We wanted to see Acadia so I booked a month in advance based on the decent reviews here but when the weekend arrived we were dealing with the news of an impending hurricane Irene. We made the call to try it Friday night and call it off early if the weather report looked bad. I assumed the motel would offer a rain check, at the very least. I'm pretty sure that when I asked about my options if the storm should arrive, I'm pretty sure I saw the girl go for the credit card machine faster than John Wayne goes for his gun. She apologized and said it was booked already, that there was nothing she could do, and that she'd have the manager call me. I'll let you know if the manager ever calls me...
The weather held out through Saturday and we decided to get on the road early Sunday morning. Meanwhile, the motel advertised 'special hurricane Irene rates'. I called the front desk to see if my room would be discounted at all given the new 'promotion'. The same nice girl apologized and said she'd have the manager call me. By midday Sunday, as we're pulling into our driveway, I decided to call and see if the manager was around. She was there! Great! So I told her about our game of unilateral phone tag, told her I thought a rain check would've been nice and asked if I qualified for the 'special hurricane Irene rates'? To which her reply was, "If you were on a cruise ship would you ask the captain for a refund?"...whoa
The room was only OK. The water pressure was nonexistent. There was only a bedsheet and 2 old pillows in our 'deluxe' king bed room, and there was a quite annoying light directly outside of the room that required no less than 3 towels crammed in the window sill to block out so that the room was dark at night. The motel was mediocre at best. We were there to see Acadia, so a basic room with a comfy mattress and nice sheets would've made us happy. But this place seemed to come up short.
Overall, it needs to either step it up a little and actually BE the $120/night kind of place it thinks it is...or start charging $50/night, which is the kind of place it actually IS.
For me, the woman in charge who identified herself as being the manager and went on to argue with me about the way business is done will prohibit my future patronage. I told her that my impression wasn't the same as what I gleaned from TripAdvisor. To which she responded, "So now you're blackmailing me with a bad review because you don't know how to run a business?"...double whoa.
I'll keep my Acadia trips enjoyable and stay elsewhere from now on, thanks...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on 6 acres of lawn and trees, just 2 miles before the Hulls CoveVisitor's Center for Acadia National Park, our family owned and operated motel offers 22 clean, affordable,comfortable rooms. Our guests say the eclectic decor gives our rooms a nice homey feel. A place to just relax and enjoy being in Maine. The rooms vary in size from the economy queen unit to a spacious king kitchen. For families we offer the roomy 2 queen bed units with or without a kitchen to the spacious two room kitchen unit. They feature one king, 1 or 2 queen beds and two room units with 1 king and 2 twins, 5 kitchenettes, all rooms have a refrigerator,hair dryer and in-room-coffee, king rooms include a mirowave. The 48 foot ,outdoor pool is open and heated from late June to Labor Day. There are picnic tables, lawn chairs and a gazebo for guest use. There is a woodland path to the property next door to our right which features a restaurant, ice cream shop and general store. Across the street is Pirates Cove Adventure Golf, a 2nd restaurant and gift shop. The Island Explorer Shuttle bus has a scheduled stop right next door. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Acadia Pines Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Acadia Pines Hotel Bar Harbor
- Acadia Pines Motel Bar Harbor, Maine