See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 June 2016

I've tried to get into the Carl Hotel several times, but they were always booked. I think I've learned a "secret" -- that they make rooms available during the summer months for tourists; however, for the rest of the year they are primarily booked by people connected with the nearby hospital. (I believe this is correct). So we booked #327, a "large" double room, on the third floor for 6 days in May.

Firstly, the staff are SO helpful and genuine, it seemed we almost knew them. The "N" Muni tram goes right past the door which is a blessing for access to downtown, but it can be noisy, especially on first floor rooms. I am happy to announce that we almost stopped hearing it at all after a day or so. Two flights of stairs to go up, but a bit further away from the "N" Muni line tram at street level worked well for us.

The rooms are not large, but we rearranged things a bit and fit in very well and were very comfortable in our stay. There was a bathroom with a wonderful shower, a good place for hanging clothes, comfy bed, fridge, microwave (and they let me borrow an electric kettle). So we were off for making our own breakfast, coffee/tea, etc.

Location is super with living amenities, grocery, liquor store, breakfast and coffee place, killer ice cream shop, and anything else you want. Transport into the city is right on the "N".

Now we go to SF often to visit family who have a small apartment, and we often face prices of $170-$200+ per night which is a strain. We paid around $115/night at Carl. What a relief. I would gladly go there again! I may time the trips to see family just so we can get in.

Thanks to Carl Hotel for remaining real in a world of pretence and expense!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Groovy_Duvy
Reviewed 18 December 2015

I had to stay a while at UCSF so I had occasion to stay two nights here.As far as I could find, it was the closest hotel in the price range to UCSF. Clearly not high-end but the rooms were clean and tidy. It's far from fancy but the price is also far from fancy so that's no surprise. It's a bit of a walk to stores and restaurants but not too far and not too bad given the location. The staff is helpful and considerate and will help you with your bags if you need it.

(BTW, the professional photo with the red car in the driveway as shown above is not of the Carl hotel.)

Room Tip: Disabled? ask for a first-floor room.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank jd e
Reviewed 16 December 2015

The Carl Hotel, though outdated, was clean and inexpensive by all standards in SF. Great place to stay if you are dealing with UCSF Medical Center, and you just need a place to sleep. Our son had surgery that was pushed back 24 hours, and they allowed us to move our arrival date back day..on the same day we were to check in! I mean, what hotel does that without a fee, or charge for the room irregardless. At the last moment we had to change our reservation from 1 bed to 2, again with no problem. Since we weren't sure when our son would be released, they let us pay when we checked out, not upfront. Again..what hotel does that?? Finally our son was released a day earlier than expected and again they let us out without any kind of additional fee. Only a 10 minute walk to the hospital, which is great since street parking is very difficult to find. Very friendly staff!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Dennis C
Reviewed 28 November 2015

Carl hotel provides a great proximity to UCSF. It was a decent stay, not at all fancy. Only plus point which i felt was that it was cheap atleast as compared to its neighborhood. So overall I can say that it was below average experience when compared with comfort of stay and decent when compared with price.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank CHAHAT_CHOUDHARY
Reviewed 12 September 2015

My husband had surgery at UCSF. He had some complications and had to stay longer than expected. My liaison at UCSF booked me a room here. The hotel I was originally staying at had no vacancy. I thank the good Lord that my sister in law was with me. The room was dirty and run down. The noise from the muni was very loud. There were only two outlets in the room. No outlet covers. The lamp was plugged in with an extension cord across the room. When we were looking for an outlet we moved the bed and the head board fell off. I was supposed to stay one more night. There was no way! I would rather stay in my car or in the hospital room with my husband. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo