2,751 results
All reviewsnob hillmark restaurantcable cargrace cathedralhistoric hotelunion squarethe club loungetop floorcalifornia streetper dayan older hotelhotel guestsan upgradewater pressurethe golden gate bridgecorner roomvalet parking
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed a few days in the Mark Hopkins and liked this old, prestigious building. The lobby is surprisingly small and you sort of would expect a bar down there. Standard room is good, some people may find the sounds of the cable tram outside annoying (we liked this 'couleur locale') and HD TV would have been nice for that big LCD screen. Staff very friendly: great people outside, excellent concierge, efficient reception desk, very helpful cleaning staff, etc. Breakfast on the 18th floor is ridiculously expensive, but hey: you can't beat the view and the quality is good.

Room Tip: You may want to be careful with rooms on California, with the noise of the cable tram.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I used a certificate to stay at the hotel. If I had paid to stay here I would have been unhappy. The front desk and bell staff is friendly but the rooms are small and out dated. The TV quality was poor and movies were very over priced. The breakfast wasn't kept replenished so food was cold and starting to harden (it could have been an amazing breakfast). I found a hair in my dim sum...it happens but kind of ruined my appetite. The location isn't ideal for walking around the city or finding bars that are open past 10pm. I also forgot my phone charger and called several times - each time I was told it hadn't been found. I'll definetly return to San Francicso but next time I'll stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have less street noise
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Sarahcha
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This is an old, historic, stately property located at the top of Nob Hill. Fantastic views of San Francisco, some of the best in the city. Elegant entrance, terrific doorman service and a nice Lobby. My room was on the 4th floor, was very clean and well appointed. Good bed, good bed linen, and the hotel maids are at the top of their game. This is definitely an "expense account" property, because everything is extra. You name it, it's extra, Internet access will run you $16 per day. I enjoyed my stay at the Intercon Mark Hopkins for several reasons. Location! The street car is right out front and can take you up and down the hill to the Central Business District and the Embarcadero. This is very cool and convenient. I love riding the cable car and you can't beat a stop at the front door of the hotel.

The problem with this property is that it could be so much more. When you go to the "Top of the Mark" the Intercon Mark Hopkins rooftop bar, you exit the elevator and you are faced with a photograph of the bar as it was in the 1930's. You really want to drink in a bar that looks just like that! Turn the corner and you find yourself staring at what looks a bit like a high-school multi-purpose room. Dance floor (I think) in the entry way, an empty piano sits there, the World's smallest actual bar (it seats like 6 people with their backs to the view and no mirrors to even help fake the effect, and lots of little tables scattered around the windows. The view is indeed fantastic, but the bar menu is completely uninspired and the furniture is in vast need of replacement. It makes you want to stay for one drink and leave. I don't get it. This could be "the" place in town. They just cant seem to make up their minds. Ultimately, same goes for the hotel lobby, The main lobby is smallish, but very grand and behind the main lobby are arches leading to a much grander room (or it could be) but it looks like they are storing stuff there. Wierd.

But I digress, It gets the job done, service was good, it could be way so much more, and you kind of expect more based on its reputation and it's historic place in San Francisco's history. I did not see any shortage of guests, so the place must be making some money.

I will probably stay again, but might check out some of the surrounding properties like the Ritz and the Fairmont...

Room Tip: Window are the real thing, old fashioned and provided almost no acoustical insulation. If you're on the "street" side of the property, you will hear the traffic, and the bell on the cable car quite easily even with the windows closed.
Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Islay_Malt
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Overall, this is a great hotel if you can get it at a decent price (I paid under 200/night). I really enjoyed the room - nice and big - and not nearly as musty as was expected (a lot of other reviewers think the rooms had a mildew-y smell, but I never experienced that).

Probably easier just to list the pros and cons:

Pros-
-Decent location- though you will need to walk up and down hills (I didn't mind the exercise)
-Great views.
-Convenient to everything (though the better restos/shops are a long walk or quick taxi away)
-Fairly helpful (if a bit indifferent staff)

Cons-
-The tiered internet pricing is kind of stupid, pricey, and confusing in such a wired city. And it is slow. Painfully slow. I had to use wireless/work outside the hotel to get anything done.
-It is not easy to grab a coffee or a danish in the morning on the way to work. I wandered into the main room in the lobby and they asked me to join a club (huh?) to get served. Then they told me to get back on the elevator (which was really slow) to go to the top of the rickety restaurant to get something to eat. Anyway, I am sure it is fine for a tourist, but terrible for a business traveler on the go. And completely idiotic of them, as I (and I assume most people) will just take their biz elsewhere.

In sum: great place to lay your head if you get a good price. Room is surprisingly decent, but will probably go elsewhere next time

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank mandalaypokerplayer
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Hotel needs an urgent renovation. Decor is outdated and unappealing. Nice flat TV, very comfortable bed, tiny bathroom for 2 or more people to share. Towels and amenities of low quality. Great location but rooms facing California St. are not quiet due to street noise. Got a good deal on Priceline, otherwise wouldn' t pay to stay there. One can get better service/accommodations for regular hotel rates in other properties in the same area.

• Stayed: January 2012