“Great location, but bring your own toiletries!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kensington Park Hotel

The Kensington Park Hotel
Ranked #77 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Florida
“Great location, but bring your own toiletries!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We got into San Francisco about an hour before check-in. I had called ahead and requested a quiet room due to past reviews read on Trip Advisor. The desk clerk indicated that the hotel was full to capacity and that we'd need to wait until 3pm to check in. As we walked away with our bags he said that he 'just found' a room on a high, quiet floor that we could go to immediately, however there would be an extra $20/day with tax. The only upgrade to the room was 'better bedding', as he put it. We agreed to take the room, as we were tired from the long flight from the east coast. The room was satisfactory and appeared to be in the middle of a renovation, nice bedding, newly tiled bathroom, however the carpets looked original to the 1920's building and the baseboards were all scuffed and dirty. We settled in for a good nights sleep and were awakened each morning at 5:45a.m. to the clanking of coffee cups and pouring water in buckets by housekeeping - as their closet was just outside our door. So much for sleeping in.....
Oh, and do bring your own toiletries. Two of us shared one tiny bottle of shampoo for three days. On the third day I called the front desk and asked them if they did not replentish toiletries and he said that he would send someone from housekeeping up right away. In about five minutes there was a knock at the door and an older man stood there and barged past me and said 'I want to see'. He proceeded to brush past me and went into the bathroom to 'see for himselft that we were out of soap and shampoo'. He left and came back with a sack of two items each and shoved it at me and said 'will this be enough'? Wow, that's never happened to me at a hotel before. Made me wish that we'd used out Marriott points and stayed there with our executive privileges. We tipped the maid everyday generously, so I didn't see what the big deal was about toiletries.
On the bright side the hotel was close to Union Square. The entire property looked like it needed a good cleaning. They need to send their employees to a concierge school to learn how to treat guests. I would not stay here again. I've stayed many times at the Chancellor (boutique hotel), the Cartwright and the Drake, all of which offer better service.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back, away from the elevator and maids closet. You'll be looking out over...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bocagrlz
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Bocagrlz,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on so many levels. Your experience does not meet the standards that we have set for our staff and hotel and I can assure you that I will be personally following up on the items you’ve mentioned.

I truly feel that much of what you experienced was an exception to the rule as our staff that genuinely cares about our guests and wants them to enjoy their time in San Francisco that said, I will still be following up with our staff to ensure this was a “one-off” experience.

I would be happy to discuss your experience more with you if you’d like. I would also love the opportunity to show you that we can do much better that your first experience with us. Please feel free to contact me so that we can discuss this further.

Best regards,
Lilia Calvario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Would recommend and would stay again if ever back in San Fran

• Stayed March 2012
W Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

On business in San Francisco and missed the so-called 'reduced rate' rooms at the conference hotel near the Moscone Centre. I then took it as a challenge to get 4-star accommodation downtown for sub-$200 a night.The Kensington Park did not disappoint on any level.

My room was clean, spacious and had a very comfortable bed. Decor might appear slightly dated or in need of refreshement to some eyes, but this is clearly a period building - an overtly modern style would not be sympathetic. Staff were friendly, positive and always helpful. We didn't eat at the hotel.

It is very well located for all the downtown attractions of Union Square, Powell-Hyde cable car, Market St. In fact that was my one grumble - the presence of only single glazing in the window made for intrusive noise in late evening, up to 10-11 pm. Resolved I was told by requesting a room on the "Nob Hill side". I would stay here again.

Room Tip: A room on the Nob Hill side...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael D
Millersville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The hotel is old, but the rooms seemed to be in good condition and the place certainly has a lot of character. Staff was friendly. Place was clean. I actually emjoyed my stay - so much more interesting that all those new box hotels. The price was certainly reasonable and the location quite central to Union Square area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Maryland1traveler
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Staff at this hotel get my gold star of approval, service I have not seen in years, or ever! The hotel is charming, our room so comfortable it felt like home. Bedding, pillows, a dream. I saw some reviews about the bath fixtures needing replacement but I did not see that. This hotel is old world charm with heavy brass faucets that may have a slight patina, this is not a negative, unless you prefer standard hotel chrome. Lemon ice water and hot tea in the lobby at all times. Each floor has its own coffee and orange juice station, a real bonus to step outside the door for this in the morning instead of going to the lobby. There is a good -but expensive restaurant next door. There is an adjoining door to the restaurant and worth going for at least the 4-7. Many places to eat and drink within a block of the hotel, including Starbucks and a local Cafe with yummy fresh fruit and breakfast food. We mentioned to staff at the Kennsington that it was our anniversary, they brought us a bottle of wine, along with a personal card. This really made our trip feel special. Staff has lots of tips on what to do and see, never seemed too busy to take to great us and help with any questions. If you prefer a large hotel modern hotel as many do, this would not be for you. We love the old word charm and service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple