“Small But Very Family Friendly”
Review of Buena Vista Cafe

Buena Vista Cafe
Ranked #84 of 5,975 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Deli, Seafood, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We arrived about 7PM and for a group of seven were very forttunate and were seated within five minutes. Our waitress was Nita, and she was right at our table immediately. She immediately took our drink order and the sourdough bread and butter were on the table. Our food was served very promptly and it was delicious. Nita was very attentive especially with our group of four adults and three children. We topped it off with their excellent Irish coffee and would recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting quality service and good food. Nita made it a very fun experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,156)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Any trip I make to San Francisco must include a stop at the Buena Vista Café. It's the unofficial birthplace of Irish Coffee in the U.S. Watching the skilled baristas perform a show while preparing several glasses of coffee at once, is only surpassed by the actual coffee itself. The setting is beautiful and historic. Set at the bottom of Hyde St, (where the cable cars turn around), and overlooking the San Francisco Bay and Alcatraz Island.

2  Thank ElToroSuave
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We had heard about the Buena Vista for years and finally got the chance to stop in for a famous Irish coffee. We sat at the bar were lucky to have Larry serve us our drinks while performing card tricks during our visit. The coffees were very good and the service even better. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We ate lunch here on our first day in San Francisco, and it was bustling and popular. Excellent Guinness and beer and my mushroom risotto was plentiful and delicious. One of the things it is renowned for, that we didn't dare try as we wanted to be able to still walk afterwards, was their Irish Coffees. Most entertaining to watch the old school barista line up hot, steaming clean glasses in a row on the counter and slosh in all the ingredients with a practised air - slug! in went the coffee and sugar - whoosh a wallop of cream - and BIG slosh in went the whiskey from a juggy poury bottle pitcher thing. Now don't judge me - I may have got the order and ingredients wrong and my terms aren't technical but I was impressed by the quantity and energy with which these things were made. They were also clearly appreciated by the clientele. A man and a woman were sitting chatting at the bar. After one of these he told her he could sing. After two he was showing her. After several I think we had heard most of Oklahoma. Now, I am not entirely sure he could sing but most people seemed happy. So - to finish. I can't promise you music but the rest of it was great and if you try an Irish Coffee I hope it is everything you wish for.

1  Thank Alison J
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Went there for breakfast. It was busy, but we got a table quickly. The tables are shared tables and you seat yourself, so you might end up eating with people you don’t know which can be fun at times. We actually had the table to ourselves this visit. There seemed to be a lot of generally happy people there of all ages - kids to seniors. Service was fast and the food was delicious. Great menu choices. Casual dining. Great atmosphere.

1  Thank stzv2579