1,835 results
All reviews gas fireplace cookie jar union square wine and appetizers dressing room afternoon wine other guests fresh fruit breakfast was delicious wine reception nob hill charming hotel petite auberge home away from home small hotel room was large breakfast room
Reviewed 14 February 2016

We found this place, due to the fact that it had a free breakfast. The home is decorated in an older time period. Which gave the home, it's charm and character.
The home had many places to relax in. Sitting rooms downstairs, a outdoor eating area and a back outdoor deck off the breakfast area.
I would definitely recommend others to stay here and I would go back again.
A microwave in the rooms, would be helpful or one that you could use in the breakfast area. The hotel, definitely had extras that many would enjoy: afternoon cookies, a wine and snack in the afternoons and coffee and tea - all day and night.
Take a chance on something new and I do not think you will be disappointed!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Bertrand N, General Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2016

Dear Debrap242,

It's so wonderful to hear that you had a memorable stay with us! Thank you for business and we appreciate the pleasant feedback regarding our staff and overall warm B&B experience. We value that you took time to review our hotel. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Warm regards,
Bertrand Newson

Reviewed 14 February 2016

There are many excellent lodging choices in San Francisco. The White Swan Inn is among them. Quaint and charming with a wonderful morning breakfast included for all guests. Fresh fruits and juice, pastries, an egg dish or two and hard boiled eggs, a breakfast meat and oatmeal.
Our room was a very nice sized room with a modern bath and a second "dressing room" sink. It was also very quiet at the rear of the property. The wood floors were old but in good shape with the bedroom being carpeted. The room also had a wet bar with sink and small refrigerator. The room included bottled water and soft drinks at no charge.
Every evening at 5:00 pm there was a great complimentary red and white wine reception served with a fresh yet different snack food each day. Once it was a wonderful artichoke dip with crackers, another day various cheeses. It was very special. And the guests actually got to know the other guests. The group was diverse. Old, young and everywhere in between. US, Canadian, UK, French.
The location of the B & B was superb. Near the cable cars on a bus line and very close to a wonderful upscale pizza restaurant and a very good Chinese restaurant. Across the street - a pub with 30 + drafts on tap and good bar food.
Was not expecting everything that was here!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear John F.,

Thank you for business and we appreciate the pleasant feedback regarding our staff, breakfast offerings and overall quality of your room accommodations. We value that you took time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Warm regards,
Bertrand Newson

Reviewed 13 February 2016

This hotel was….well, lovely. The rooms are large and comfortable. The mattress was very comfy. The staff was accommodating and kind. The breakfast was delicious. The elevator is very old and is hit and miss, so be aware that you may have to walk up a narrow staircase to your floor. I didn't mind.
The one issue was that when I arrived, the heater in my room was stuck in the "on" position. It was like a SAUNA! The first repair person sent up did not fix it, but said he did. When I had to go back down to say that it was still at least 90 degrees in my room, they sent a second person up who essentially pulled it out of the wall, so that, if I'd needed it, I would not have heat. In a week when SF had unusually warm weather, (70 degrees!) I had to put a fan in the window to avoid being too hot on the 4th floor. There is NO air conditioning.
The bathrooms could use some updating.
There is free soda and water in the room fridge….what a GREAT touch!
The location is convenient to everything.
And finally, one evening when I was tired and asked about a place to eat close at hand, the staff recommended the Chinese restaurant about 4 doors down. When they didn't have a menu to show me, a member of the staff ran down there and brought one back to me. THAT is service! Well done! Cheerio!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2016

Love this place!! We stayed here during the Super Bowl and had such a terrific experience. The staff is outstanding. Very charming and homey but also spacious. Good place for groups because you can meet comfortably by the fire, in the library, over breakfast or during their cocktail hour. The breakfasts taste home-made. We plan to go back often.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends

Dear Ricky787,

We appreciate that you selected our warm Bed & Breakfast during Super Bowl 50! We know you had many choices and we're thrilled to have helped make your time in the San Francisco Bay Area memorable. Thank you for your kind words regarding my team along with our food and beverage offerings.

Yours in hospitality,
Bertrand H. Newson

Reviewed 11 February 2016

I know that there is something charming about the idea at staying at a 115 year old inn, but when the inn starts looking like a 115 year old inn that has not been refurbished in many, many years, some of the charm disappears. This was my wife's and my second stat at the White Swan Inn and, although we thought the rooms look "tired" when we stayed here 7 years ago, we thought that we would give it another try. The staff was friendly and helpful and, yes, the rooms are large, and yes, it is in a good location. But! The rooms are beginning to look very worn. The sinks and bathtub in our room really need to be replaced (keeping the colonial look) or refurbished. I think that the only thing that had been replace in the room in the last many, many years, was the carpet. Everything else in the room really needed some attention. Our daughter and son-in-law also stated with us at the White Swan Inn. Their first room had no heat. Management offered to give them extra blankets --but that did not seem like a very good solution. So, when they declined the offer, they were moved to another room. An improvement? Hardly! The second room also had no heat, but this room also had no hot water. I should also mention that the breakfasts were very disappointing. They advertise a full American breakfast but that is certainly not what they deliver (although the breakfast room, which has recently been redone, is very nice). I should also mention that the gas fireplace in our room was really nice and worked well. Also, the 115 year old elevator is fun at first, but when it continuously breaks down or it wont's come to your floor because the last person to use it did not close the door properly, the fun wears off. You might be paying less at the White Swan Inn than at some of the more upscale hotels in San Francisco,, but I think that in this case the old adage is true -- you get what you pay for! Think twice about booking at the White Swan Inn. If you want the 115 year old charm, you will certainly have to sacrifice in other areas.

Stayed: January 2016