“Best value in the city”
Review of Casa Loma Hotel

Casa Loma Hotel
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My partner and I travel to SF at least once a year, so we have a good idea of the hotel market in the city. Without hesitation I can say that this is the best hotel value (by far) we have encountered.

The hotel is in a great location-- near several bus lines but also in its own unique neighborhood. There are couple of nice restaurants with a few minutes walk.

The hotel is very clean, especially the shared bathrooms. We never waited to use the toilets nor the showers.

Mike, the manager, is helpful and friendly. As was the rest of the staff.

This will be our first choice on our future trips to the city.

My only complaint was the noise from the hallways. The doors are thin and sound in the hallway travel right through them. We bought a cheap fan to run during the night to drowned out the noise. That worked for the most part.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed five nights and the hotel was a great value. Double rooms for $45, service was responsive and shared bathrooms were always accessible. Location in ok distance to town, you'll have to walk some time but that's a good way to see the city. Only minor point is kitchen, which is just a lonely microwave. Extended stay by one day and while the over the internet the hotel was booked out for that date, the manager offered us to stay the night.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The good:
price is very reasonable for the City;
bed and pillow comfortable,
easy access to busses,
walking distance to neighborhood restaurants, shopping and concerts and Japantown, clean and no funky smells;
plenty of hot water and shower stalls/toilets shared but clean.
The bad:
my biggest complaint is service. I have never stayed at a "hotel" where my room is NEVER checked during the stay. Over a 10 day stay no vacuuming and I had to take out my own garbage. I've stayed in hotels in several countries in Europe and Asia and this is a first for me.
Some of the staff were polite but not really friendly. I found myself avoiding the desk staff which is not my usual behavior. I think the moniker "hotel" is a bit of a misnomer, reminded me more of hostels I have frequented.
Walls are thin, someone talking in next room can be heard clearly.
If you rent a car plan on doing the street cleaning dance and shopping for parking on a regular basis. I highly recommend using the bus to get around.
WiFi is extra but there are several coffee houses/cafes with free wifi down the street

Room Tip: Rooms are similar, some have fridge. Best views on NE side of bldg.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I was very happy with my stay. While I was booking, I was very put off by the shared bathrooms (especially for a 5 night stay). We showed up and the manager/owner was at the desk and helped us out. He was really nice and helpful. He showed us around our room and then the bathrooms.

The room was pretty cool. Just like the pictures if I remember correctly. And the bathrooms were actually great. Updated showers and toilets, very clean and just nice all around. That was just very relieving. Throughout the stay, I never had to wait for a shower or bathroom, and they were consistently clean.

The room was pretty good. Nothing very much to say about it. It had decent views up and down Fillmore Street. The noise did get loud, but remember that you're in a city. Bring earplugs or headphones or deal with it. The noise didn't bother me while I was sleeping, but I tend to be a very heavy sleeper.

I liked that they had the front door locked all the time. It gave me a great sense of security of the building. But, when I was first trying to check in I was a little confused until the manager opened the door for us. I guess that's just something to keep in mind.

Bring an extra pillow for yourself because the pillows are very soft. (I prefer big and firm pillows). There is no parking for this place, and you have to pay for Wifi. I think it was $5 a day.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I was really well impressed with this hotel, specially with the location - its not around Union Square (where 99% of San Francisco´s hotels are), but in a quiet neighborhood with walking distance to good bars and restaurants. There´s no BART or subway station nearby, but bus service is great and you can also walk to the Civic Center, Lower Haight and Castro.

Room is very good, bathroom is outside but was always vacant and extremely clean. My only concern is the bed, too small for 2 (and we´re not big).

Would definetly stay there again and recommend for budget travelers.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple