“Great Experience -- book Club Level !!!”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 October 2006

I am currently staying at the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental with my 2 1/2 year old. Everything has been wonderful, from the check-in staff to the doorman. I STRONGLY advise paying extra to book club level, though. Here is why:

I booked on the internet with the pre-pay option. Club level was only about 30 dollars per day extra. It is worth the money four-fold. Here are some reasons why:

A private Club Lounge off the lobby with tables, couches, large TV, water bottles, soda, and snacks.

There is food available in the Club Lounge from 6:30 AM to 10 PM. Continental Breakfast (including imported cheeses, smoked salmon, breads, berries, etc.), Fruit and Snacks during the day, Afternoon Tea (with cakes and scones!), Cocktails and Hors D'oeuvres in the evening (premium brands and champagne), and cookies and sweets in the evening. You could actually eat in the lounge and never spend a penny on food. The lounge is also located where my kiddo can watch the California St. cable cars come and go.

The best rooms are given to club level members. There were no rooms left on the Club Level when I checked in, so we were upgraded to a junior suite on the 12th floor. The most I hear is some occasional water pipe noise, but no noise from adjoining rooms, etc.

Free internet for club level members.

Attentive service.

Complimentary overnight shoe shine service. I sent my Clarks clogs just for fun.

Complimentary pressing of 2 items per day.

So you can see that Club Level pays for itself. I highly recommend it.

With regard to "the big hill," yes, Mark Hopkins is on a big hill that you won't want to walk back up from any direction. My advice is to take the cable cars. I bought a 3 day pass and the California line cable car stops right in front of the hotel. I have had no trouble getting on it with my daughter, even when she and I were laden with Chinatown purchases.

This is one of the best hotel experience I've ever had. As far as costing too much, if you are looking for a bargain then San Francisco is the wrong destination.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
11  Thank Jolie B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,616)

Reviewed 23 October 2006

Since one of my colleagues swears by this hotel and stays here every time he goes to San Francisco, I thought I'd give it a shot. Have to tell you, walking in the door, I was impressed. Nice lobby, good service from the outset.

I got lucky with one of the club rooms. That said, the room was not quite what I had expected. While it was clean and comfortable, I have to admit, it was a little smaller than I'd hoped. My concerns faded away after I walked through the bathroom and down the hall to discover that I had a private, rooftop solarium with views out over the city. Absolutely spectacular.

Recommend the bar/restaurant on the top floor (aptly named the Top of the Mark). Not cheap, but a great place for a buffet breakfast, dinner, or a drink with friends.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank awelch2000
Reviewed 19 October 2006

We decided to stay at Mark Hopkins for 3 nights in October 2006. Because of all the terrific reviews here on tripadvisor we were quite excited! Check in was slow, confusing, and the clerk was not overly friendly. When we arrived in the room we were shocked that we could hear everything going on in the rooms around us. Someone else's alarm clock woke me up the next morning at 6 am!

The room service food was often overly salty, or sparse, or over done. I ordered dinner twice and gave up when my food was so salty I did not even want to finish it.

When spending $350/night I would hope internet service was free but it was not.

This hotel while historic and beautiful, does not include any amenities. No spa, pool, etc.

We were told when we booked the hotel that there was complimentary town car service to the train stations etc. However, when we tried to use the town car service we were told it was not available on the weekends.

We paid an exceptional amount for food, internet, parking, but we did not feel we recieved exceptional service.

When requesting extra soap, or towels housekeeping took over 30 minutes to deliver.

The service was not exceptional, and the staff seemed bored, and lacking in customer service skills. The only winning points the hotel are is it's beauty and location.

Stayed: October 2006
5  Thank hotel2006av
Reviewed 12 October 2006

I stayed at the Mark Hopkins Hotel for 7 days last July and I had a wonderful time. The service was excellent, room service was great and the food was so good. My Mom always say "You get what you pay for." That's exactly what you'll get at Mark Hopkins. You pay a higher price for an excellent hotel stay. You will not be disappointed. In fact, I have made another reservation to stay at this hotel while I am in San Francisco for business. I don't think I can ever stay elsewhere. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank plechadores
Reviewed 11 October 2006

Booked the club level. The cost of the extras was a good value. They provided 5 light meals 6:30 am - 10 pm each day. Plenty to eat and drink, wines, mixed drinks all included. For two adults it is great, not for kids. You save time and can relax after all long day sightseeing. The rooms were average size, bathrooms great, beds wonderful. The toilets are very loud, caused by the 1.6 gallon flush. You can hear your neighbors if they are loud mouths, but other than that it is quiet and restful. Great location for starting the day. Two cable car lines within a block, one right in front of the hotel. You can ride right from downtown to the hotel itself. Great views everywhere, you're on top of it all. The Top of the Mark is a great view, but is kind of run down, old standard, could be freshened up. its packed on weekends with marriages. Overall we enjoyed our stay. The grovesvenor is one block away, the fairmont across the street, i may look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple