“Convienent location”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #36 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed here recently for a business convention at the Moscone Center. The hotel is conveniently located near shopping and many restaurants, and is a quick walk to Chinatown and even to Fisherman's Wharf. However, for the price, I expected nicer rooms. The bed was pretty hard and the armchair in the room was very worn. Some days my coffee cups were not replaced. The internet is $15 a night, which I find ridiculous. The bar was nice, but tended to get loud at night and the drinks were very expensive ($12-15/cocktail). The staff was very helpful and there were umbrellas you could borrow when it rained.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

aggiedoone,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

There are newer reviews for InterContinental San Francisco

Reviewed 18 March 2012

This hotel is exactly what it seems like, a premium-priced, high-quality service hotel in San Francisco. It's south of Market and everything you want in the city is ultimately a pretty easy walk from here.

It's especially convenient to Moscone Center, and I think it makes a better base than the W (full of Wouchebags) or the St Regis, which has no easily accessible ground floor cafe for casual meetings or coffee. I also like it more than the Marriott, but that's just my personal tastes. (It's newer and a little more minimalist in style, and there are fewer street people right out front -- just a nicer block).

It is pricey, and paying $16/day for wifi makes me want to scream, but that's what you get with expense account hotels. Rooms are clean and well appointed, good TV, good Internet access (I think wired or wireless -- I just used wifi), and very attentive helpful staff (the amount of stuff I've had delivered here or made them store is, well, a lot.) The cafe is very good, and they don't mind if you just get coffee, which is good, because most of my convention experience is just that. I've held a couple of small events here and found the price pretty reasonable for SF, and the catering staff, etc. was excellent.

Protip: If you don't want to drop $28 on the hotel breakfast, the little deli across the street is quite good -- better than it looks -- if you just want a breakfast sandwich or bagel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed here for six nights. Hotel is close to the Convention Center and a short walk from the Market Square, shopping etc. Everything was supurb and better than expected. Staff is wonderful, polite, helpful, not noisy. Room was spacious, spotless, Wi-Fi worked flawlessly. A/C worked quietly, did not bother at all. The whole establishment is better than the Marriot Hotel across the street I used to stay at. The restaurant is overpriced though in my opinion. Entrees look great but that is it. I did not find them particularly tasty. Appertizers were good though.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We have been staying at the Mark Hopkins for many years and are Ambassador members, but decided to try this hotel for one night before returning from Wine Country to the airport the next day. We both have conflicted thoughts about a return visit. As other reviewers stated, the location would be OK for convention business, but not so great for anything else in the area; including the fact that it is an isolated peninsula in the Tenderloin District. We absolutely did not venture out at night. Touting LEED and "green" is cliched and pushing the limits at times. The towels were wrinkled, thin and did not look clean. I cut three fingers on the sliding glass bathroom door (glass is not a good idea for a bathroom, as is the lack of a fan for privacy). There were no functioning windows and we kept joking that a fire truck was going to pull up outside our window all night, even though we were on the 23rd floor--needs some noise control. We had a lovely room service dinner, but when we finished up our water, I noticed that the drinking glasses were filthy. Other pet peeves; no urn of coffee in the lobby to grab and go early the next morning, no free Internet, lack of room outlets, no mirror in the room for grooming, telephones that require a PhD to utilize; not to mention the annoying advertisements flashing on a 6"x4" telephone screen and no Sunday newspaper. This hotel is good for young hipsters or nouveau riche who are not yet educated in customer service, although the staff was professional and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear LUXChicago,

Thank you for your review. I deeply apologize that you were unsatisfied with
our hotel. I am concerned particularly about the comments you made about your fingers
and would like to discuss that further with you.We have sent you a private message with more information. I look forwarding to hearing back from you.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Even for an Intercontinental Hotel the service was better than expected. Concierge, front desk, doormen and others were always looking to help, but not in a disturbing way. Terrific staff. We were upgraded to a corner room on a high floor, the views were great and the room size very large. The room was made up early in the morning (before 11 am) every day which was helpful for us as we came back a couple of times during the day to rest from all the walking. The location was perfect, we could walk to almost anywhere downtown and it was only a couple of blocks from the cable car.

Room Tip: Corner rooms (03) have large windows and views in two directions.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple