“Solid German Fare”

Cuisines: German, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hayes Valley
Reviewed 17 November 2016

We were a foursome and tried unsuccessfully to get in on a Saturday (hint: either arrive early on Friday/Saturday or be prepared to wait 30-45 minutes). Instead, we returned at the same time the following night and were immediately shown to a communal table in a still busy restaurant. The draught German/Austrian/Belgian beer selection was excellent, as were the quantities available - 200ml, 300ml, 400ml, 500ml, 1litre, 2 litre and 5(!!) litre. The menu is a fairly comprehensive offering of German specialties, but the Wiener Schnitzel looked excellent, so we split three orders between the four of us. We found it to be not only delicious, but a perfect quantity, especially when one considers each order comes with a simple, but tasty, green salad. The one dessert available - cheesecake - was equally good. Finally, service was attentive and friendly. If you are looking for a busy, fun place with a good, solid food, Suppenküche is for you.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

My husband and I love Suppenkuche. Whenever with visit San Francisco we have to have great German food. It is communal dining and is a bit noisy but we love it. Every dish we have had was delicious. The sausages, the pork dishes and the potatoe pancakes were wonderful. Portion sizes are good the also have a good selection of beers.

Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

Nice place, very active local crowd, mostly younger. But loud! Don't go if you want to talk quietly.

Reviewed 10 September 2016

My friend and I went here on a recommendation from her parents. Boy were we glad we did! The food and atmosphere were amazing! I don't even like beer, but being there kind of gets you in the spirit (we had a little bit of a wait to be seated so what else did I have to do?!). The communal seating was beneficial to us because it gave us a chance to sit with locals and get some hints on where to head out for the night (thanks for the hand-drawn, rough map of San Fran!). I had the sausage with potatoes and kraut. Amazing food. It's definitely not for those pinching pennies, but not high class dining either. A definite must if you're in the area!

Reviewed 12 August 2016

Our son shared Suppenkuche with us. It isn't very large with communal seating. The food was delicious. My son had the boar sausage special, my husband had the Sauerbraten mit Preiselbeerkonfitüre, and I had the Käsespätzle mit Zwiebel-Buttersoße und gemischtem Sala. All our food was delicious. It was very crowded while we were there so quite noisy but great fun.