San Francisco Marriott Union Square
USD 379*
USD 342*
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
USD 290*
USD 240*
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
USD 625*
USD 505*
Marriott Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
USD 254*
USD 231*
  • Breakfast included
Handlery Union Square Hotel(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
USD 232*
USD 440*
USD 389*
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
USD 196*
USD 179*
USD 321*
USD 296*
Hyatt.com
  • Pool
Hotel Diva(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
USD 226*
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
USD 537*
USD 465*
  • Room Service
1,896 results
All reviewsunion squaregreat locationthe concierge loungecable carjunior suitehigh floorlori's dinersutter streetcorner roomcoit towercounter spacecomfortable bedswould stay here againfisherman's wharfking bedpowell stfew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2012

After extensive research in tripadvisor for a hotel in san francisco, i picked san francisco marriott union square for the good reviews and the fact that it was named one of the best in customer satisfaction in marriott some years before. I love marriott hotels and thats why i registered to be a rewards member.

The location and hotel is great! The room with 2 doubles is quiet spacious and is enough for 4 adults. They also had a separate sitting area for 1. The bathroom looked really small in the pictures but it was better in real life. There was more than enough counter space for my numerous toiletries. We got a room on the 18th floor facing sutter street so we did not have problems with noise at all. No views though except of the huge building in front. No fridge or microwave in this hotel. Not sure if you can request one though. They do have an in room safe. The beds were amazing. Felt like sleeping on clouds! Rooms look really modern!

Location is great. The powell street cable car runs in front of the hotel. Market street is just about 5 short blocks down if you walk along powell street. We just walked to and from the bart station to get to the airport - both oakland and san francisco airport. No difficulty with the luggage during the walk. Union street is just a block away. Lots of food choices around, chinatown in nearby and within walking distance, walgreens just across the street for basic needs. They also had zipcar in the same building so it was easy for us to rent cars for a day.

The problem with my stay only occurred during check in and check out - which is important for first and last impressions i think. When we checked in early, around 1 i think, the did have the rom ready. However the staff seemed more concerned with the business the staff beside him had than mine. He kept on glancing tothe other side. On top of that, even though i only had a small rolling luggage with me and had my husband with me, he handed my keys to another staff who immediately toom my luggage and led us to our room. This is totally INAPPROPRIATE in my opinion. First of all, i believe we sould have been asked first if we needed help. That action did not give us any option to refuse. I myself do not really like engaging other services unless i need to since i feel uncomfortable. I tried to shake off this feeling that the action was purposely done in order to secure tips for this very elderly bellhop and give them the benefit of the doubt that it was purely for service.

The rest of our days, the door men were really nice wih greeting us and opening the door for us. Our second problem occurred at check out. When we tried to leave our luggage at he hotel, this same elderly staff/door man was present. He just pointed to one corner and told us to leave our luggage here. He then disappeared and didnt come back until after 10 minutes!! Another person fortunately was around and put our luggages in the secure room and gave us our claim tags. If he was not there, we would have assumed that we were to leave our luggages in that public corner and would not be given our tags! Then when we came back to pick up our luggages, several doormen tried to engage our attention but we pointed to the same doorman who checked our luggages in since he was manning the luggage area. Fortunately for us because I want to be able to give him the tip for helping us earlier. One particular doorman appeared annoyed after we did that. On our way out, that same doorman who appeared annoyed was the one near the doors. Even after seeing that we were having difficulty with the door, he purposely picked up the phone and turned around!! We were very upset. This is not even acceptable service - this is very very poor service!

Will i return to this hotel ? Maybe if it was the cheapest one around. I will also not make the same mistake of expecting service. It makes me wonder if the doormen are not being paid properly that they would clammor for tips. This seems like one of the best explanation i can come up with.

Room Tip: Zipcar is inthe same building. No need to pay for expensive san francisc parking. Higher floor for less noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dichieport
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I had a 2-day business meeting and this hotel was very convenient, walking distance from several restaurants and short cab ride (plenty of cabs are lined up outside) to the bay and farmer’s market. The room was clean and cozy. Try to book a room on the higher floors to avoid street noise.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I recently attended the VMWorld 2012 conference in San Francisco. The reservation for this hotel was made by the conference sponsor. They informed me a little late of my reservation and because of this, I called the hotel and asked could I briing a check issued from my business to pay for the room. I was told that bring a "business check" would be acceptable. When I arrived, on a Saturday, they refused to accept the check. I had to use a debit card to pay for the room which tied up my funds and I ended up having to eat Ramen Noodles and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches to survive. They finally did accept the check on Monday but they would not releas the hold on my money until we left on Thursday. Also, one of the bellmen walked into my room one evening without knocking to deliver some papers. He claimed that he had knocked to cover his butt. There are a lot of hotels in this area. My advice is to pick another.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel has a great location, comfortable beds and typically excellent Marriott service, but I have to wonder why I can get free wi-fi with a cup of tea at Starbucks (or an order of fries at McD's) but here they ding you for another 12 bucks.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pismopete
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Great points about this hotel was the Doormen were helpful and courteous. Concierge was reasonably helpful but charged us double the normal price for a bus tour, which we found out later! Book direct!!
The room was basic but comfortable and modern.
The poor points were mainly the noise. Minimal street noise apart from emergency vehicles - but there was an awful noise which we think may have been plumbing or something. It was disturbing to sleep. It went on and off all night.
Another downside was that it was slightly further away from Union square than we would have liked to be. That said it wasn't too far to walk. The cable car stops right at the end of the street which is handy.
As a first time visitor to San Francisco, I found the 'What do do in case of an earthquake' part of the hotel manual rather unsettling! But also comforting to know they had systems in place in the event of an earthquake.
If we return to San Francisco I would choose to pay extra and stay somewhere closer to Union Square.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple