“Greasy, Filling Diner Food”
Review of Smile BBQ

Ranked #3,999 of 5,773 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Reviewed 23 October 2016

I was looking for a cheap filling breakfast in the Mission. My friend recommended this place. I don't know if they actually serve barbecue, as I was only there for breakfast and only looked at the breakfast menu.

The diner is long and narrow. Most of the seating is at the counter, although there are a couple of tables at the very back of the dining room. It is definitely a hole-in-the-wall kind of place, not dirty, but somewhat dark and not really inviting.

I had a vegetable omelet. It cost a little under $7 and was made with two eggs. It came with a generous portion of hash browns and two slices of toast. The toast was barely toasted and barely buttered. No extra butter or jam or jelly were offered. I didn't ask for anything extra, so I don't know what would have happened if I had.

The omelet was fine. The vegetables were a little under cooked. Now that I try to remember what vegetables were on it, all I can come up with is green bell peppers. Oh, and mushrooms. I'm pretty sure there were mushrooms on it too. Maybe tomatoes? Onions? You can tell the vegetables weren't all that impressive.

The hashbrowns were good, although not terribly brown. I had to add salt, which was fine. I understand it's easier for me to add salt instead of the cook making a dish that might be too salty for someone else. The hashbrowns were quite greasy, but as I think this place is the epitome of greasy spoons, that is entirely appropriate.

Then I ordered a cup of coffee, which I usually wouldn't do, but I needed to get a bunch of work done, so I did it. It was a small cup (6 oz, I would guess), so I got two refills. It must not have been too strong, because while I feel it, I'm not totally jacked up.

By the time I had my breakfast and coffee and left the waitress (who was friendly and offered me coffee refills, if not water refills) a couple of bucks, I ended up spending $10.50. How'd that happen? I probably should have gone to Taco Bell. Shrug.

This place was fine, but I wouldn't go back. Yes, next time, definitely Taco Bell.