“Great home base in SF!”

Hotel Rex San Francisco
Ranked #64 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 8 July 2011

In town for SF Pride weekend. Great home base for festivities and discovering the city, during first time visit.

Service was great, check in was swift and reception made me feel like they were awaiting my arrival. There was an instant feeling of warmth and calm upon entry into hotel from the busting downtown city streets. Plus we got to instantly greet Max the Hotel mascot Pug! Too cute!

Common areas and hotel room were impeccably clean and very well maintained, making for an extremely comfortable stay. Rooms were nicely lit and had some modern touches without loosing comfort and charm. Our 3rd floor King Executive was a bit smaller than our Texas standards we are used to, but comfortable with sofa to relax on, and armoire for ample luggage storage.

Hotel was easy to find, easily accessible to all modes of transportation. Muni and Bart subway station is only a few blocks down. Grabbed a taxi near hotel entry, and made it to fisherman's wharf in minutes. Had reliable and good eats at Lori's Diner just down the block, and Sotano Grill, just up the hill on Powell St, both minutes walk from hotel. All the shopping you could want just over a block and half away at Union Square.

Would highly recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Ask for
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank casasdave
Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed 7 July 2011

So I booked through priceline for this hotel. This was not a bid, I was paying for the hotel upon check-out. In spite of confirming my reservation with the hotel, upon arrival, I discovered that instead of an executive king room, they had booked us in a room with two doubles. Since our class of room was unfortunately occupied, they offered to put us up in the executive suite for two nights if we'd be willing to stay in the double for one night. I thought this was fair and agreed especially since I did not know if this was their's or priceline's fault.

The next day, upon preparing to move, we discovered that we were not getting the suite, but instead the room we should have originally had. The suite was and always had been booked. Needless to say I was annoyed. Now to be fair, the hotel did more than make up for the inconvenience by offering us complimentary parking for one night, breakfast for three, and a discount on the room.

If this was the end of my experience, I probably would have given the hotel 4 stars. However, that evening, we asked the front desk the best way to get to Fishermans Wharf from where we were in Union Square. We were assured that a cab would be at least $20 and that the most economical way was the trolley line. 90 minutes later on the trolley to go 2-3 miles showed me the cab was probably the best bet. That evening the $9 cab ride we took in absolute gridlock showed me they had no idea what they were talking about.

The next morning, the girl at our complimentary buffet breakfast forgot to keep checking the food and practically everything ran out. This for a buffet they charge I believe $15 or more for.

The final straw was at checkout. We had a very early flight and at 4:30 in the morning, a friend of ours discovered she had been charged for the entire mini bar at $200. This was after the hotel offered to empty it so that she could use the fridge. Instead of resolving this quickly, the front desk needed to delete each and every item individually. Ugh!

I will say, the hotel is very clean and pretty, and the location is great. Thankfully, we obtained a great rate, and they were accommodating with the room change. However, I would have been very upset if I was paying their usual rates for the experience we had.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank cwb631
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Hotel Rex San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Dear cwb631,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Tripadvisor. Please do accept my apologies for not being able to make your stay a great experience. Be assured that we usually have a great success rate in doing so. We genuinely value the feedback our guests provide – both when we get it right and when we fail to do so – as it is extremely helpful for us to discover areas in which we need to improve our service and operations.

I was able to contact your friend as I was alerted by my staff about the experience your party had. Please do contact me at 415.217.4023 or my Operations Manager Suzy Charboneau at 415.217.4003 (I will do some travelling of my own soon...) as I would like to follow up with you personally.

Kindest regards,

Lorenz Maurer

Reviewed 7 July 2011

Small room but has all you need, including:robe,hair dryer,iron and ironing board,large flat TV,etc.
Great location.
Wonderful staff.
Do not eat breakfast there:below average quality and above average price.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank gimlaot

Dear Gimlaot,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Tripadvisor. I'm glad to hear that you liked your stay at the Hotel Rex. I would be interested to hear what you did not like about our breakfast - please do contact me at 415.217.4023 or 415.217.4003 if you would like to discuss further. We do value feedback from our guests very much - it helps us to improve our operations and services.

Kindest regards,

Lorenz Maurer

Reviewed 7 July 2011

We just stayed here for 10 nights and it was a great experience. We booked through Expedia after comparing the different hotels in SF on Tripadvisor. After I booked it, I saw it was recommended in the Lonely Planet aswell.

We stayed on the 7th floor (top) and the room was nice, clean and quiet. The location is great, near a cable car stop, Loehman's and the Paul Frank store in the same street just two blocks away. Union Square on 2 minute walking distance were you can find Macy's and other stores. A bus stop a minute away, with line 2 and 3, who, by example, bring you to Japantown. BART and MUNI station 7 minutes away. You can walk to Chinatown in 10 minutes. We also used a bus stop that is 5 minutes away to get to the old Italian district in North Beach with great restaurants.

But there is more! The hotel offers a range of free extra's, which are really great:

- Complimentary Coffee and Tea to go in the morning untill 10 am
- Wine Hour, every day between 5 and 6 pm. As a guest of the hotel you get a complimentary glass of wine everyday
- Bikes! The hotel has 2 free bikes that you can use to cycle the hills of SF or go downhill to the Piers and then over the Golden Gate Bridge. Just make a reservation at the Front Desk a day before and (if available) you can ride them all day
- On the website of the joie de vivre hotels you can find a 'Volunteer Greeter Program' section. A a guest of the hotel, you can book a complimentary walking tour with a local from San Francisco. It's not guaranteed and you have to book on-line in advance, but we did and we had a great 2 hours with someone who really knows the city
- If you want to skip maintenance/housekeeping for a day, you will be rewarded with a 5$ gift card from the Hotel Bar. Great to try the City Fog Coffee.

I can go on, talking but I think you'll get the point by now. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Because it's not a big hotel, the service is very personal.
We loved the city, did all the tourist things, went a day out in the wine country, saw a baseball game, celebrated the 4th of july at the pears near the ferry building and even did a day trip to Yosemite Park with Extranomical Tours. There are a lot of good restaurants, and you can almost in eat in every language.

Last thing: Don't stand in the lines at the cable car turnaround. That line is the biggest tourist trap of SF. You can easily get stuck there for more then an hour. Luckily someone warned us before our trip out there, so we just walked one stop away from the turn around and got on without waiting.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HidWoen
Reviewed 6 July 2011

A friend and i stayed at this hotel when we were in San Francisco for the Wagner Ring cycle. The price of the hotel room and its central location in the city made this hotel our choice. Being close to all transportation especially the cable car and buses was a plus. The hotel offered free tea and coffee all day at the bar, daily San Francisco and New York newspapers, and a chance to pet and pose for photos with Maximus whenever he was available. One night the guests were treated to free wine and cheese. A $5 coupon for use in the bar/dining room is available if one decides to forgo housekeeping services for the day. All the staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was decorated in the same Bloomsbury style as the rest of the hotel. It was fairly large with two double beds. The only drawback to my stay here is that on two separate nights, our neighbours were very noisy around 3-4 a.m. and I had to call reception. The walls are thin in the hotel. Other than that, definitely the Rex is a hotel I could recommend and one I would stay in again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends