“Unforgettable :)”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #62 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Probably a slightly biaist review as my partner proposed to me on the last night of our stay so we've been on cloud 9.

Service: bottle of celebratory champagne arrived promptly and was delicious

Top of the Mark bar/restaurant: nice cocktails ($14) and tasty appetisers (we never ate a full meal there but from what we had it was good). Surprisingly casual bar so no need to dress up. Sat night a live band was playing pretty fresh and current music.

Rooms: comfortable and clean. Didn't feel as luxurious as the Inter Con in Manila but still a really great room.

Location: amazing, safe neighbourhood, close to many tourist attractions. Hotel even has a complimentary town car service you can use (pre-arrange with concierge).

Wifi: terrible I'm afraid - didn't work on our iPhones. Spent 40 min overall to IT support. Ended up getting a refund as it didn't work properly.

Overall: we'd definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Upon arrival and to the moment of departure, The Mark Hopkins Hotel is simply, First Rate in every way. You are cheerfully greeted by every staff member, every need is met, almost anticipated.

The down side is one must expect to pay rather dearly for this, so be prepared. $50+ per night for Valet Parking seems a bit stiff, as does the price of in room beverages and snacks, so I recommend they simply be avoided. This is San Francisco luxury, so expect to pay for it.

I would certainly recommend this Hotel to friends and I would enjoy staying here again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the highest floor possible. Slightly less "street noise"...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DaShramp
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed at the Mark Hopkins for three nights and from the moment at check in to our departure the service was impeccable. I was greeted by the assistant manager on arrival and given his business card. I had a room upgrade to a large suite and the view was spectacular. The hotel is a deco hotel and would not be to everyone's liking but the general feel was superb. It was my wedding anniversary whilst there and we received a special chocolate plate from the hotel and a bottle of champagne and this was above and beyond what we had expected. This kind of hotel is why I have been a loyal brand customer and they recognised my loyalty by offering a great service.

They only criticism I have was our visit to the top of the mark bar where we did get a nice view but were sat underneath the a/c which was freezing and then no one came to serve us. I did decide to leave after this because it was too cold and not being served, there was no point sitting there uncomfortable.

This did not detract from the fact both my wife and I had an amazing time at the hotel and would recommend it wholeheartedly

Room Tip: Get high room floor the views are spectacular across San Francisco
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ethixman
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I think the Mark Hopkins has lost its sparkle. The rooms are small with old furniture. However, they still keep the rooms clean. Service (especially Housekeeping) was really bad. Took them more than the usual time to respond. Area around the hotel is very dark at night. Not much restaurants in the area. You will have to go further down going to Union Square.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank yaynte
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

yaynte,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 30 March 2012

A good hotel, but some improvement needed. The good points: friendly service, clean room (if you don't inspect too much), nice little touches (slippers, umbrella, apples at reception). Areas for improvement: mattress sags and should be replaced, windows are thin and you can hear sirens and the like throughout the night and early in the morning--double panes would be nice, walls are thin too and you can hear neighbours and people in the hallway, bathroom is a bit small with not much counter space.

Not a big deal, but there are only 2 elevators, so the wait time can be quite long sometimes.

However, for a few nights stay, the hotel was good enough.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ATravelBug23
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

ATravelBug23,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the very good! Whilst I am pleased with the good and the really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made.
Thank you again for your review.

Ben J