“Great Thai food”

Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We love their food and usually do take-out because the decor and seating is not the most comfortable. The parking is street parking, which in this area is pretty difficult. We really love their soups and their vegetarian menu especially. The prices are a little steeper that we would like, but that's the restaurant world in SF...

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Patpong Thai Restaurant...What can I say? You clearly haven't grasped the concept of delivery and it shows. Last year, my office ordered Patpong for our holiday party. Patpong is conveniently located new our office in the outer Richmond, so we thought it was the perfect fit. Placing the order with the restaurant was quite simple, but actually getting our food was another story. We ordered about $300 worth of food for a party of 20 to be delivered at noon. Not a huge order, but substantial enough that I thought it would be given proper attention. I called in the morning to verify the order and the noon delivery time and was told everything would be delivered on time. Noon rolls by and no food. I wait another 15 minutes and no food, so I decide to call. The owner tells me that driver is out for delivery and should arrive any second and sorry for the delay. So we wait.....party begins at 12:30pm, but still no food. So I call the owner again, he explains the driver can't find the building....my response was, "Really? The driver can't find the main entrance to the VA hospital?" In response, I got a bunch of excuses. So I hang up and wait. Another 15 minutes rolls by and still no food. I call the owner again and ask him to call his driver. (At this time, I am beginning to become agitated). He says, “Oh I tried, but the driver dropped his phone in his car and can't find it.” I respond that how could he possibly know this if he hasn't been able to reach him. Silence on the other end. I get a bunch more excuses and finally I say to him, "I am not hanging up until the food arrives." So we sit on the phone for 10 minutes in silence. Finally, I see the driver's car and have a fellow colleague run out and grab him. To my shock the driver steps out of the car in his pajamas with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and a half-dressed girl in the front seat. The driver doesn't even offer to help bring the food into the building and just sets it on the trunk of his car and waits until we make multiple trips to bring it in. Sadly, he also delivered our curry in the pot it was cooked in, no plastic serving bowl that we were promised and paid for.

I must say, Patpong is the worst delivery in San Francisco. Their blatant disregard for customers and ability to lie is deplorable. I will never order from Patpong again, nor would I recommend it to anyone who wants their food actually delivered. The food is average anyway, so you aren't really missing anything. Try Another Monkey in the Mission, if you want good quality Thai in San Francisco.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Carmichael, California
Reviewed 29 February 2008

My favorite Thai place! Get the thai toast, chicken satay, and pad see yew, its my favorite meal.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 19 March 2006

Went on a recommendation from a fellow traveler at my convention, and I was thrilled with it. It is a little funky on the design, pretty mod and a bit dark. I love that, but it's not for everyone. They were able to place me somewhere in the dining room with enough light for reading.

Was disappointed they were "out" of the Deviled Egg-cavier appetizer, it sounded yummy. Opted instead for a half-dozen mixed oysters. WOW! So fresh, with just the hint of brine. There were three types and each was excellent. I tend to favor smaller oysters, but even the large ones here were tender and fresh. No Saltine crackers (sorry, I'm a Midwestener), though.

Second appetizer was the tuna tartar. The tuna was outstanding. The crisp served with it was a little too thick for a delicate appetizer, but in this case the tuna was great by itself in a japanese-style marinade.

Finished with a third appetizer, a Dungeness crab cake, which was awesome. So creamy with a good spicy kick to it. Aoili lightly decorated the plate. With a glass of Pinot Grigio it was just excellent.

With all of that, a couple glasses of wine, with tip $50. Excellent experience.

Reviewed 27 April 2005

We weren't even looking for this gem. Four broads driving around and can't decide where to eat. Took a side street off of Geary and blind-pigged into this surprise. Parking was there so we plugged the meter and hoofed it around the corner to Patpong.

A nice open space very clean and the young woman was wonderful as our waitress. The lunch selection was just what we needed, seafood, tofu and chicken and excellent iced coffee. Pad thai tangy and fresh. Thai-Style Fried Rice with Combination seafood can't miss. The Green Curry with combination seafood satisfied my indecisive sister. My vegetarian niece ordered the Spicy Basil Tofu she thought it was a bit hot for her taste buds. Generous portions, the pad thai and veggie dish could be split between 2 people easily.

ps. If you are traveling and need to do laundry pop the duds into the machines and take care of two things at once.