“One of the worst motels we have EVER stayed in - OMG!!!”
Review of Beach Motel

Beach Motel
Ranked #212 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne, Australia
“One of the worst motels we have EVER stayed in - OMG!!!”
Reviewed 31 December 2010

We arrived in San Francisco and wanted a cheap motel close to the Golden Gate Bridge to visit the next morning. It was about 10mins drive away.

It was run by an Indian gentleman who was friendly, but the motel was really a dump. We paid $103USD for it too. We had to cart the luggage up this high external staircase to our room. Even the room looked like a weird apartment rather than a motel room. It so old and dirty and was configured strangely with a long passageway from the front door.

The AC was very noisy and the beds were not comfortable at all. There was light from the street coming in and the carpet, walls etc were all quite old and dirty.

Its amazing there is no government regulatory body over these businesses that allow them to operate at such low standards.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 31 October 2009

My boyfriend and I attended Woodstock West Fest on October 25th and stayed at the Beach Motel on Judah in San Francisco. It would never have been my choice to stay, even if I had to drive 25 miles to a better facility, but our associate had taken it upon himself to make a reservation for us and we were kind of stuck. I had a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express in Belmont for only $75 per night (weekend rate), and when I tried to explain to the hotel clerk that there was miscommunication between our associate and us, and that we already had a reservation elsewhere, and he rudely and adamantly refused to cancel our reservation without penalizing our associate for the full rate of $95/night. So we made due and stayed there, and the room was terrible. We could clearly hear our neighbors chatting in the room next door, could smell their smoke as if they were having a cigarette right in our room, there was no vanity in the bathroom (only a freestanding sink, toilet and shower/tub), there was no internet access, the decor was depressing, and the street car ran all night long and was extremely loud, as it was right outside our window. At check-out time, the hotel clerk came around like a drill sergeant evicting everyone and opening all the doors to every room after a guest left so he could keep track of who had vacated. The premises was run by a man of East Indian descent who had no clue how to treat guests like valued customers. It's not wonder the place was half vacant even though the Woodstock event was that day. I think I'd rather sleep in my car than ever patronize that horrible motel ever again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Sussex, England
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We booked the Beach Motel for no reason other than its price. We did minimum research and made the reservation before we read the reviews here. Saw all the negative reviews the day before we travelled and were horrified and thought of just going somewhere else but decided to go with it for one night as they already had our credit card details etc.

Actually we were really pleasantly surprised. Yes, the motel is old and could do with refurbishment BUT the room was perfectly clean. The management were lovely to us and treated us with nothing but courtesy. We loved the location: really close to the beach, right on the tram line into the centre of the city, near Golden Gate Park which we loved and right beside the Java Bean Cafe which we quickly fell in love with (try their granola bowl).

If you're looking for 5 star go elsewhere but if you're happy with decent clean rooms in a good area of town then look no further. We stayed for two nights at the start of our stay and booked ourselves back in for the final two nights of our trip to California.

Yes we could hear the trams but it wasnt a big problem. Neither saw nor heard any evidence of the loud bar mentioned by others - have no idea what this referred to. We used it as a base and somewhere to sleep - not a destination in its own right and it served us well.

Would willingly return. Enjoyed our days here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Janey419
Central, CA
Reviewed 10 August 2008

We "accidentally" booked this hotel thinking it was another one we had stayed at and BOY, was that a HUGE mistake. I can honestly say that this is the absolute worst hotel I've ever stayed at in my life. It makes Motel 6 look like The Hilton.

First of all, it states that it's 1 mile from the Zoo and UCSF (we were going to both), it's actually more like 4 miles. Secondly, parking is very scarce. Third, we walked in the room and it reaked of urine, there was hair all over the blanket, urine on the comforter and mattress. It was filthy. My 2 daughters, ages 4 and 7 were crying and begging us not to stay there. My 7 year old actually wanted to go sleep in the car. If it hadn't been so late when we arrived (11:30 PM), we would have left and found another hotel.

We decided to just stay the night and felt and heard the Muni train all night. It felt like an earthquake. Not to mention people yelling and screaming across the street the whole night. We also kept hearing loud bangs. I don't know how many times I jumped that night and needless to say, didn't get any sleep.

I felt like I was getting bit by fleas the whole night as well. This was honesly the worst hotel ever. We chose it because it was close to the Zoo and the hospital, and we thought it was one we had stayed at another time, but I would have gladly stayed somewhere much further and paid much more. The price was outrageous ase well. $108/night. You couldn't pay me to stay there another night.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank RobtNAnna
Stanford
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Absolutely HORRIBLE place. Quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stepped foot in. First as I parked I noticed there was only one available spot in the lot so not enough room for me and my friend to park our cars. I walk into the lobby and it smells old and dingy. Their website is also broken. I made a reservation for two people and two beds and it made it for one person and one bed. I walk into the lobby with 3 friends and the first thing the clerk says is he doesn't want that many people in the room. I explain to him that only two are spending the night. He finally agrees and checks me in. I get up to the room and then notice there is only 1 bed. It is also old, smelly, and dirty and the lights by the bed do not turn on. I call downstairs to say how I reserved a room with two beds and the first thing the guy says is he doesn't want that many people and he wants me to leave. I say fine because I've had enough of the dirty, smelly, and broken place. My friends and I spend a few minutes collecting our stuff and before we exit the room he calls to make sure I'm on my way downstairs. I go return they key and say I want a refund and he refuses to give one and yells about a no cancellation policy. I'm disputing the charge with my credit company. I instead went to the Hilton and had a great time for only ~$50 more - money well spent. Never ever stay at this place. With service like the above hopefully they go out of business soon.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Francisco
El Camino Inn
#4 of 6 in Daly City
Alpine Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Daly City
Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francis...
#159 of 228 in San Francisco

Been to Beach Motel? Share your experiences!