Sadie's by the Sea
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Pago Airport Inn(Pago Pago)
  • Restaurant
Tradewinds Hotel(Pago Pago)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgoat island cafeamerican samoaprivate beachcoffee makersouth pacificthe staff was greatthe air conditioningon premisesview of the baysecurity guycruise shipfree continental breakfastterrible smellfree snorkeling gearresident turtlesrestaurant staff were very friendlyspacious room
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We made reservations, & the receptionist informed me that we could check in the morning. When we got there, around 11, the room was far from being ready. It took about an hour & a half to be finished. When we finally got in the room, the bed sheets were filthy, covered in sand and the cleaning process looked rushed. The air con was on timer, which kept me awake & I had to continually turn it back on. There were also many cockroaches, which was very disburbing.
The Goat Island Cafe was not very impressive. The food in the menu sounded very appealing, but our food was burnt, the meat sauce was put on poorly and it was very over priced. Also, cold cereal and cornbread was not my impression of free continental breakfast. I was very disappointed. Also, just a suggestion, they should have more than one girl at the front desk.
Overall, my stay was not as exciting as I was hoping, but oh well.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank SuperSaiyan
Tom-Sadies, Owner at Sadie's by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

With all the clues in this review I should be able to identify the mentioned problem(s) but unfortunately I have struck out so I must give a general response:
1. Early check-in: This is never promised (unless the guest expects to be charged) at time of reservation. If House-keeping permits, (i.e. rooms are properly serviced) we make every effort to accommodate early arrivals on a no-charge basis. Check-in time is 3pm. (No guest was charged for early check-in in December)
2. "Bed sheets were filthy".. this, of course is totally unacceptable, however Reception was never notified and there is no record in House-keeping log of a problem so unfortunately this is impossible to comment on..
3. "Air-con was on timer"...Let me see...guest checks in at 12:30 pm and is not familiar with AC remote control. This problem is not uncommon but with 24 hr security, reception desk available and Housekeeping personnel being available all day, I question why this was not reported. Any one of these people would have corrected the problem and instruct the guest.on correct operation.
4. There were also "many cockroaches"...Sorry, not acceptable. We take pest control very seriously. Cockroaches are flying insects. Occasionally they will find their way in to a room -we ARE in the Tropics. Again we have no record of a problem being reported..
5. Disappointing "Free" Continental breakfast....Although we are considering it, we have never offered FREE continental breakfast. Obviously this guest simply helped themselves with accessible items adjacent to coffee service and again never communicated with any wait staff.
6. .."Meat Sauce was put on poorly"...there are no dishes on our menu requiring "meat sauce".

It is interesting to note that this guest gave a 2 star rating for "LOCATION"! No doubt SuperSaiyan can suggest a better location.

We encourage guests to post their experiences on Tripadvisor, however this does not take the place of basic communications with service staff, which is, unfortunately, the case with this reviewer.

Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed at Sadies only one night after coming back from Western Samoa this past June. We should have made our stay in Pago longer. This was the highlight of our trip. Everyone who works at Sadies is extremely nice and helpful! The grounds are beautiful, right on the ocean. The goat island cafe is where we spent most of our night ;) Great drinks, good food, music, adorable cats (we miss Ena), and fun staff. We are planning on making a trip back and will definitely stay at Sadies again.

Much Alohas from Hawaii,
Maria and Kimie

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maria H
Tom-Sadies, Owner at Sadie's by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

Thanks for the great review Maria.
We certainly look forward to your return.
Happy Holidays to you and yours.
--Tom.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Recently visited Sadies by the Sea again and had a great time. The staff are very helpful and the rooms are clean and tidy. The food at the Goat Island Cafe is lovely and also enjoyed the local band that was playing by the pool. Thanks to Tom, the owner who always makes our visit enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dinezy
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I recently stayed 11 days in Pago Pago, and fortunately 9 of them were at Sadie's. We had a large group and could not return for the last two nights due to previous bookings. The owner, Tom, and the rest of the staff welcomed us with open arms when we arrived unannounced. They had plenty of rooms, and all of the rooms were extremely comfortable. The food at the Goat Island Cafe on property was the best food that we had on the whole island. The restaurant staff were very friendly, courteous, and attentive. We all got to know each other on a first name basis, so thank you to Faith, Keana, Ala, and the rest of the gang for making our stay there so wonderful. The showers were par for an island, but don't expect excessive water pressure. The air conditioners are ROCKIN'! They will freeze you out! The rooms are clean, and the cable TV in the rom was the best possible on the island. The private beach was great, and Sadie's has free snorkeling gear (however, it only comes in children's sizes) and Kayaks to rent for $5/hour. The view is beautiful, and the location is great. There are plenty of little shops and other restaurants about. I would definitely stay here again.....

The other hotel was newer and closer to the airport, but no where near as comfortable, scenic, or friendly. Don't look anywhere else on the island..... go straight to Sadie's.

Room Tip: All rooms open up to the beach/pool area. My room was 219 and had a great view of the harbor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Agra45
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I just spent last night as Sadie's by the Sea (Sept 22, 2011) and I had previously read the reviews on this website before arriving. I should mention that I travel nearly year round working for the cruise industry and have spent many nights in small hotels on islands all over the globe.
So my expectations were not very high....but I was delightfully pleased by the very friendly people on American Samoa in general...and by Sadie's staff in particular!

We were greeted by Louise upon our arrival and although it was late in the evening, she was very accommodating to us. I found our room to be very clean, well appointed and the facilities were up to date: refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker too! Lots of hot water in the shower and the air conditioning was quite effective. I might mention that the TV cable system currently installed works as well as anywhere I have been and was NOT a disappointment despite other people's reviews.

This morning we had breakfast at the restaurant on the property which was reasonably priced, delicious food, and ample portions. I would come back here without hesitation and recommend it to anyone!

Louise was there when we checked out this morning ( to join a ship 'natch!) and her smile and hug made us feel like family!
Thanks!!

Room Tip: access to the second floor is by stairs only, so if you have lots of luggage...the street level rooms are best for you!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business