“Looking for the best BBQ in town”

Southpaw BBQ & Southern Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
Southpaw BBQ & Southern Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,138 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Cross street: 18th St
Transit: Mission & 18th: Bus Lines 33,49 Mission & 16th: Bus Lines (14,22,49), MUNI, BART
Reviewed 6 December 2016

Family visit looking for the best BBQ place in town. Enthusiastic local recommendations led us here. Great service, brilliant ribs, wings, pulled pork and corn and a truly superb set of cocktails.
All southern style, dripping with taste (and not a small amount of spice either).
I wish this place was on my backdoor.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

Really nice relaxed venue with some awesome dishes like ribs, salmon and chicken salads. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 21 October 2016

My friend took me here for dinner, since we are both from the South, and he figured I hadn't had Southern food for a while.

The food was good, although out of my normal price range, so it was nice that my friend was treating.

We started with an appetizer of shrimp grits. I'm not usually a big fan of grits, but these were AWESOME. They had a lot of flavor. There were a few fat shrimp floating around in the grits.

For my dinner, I had the four appetizers for $19 deal. (Side orders are normally $6 each). I choose fried dill pickles, garlic broccoli and cauliflower, coleslaw, and sweet potato tots. Everything was good. The serving of dill pickles was very large and I was able to share them around the table. The pickles are breaded and fried nicely crispy. The sweet potato tater tots were also nice and crispy, not greasy at all. The coleslaw wan unlike traditional coleslaw, as the sauce did not seem to be mayo based. It seemed very fresh and healthy. The garlic broccoli and cauliflower was also fresh and healthy. The vegetables were steamed, I think, and the sauce was buttery and garlicy, but not heavy at all. The four sides came with a small square of cornbread, which was good, but a little sweeter than I like my cornbread.

Jackfruit seems to be the other vegetarian option on the menu. I considered the jackfruit option, but didn't know if I would like it and didn't want to waste this dining out treat.

The servers were very attentive.

The dining room is quite dark and sort of fancy.

Overall, this was a nice treat. Thanks, friend.

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Epic Bbq. All dishes amazing. Definently recommend this place. Great food and they even brew their own beer!

Reviewed 20 July 2016

We are enjoying a large, family, get together in San Francisco, but often find it difficult to choose a restaurant that we all like and can cater for a group of 10.
Southpaw BBQ and Southern Cooking met all criteria.
If you like BBQ, especially Southern BBQ, this is the place. The food is delicious. The pulled pork was especially good, but so was everything else.
We had a big long bench to sit at and were able to share food around. Excellent service. Our waitress gave us tips on how much to order, and she was spot on.
Very casual, fun place to eat.