“Great find! Delicious food.”
Review of Hops and Hominy

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Cross street: Grant & Sutter
Transit: Bart: Montgomery Station; Powell Station Muni: Montgomery Station; Powell Station Bus Lines: Montgomery; Powell; Bush; Sutter; Post; Market stops
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Found this restaurant on Yelp after searching for restaurants near Union Square. Got a booking on Friday night - and luckily we booked! Long queue on arrival but we were seated straight away due to our booking. Definitely recommend booking in advance to ensure a table.

Service was friendly and efficient. Ordered drinks and was surprised by complimentary Corn Bread to the table - delicious!! Ordered the Fried Chicken and Beef Ribs with side of French fries - all fantastic with lots of flavour but be warned - BIG portions!! Couldn't finish!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

We had a great food and drink with perfect service. We started with black-eye-pea fritters and mac & cheese. Both were outstanding starters. Two of us had catfish po boys. The fish was tender and really melted in your mouth. One person at our table ordered a pork chop. It was one of the biggest pieces of meat I have ever seen served in a restaurant. Another person at our table had the fried chicken which he also recommends. The restaurant was a little loud for conversation, but the location and food made it all worthwhile.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Superb craft-cocktails bar! Southern food with style and a twist! Everything we ordered was excellent. The homemade cornbread was complimentary for the first serving but we opted for a second as it was just that good! Make sure you get it served while warm our first one wasn't! Staff was super friendly. Would recommend for sure!

1  Thank Hollexist5
Reviewed 13 March 2018

I have been here before so was keen to return. I travel to the US frequently so am used to professional bartenders. I waited for a seat at the bar because I was on my own but wanted to eat and enjoy some craft beer. But I sat down and somehow put on my cloak of invisibility. The two hipsters working the bar ignored me for more than 15 minutes as I tried to order a drink while reading the food menu - they both had much better things to do elsewhere in the restaurant or polishing clean glasses or supervising the efforts of the guy putting the glassware away. I gestured several times to get their attention - they had to actively ignore me. I was not the only person to leave without service. These posers behind the bar are a disgrace to bartenders everywhere. I won't be back - but I expect they could not give a toss anyway....

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Lucky enough to stumble across this hidden gem while looking at the long list of eateries around Union Square and we were not disappointed! It was very busy, but we were glad we stayed to eat at the bar, as there were no tables available.

The hustle and bustle of the busy bar only added to the overall ambience and it was actually great to sit at the bar and watch the skilled bartenders mix some cocktails. We ordered a mix of items off the menu to create our own tapas style meal (also because we wanted to try everything!) Would recommend this restaurant as it offered a smaller selection of high quality food cooked to perfection. The Mac and cheese defeated us even sharing it, and the ribs were delicious and fell off the bone. Hops and Hominy is well worth seeking out if you’re in San Francisco!

Date of visit: November 2017