“An "open wallet" hotel”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #36 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 March 2012

As a gold priorityclub member, one can tell I favor Holiday Inn brands. I can't, however, figure out why "high end" hotels need to nickel and dime (or dollar) you at every turn. After all, I stayed for a "special" conference fare of $259, much reduced from the more typical $300+. Much less expensive places (but still nicely appointed in good locations) have free wireless, at least for priorityclub members, give you a bottle water or two when you check in, upgrade your room when they have availability, and have a decent business center where you can access the internet and do some limited printing. Don't look for any of this at the InterContinental SF. In your room, a bottle of Fiji water will cost you $6; I don't even want to think what they might charge for an ounce of gin from the mini-bar. Wireless in your room is $15/day, business center is standing only with substantial charges just to log on and print a few pages. (At least you can print a boarding pass for free). Parking is insane -- $59/day once you add in the tax. I was briefly afraid they would charge me for the little plastic bags that they gave out for umbrellas when you came in out of the rain.

The lobby and bar area is small and very noisy ... and you can't avoid it since it's right in front of the elevators. The breakfast buffet at Luce is excellent, lots of fresh fruit, traditional breakfast fare (I liked the genuine maple syrup), etc. Just like everywhere else, have an open wallet attitude. The buffer will set you back like a typical dinner entree -- $28.

The plus side is easy access to the Mosconi center. My trip was for a conference there. Also, the staff at the hotel is extraordinary. Friendly, helpful, always smiling, ever attentive -- they embody what one would hope all hotel staff would strive for. I expect you will be treated right if you choose this hotel.

Overall, the hotel is not a bad choice, particularly for business trips that involve the Mosconi center. Just be prepared to open your wallet early and often.

1  Thank 773jamesl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear James L,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. I am thankful for your comments about our staffs attentiveness. It is always nice to hear a kind word. I am sorry you were unhappy with our rates. We find our rates and parking fees are quite comparable to other hotels of same standards in this area. I sincerely hope we have the pleasure of hosting you again for a future stay.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (3,077)

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Too expensive for that kind of hotel. It was crowded in lobby all the time in the evenings, people was too loud.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed here recently for a business convention at the Moscone Center. The hotel is conveniently located near shopping and many restaurants, and is a quick walk to Chinatown and even to Fisherman's Wharf. However, for the price, I expected nicer rooms. The bed was pretty hard and the armchair in the room was very worn. Some days my coffee cups were not replaced. The internet is $15 a night, which I find ridiculous. The bar was nice, but tended to get loud at night and the drinks were very expensive ($12-15/cocktail). The staff was very helpful and there were umbrellas you could borrow when it rained.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

aggiedoone,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This hotel is exactly what it seems like, a premium-priced, high-quality service hotel in San Francisco. It's south of Market and everything you want in the city is ultimately a pretty easy walk from here.

It's especially convenient to Moscone Center, and I think it makes a better base than the W (full of Wouchebags) or the St Regis, which has no easily accessible ground floor cafe for casual meetings or coffee. I also like it more than the Marriott, but that's just my personal tastes. (It's newer and a little more minimalist in style, and there are fewer street people right out front -- just a nicer block).

It is pricey, and paying $16/day for wifi makes me want to scream, but that's what you get with expense account hotels. Rooms are clean and well appointed, good TV, good Internet access (I think wired or wireless -- I just used wifi), and very attentive helpful staff (the amount of stuff I've had delivered here or made them store is, well, a lot.) The cafe is very good, and they don't mind if you just get coffee, which is good, because most of my convention experience is just that. I've held a couple of small events here and found the price pretty reasonable for SF, and the catering staff, etc. was excellent.

Protip: If you don't want to drop $28 on the hotel breakfast, the little deli across the street is quite good -- better than it looks -- if you just want a breakfast sandwich or bagel.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed here for six nights. Hotel is close to the Convention Center and a short walk from the Market Square, shopping etc. Everything was supurb and better than expected. Staff is wonderful, polite, helpful, not noisy. Room was spacious, spotless, Wi-Fi worked flawlessly. A/C worked quietly, did not bother at all. The whole establishment is better than the Marriot Hotel across the street I used to stay at. The restaurant is overpriced though in my opinion. Entrees look great but that is it. I did not find them particularly tasty. Appertizers were good though.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business