called Anchor and Hope - wonderful food and very different from the seafood we get at home in Atlanta! =) We also dined in the food court of the mall one evening. I am typically NOT a food court fan, but this one was unique and upscale.

One evening we were all so exhausted from our day of touring that we used hotel room service for dinner. We had great pasta dinners and the prices were reasonable, considering it was room service. We had taken our own bottled waters to the hotel with us and never consider using a hotel mini-bar.

We visited the hotel indoor pool and hot tub a couple of times. It is a smallish, two or three lane pool but served our purposes well as our 9-year-old is a competitive year-round swimmer and needed to keep up with his training. We very much appreciated that the hotel had goggles for loan at the pool - a nice touch of the hotel.

We had never stayed in an InterContinental before and were overall thrilled with our choice. I am SO GLAD that we stayed here and not at one of the hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Though the Wharf area is where we spent much of our time, I found the InterContinental to be a quiet, restful place after full day of touring the city. There were very few other children in this business-oriented hotel. Because of this, we never encountered any screaming, ill-behaved children running up and down the hallways of this hotel or playing in elevators as we have in many other "family-oriented" hotels in which we've stayed. We were able to have a peaceful, enjoyable stay. I would definitely choose this hotel for a future San Francisco stay - Hotwire deal or not.

Room Tip: Ask for a high-floor with a Bay view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Mizzou93
There are newer reviews for InterContinental San Francisco

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was my second stay at the InterContinental San Francisco, and it was wonderful. We stayed in a junior suite, which is large and has floor to ceiling windows that gave us an incredible view of the city. The Club Level Lounge was fantastic, and the staff was so attentive. All of the concierges we spoke with were incredibly knowledgeable.

What I found most impressive was that, although the President of the US stayed in the hotel one night while we were there, we did not notice a decline in service to regular guests.

We will undoubtedly stay here again.

Room Tip: Highly recommend getting a Club Level room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lawg8r
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just visited San Francisco, decided by the reviews to stay at the Intercontinental downtown. This was an excellent choice! I loved the location & the staff. The restaurant was a bit pricey, but just a block away is Westfield Mall, with a great number of delicious choices to eat, not at all you typical food court.
If you like to get out and walk, all the shopping is a quick 10 mins away. Did I mention there is a Starbucks on just about every corner, and if that's not your deal, a few sweet cafe's as well.
If I have one complaint, it's that I could hear doors closing & people using the ice machines :(
My room was upgraded for free, so I had an amazing view!! And the concierge Will was awesome.

Room Tip: As soon as I checked in I got an upgraded room, without asking, but I would say, it was awesome!!! I...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Shea M
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Interncontinental SF while I was in the city for business. I stayed there for a total of 6 nights and enjoyed my stay. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable and the sound levels (my room faced Howard) weren't too bad. However, if you are a light sleeper, request a room on one of the higher floors.

The location in Yerba Buena is a 15 minute walk from Union Square and the hotel is conveniently located. A Starbucks is just around the corner. Be careful walking South-West on Howard as the area gets a bit sketchy after dark. If you stay East of 5th, you should be fine.

I used the hotel pool a couple of times and it was a bit short (maybe less than 25 yards) and the temperature was a bit warm for lap swimming. The gym looked pretty new and the spa located on the 6th floor was frequented a lot.

The fridge has a tiny spot to keep your food and all of the mini bar items, bottled water etc. are on electronic sensors so be careful unless you want a charge on your bill. If you want the fridge sensors deactivated, it will cost you around $30. Wireless is $14.95/24 hour period but the price per day is less if you purchase the 3- or 5-day package.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay and would recommend the Interncontinental if you are attending a conference at the Moscone. It's right beside Moscone West and just a small block away from Moscone South.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank trigirl2011
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Extremely pleasant personnel. Room was clean and enjoyed the gym and pool but didn't use the spa. Massage available. A little on the heavy side when it came to buying a tube of pretzels in the room. $9.00 for pretzels and $8.00 for a bottle of water. Easier to go across the street to the local deli and order a sandwich and coffee. Go to Mel's diner around the corner for breakfast. Location is near the cable car off Market Street. Tremendous restaurants in Little Italy. Avoid Chinatown as it is filthy.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo