“Not your average Inn!!!”
Review of The Friar's Pub

The Friar's Pub
Ranked #14 of 153 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Price range: USD 10 - USD 32
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

This place is great. Beautiful building with historical aesthetics. Tom must be a chef because the food he serves is amazing.
Would absolutely come here again if we it was available on our next visit.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Visiting Bar Harbor late September, and my wife and I stayed at a rental house a few steps across the street. A great fit for us. We met Tom, owner and chef while we were sitting on our porch one afternoon, and he said that he had owned the Black Friar for 10 years. The exterior of the building looks like something from an old black and white movie, and the inside is equally cool. A couple of separate dining rooms, with unusual and eclectic furnishings. Definitely worth a visit, even just for drinks in the fun little bar room/ dining area.
I had a big ol' steak that was delicious, cooked perfect, and my wife had the Drunken Burger... also very good. A couple of well made salads with the house dressing were also added.
After dinner, we went to the bar, my wife having a wine, and I had a very good Port, that was perhaps poured too generously.
We returned the next evening just for drinks after walking back from downtown.
We would visit the Black Friar again, if not just for the atmosphere. Get there soon, as I hear the place might be up for sale !

Reviewed 15 September 2017

I was facinated by this place when I found it on the Internet. This last trip to Bar Harbor we decided to go. It was not easy to find but once there we loved it. Friendly staff and the food was very good especially the Spinach Salad. My husband had 2 he loved it so much!!! Go you will not be disapointed.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Black Friar Pub is a bit off the beaten path but still close to Downtown Bar Harbor, near the corner of Cottage and Bridge Street. We were in the mood for a pub style meal on our first night in BH. Our innkeeper said she had been wanting to try BFP so we gave it a try.
It turned out to be our best meal of the week. Our server Taylor was charming, friendly and an excellent waitress. She let my wife try a taste of 2 wines that we were trying to choose from, which was very helpful.
My wife ordered the Haddock and I got the Halibut, which was a special for the night. Wow! Both dishes were cooked perfectly by Tom, the owner of the Inn and the chef at the restaurant. The portions were plentiful, which added to the value of the meals. Sides included a mashed potato cake that was browned on both sides (excellent!) and roasted brussel sprouts (our favorite). The rolls were freshly baked and came with a maple blueberry butter made by another waitress.

We suggested the BFP to some other couples staying at our Inn and they went and loved it as well.

Unfortunately, it was very slow the evening we were there, so I hope more people discover the Pub via our review. If you go and love it, please write a review so this place stays around awhile. Whenever we return to Bar Harbor, we plan to stay here as well.

Can't wait to eat here again!

2  Thank Jeff L
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Very interesting historical Inn & restaurant. Cute little bar area, small but cozy. Friendly staff, delicious food . Open breakfast & dinner