“Noisy, and poor service, but good location”
Review of Van Ness Inn Hotel

Van Ness Inn Hotel
Ranked #188 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 8 December 2016

Rooms are clean and comfortable, but noisy(could hear outside and the heater that would make a lot of noise as well). Service was poor. Took a while before I could check in, the front desk agent couldn't find my reservation online. I asked direction to the pier 33 for the Alcatraz ferry (which is about 25 min walk), he pretty much circled everything on the map. Breakfast are based of croissants and mini muffins, coffee and tea. Free parking, free wifi, free breakfast. The hotel is near fisherman wharf, fort molson, the pier. Overall, I believe the price is a bit high for the quality and service this hotel offers.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the highest level to avoid noise from the street.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Inexpensive, but great value. Room was clean and efficient. Not fancy, but quite acceptable with a friendly staff. Free parking a big plus in a city with deficient and expensive parking. Good location within walking distance to many attractions in the center if town, including fisherman's wharf.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Evelyn B
Reviewed 17 November 2016

We wanted to spend less on accommodations and more on eating and sightseeing. I looked at a lot of places in this area but chose this one due to a picture I saw of the bedspread believe it or not and when I read it had free parking that was the icing on the cake. Check in was easy and the room was on the top floor (221). Keep in mind that this is "Big City budget" and you can get some scary stuff for these rates. However our room was nice based on my standards (I travel all of the time for business and stay in hotels 3 to 10 nights a month). The room was dark with one rectangular window that had shutters on them. The window did actually open compared to other places I have stayed. The cat walk around the top floor was in front of that window so if you are wearing stuff you don't want others to see close the blinds. To be honest there were some minor stains of linens but you should expect that. All of the sheets, towels and carpet were cleaned.

I always check the bathroom floor for stuff and this one was very clean. I liked the large stand up shower in the room. Bring your own soap and shampoo as theirs is less than desirable.

Parking is kind of fun... all of the spaces are double park so if you are the first one in someone will park behind you. This was not an issue for us as we didn't drive until the day we left. The front desk requires the car who parks in back to leave their keys so that they can move it just like happened for us. I can only imagine if someone didn't leave the key so that might be a nightmare.

We always walk everywhere we go hence the reason we stay at budget places in the center of it all. The walk to the Wharf is super easy as is the walk to Ghirardelli Square. There are wonderful places to eat that are a short walk away and public transportation is super easy to use and close as well.

Room Tip: The street is noisy and you will hear the buses, emergency vehicles, people and if that bothers you...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HungryTraveler13
Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

The rooms are small, but I was comfortable and the location is great. Large shower in bathroom and room had small fridge and microwave. Parking is free, that in itself is a rare commodity these days in SF. Area has loud traffic noise and the walls are thin, I definitely could hear my neighbors laughing through the walls. I had to keep the AC on all night no drown out the noise. Not bad for a short stay, I wouldnt stay for over a day though, based on how noisey the place can get. I was not able to get wi-fi at all during my stay as well. So if that's something that is important to you, maybe try somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

The Van Ness Inn isn't the best hotel in San Francisco. The rooms are quite small and the building generally isn't too new.
However, it's got a great location that's around a 5-10 minute walk to Lombard Street and a 10-20 minute walk to the Fisherman's Wharf. It also isn't very expensive.
The location offers free parking: something not all hotels nearby offer. As well, there is a free breakfast (not too much variety during breakfast though)
The staff are helpful and relatively friendly. The rooms are clean.
If you're looking for a budget hotel for a short stay near the attractions, consider the Van Ness Inn.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family