“Great studio and loved the location!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Lanikai all fire up in the morning.
Lanikai point
Sunrise on Kailua beach
View over Lanikai
Kailua beach in the morning
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Swedish first
Any
karensSou...
Southern IN
“Great studio and loved the location!”
Reviewed 1 June 2015 for a stay in April 2015

My husband and I had a great stay here and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. I had originally booked us in Honolulu and decided I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. I discovered Kailua after some research and cannot even begin to tell you how awesome this little town is. It isn't far at all from Honolulu yet it has the feel of being far from the crowds. Kailua is a cute little town but has a lot to offer. The best part of the town is the beach--gorgeous beach! We walked about 5-8 min from the studio to the beach and did that daily. We did the Pillbox Hike in Lanikai which was awesome-the views incredible. Tina was super friendly and helpful-gave us lots of good local tips and advice. The bed was comfortable and the room was perfectly cool with windows open and fan going. Didn't miss A/C. Tina had boogie boards and a cooler that we used. The location was great for us as we had a car and drove the whole island. I really loved the location. I just wish we had more than 3 days here. Skip Honolulu and go to Kailua--you will be happy you did!

Bedding & mattresses Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Location!
Liked least: Everything was good.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Steve B
Decatur, Georgia
“Ok, but a few noteworthy issues”
Reviewed 29 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015
people found this review helpful

Though advertised as a studio, it is really just a lovely bedroom with private bathroom and a large closet that also serves as a kitchenette (microwave and mini fridge only). There is a lot to like about this beautiful room. The furnishings are beautiful, wi-fi signal strength is excellent, it is really quiet and it is very close to Kailua Beach Park which is one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. There were some Kirkland (Costco) snacks awaiting us and the room came with plenty of towels, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. Toiletries consisted of a bottle of Kirkland (Costco) body wash - no shampoo. Since we did not bring our own we used the body wash as shampoo (the label did not specify "body wash and shampoo" but we found it worked ok). During our 4-day stay here, we found there were issues that should be noted. First and foremost, when we arrived at around 4pm, our hostess was nowhere to be found; I called her and learned she was in Seattle. She asked if I had gotten her email stating she would be out of town but I had not - I checked my email all the way back to August 2014 and could not find any such email. Anyway, that was not such a big deal, but we owed the balance of our rental payment and she instructed me to give it to her mother who was still at the house. When I knocked on the front door, it turns out her mother is a lovely woman who did not speak any English – none. I tried to mime my need for a pen to write the check (there were none in the studio where I had been directed to look by our hostess) but I was completely unsuccessful. Fortunately, a young neighbor noticed my attempts and was able to translate for me. As we then unpacked our clothing it was quite warm in the room. There was an air conditioner (split system) above the closet but we could not find the remote. I texted our hostess who replied that it would get cool in the evening so we wouldn’t need it. The room was equipped with a vertical oscillating fan and a ceiling fan that kept the air moving but still, it was uncomfortable for us after about 9am every day. Thankfully we had lots of things planned so we were not in the room during the a lot, but whenever we returned to the room after one activity and before the next during mid day we would find the room really warm. I blame myself; I thought I had checked "air conditioning" as a required amenity for my TripAdvisor Vacation Rental search but somehow I arrived at this perfect-sounding rental and failed to notice that air conditioning wasn't included. Oh well. The bed and pillows were very comfortable for sleep; however, because the sheer curtains over the window above the bed dropped to the floor, the bed is placed about 4-5 inches away from the wall. Since there was no headboard, we kept losing our pillows during the night and the one evening we wanted to relax with a little TV before sleep it was very difficult to find a comfortable viewing position because the bed was so far away from the wall; again, we kept losing the pillows. There are windows on three sides of the room and all are covered with sheer curtains – really beautiful and it makes for a bright cheery room – but unfortunately, we were awakened by the sun every morning - so much for sleeping late. And since the morning sun hits the windows to the right of the bed, the room warms up really quickly. Some blinds or blackout curtains would have been helpful for better sleep. The bathroom was fine though a bit small for two men – the pedestal sink allowed no room for razors, tooth brushes, etc. but there were a couple of baskets in the bathroom that worked out ok for us. We learned to be very patient with the hot water whenever we wanted a shower because it took about 4-5 minutes (truly) for it to warm up, and the hot/cold directions on the shower handle were backwards; furthermore, the handle turned without stopping and we weren't sure if that contributed to the warm-up time. However, water pressure was great and the shower was big enough. In short, the room has so much going for it but, regrettably we felt there were too many issues to give it
more than 3 stars: it is certainly adequate and although it did not adversely affect our overall vacation, it did not enhance it either. Obviously others have found it ideal, but when we return to Oahu, we’ll be more careful about our search for lodging.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Location near Kailua Beach Park
Liked least: Small bathroom, no headboard
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
5 Apr 2015
We are sorry that you did not have the best experience at our ohana unit. We always try to do our best to accommodate every person, but unfortunately, every person's taste and satisfaction level is different. We are thankful for all the feedback from our customers as it allows us to better our service with every new visitor. Most of our visitors have been quite pleased as the LOCATION IS PRIME... walking distance to beach and town. Our nightly rates are definitely fair and is commensurate with the type of lodging we provide. If you are ever back in town, please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to direct you to the hotel that would satisfy what you are looking for. Of course, please keep in mind the rates may be much higher, but if budget is not an issue for you, there are many hotels that will meet your every need
Gregory P
Kingston, Canada
“Wonderful Base for Exploring Oahu - Great Hosts”
Reviewed 18 February 2015 for a stay in February 2015
people found this review helpful

My wife and I have travelled together extensively in the past, but have predominately used hotel accomodations to fit our travel needs. For this trip to paradise, we decided to take a different route and opted to try something different by staying somewhere other than a hotel in Honolulu and the Waikiki Beach area. We found Tina and Brian's studio through TripAdvisor and were completely happy and satisfied with our week long rental with them. The location in Kailua was perfect as a base for exploring Oahu and minutes from the world famous Kailua Beach. Tina made us feel very welcome upon arrival and was able to offer us some great tips and suggestions to make our trip very special and memorable. The studio was exceptionally clean, tidy and well-equipped and even though attached to the family home, was very private, which we enjoyed very much. We were so impressed with our stay there that we have asked Tina if we could stay again upon our next visit back to Hawaii. Definitely recommended with a 5 star rating. Mahalo from Canada :-)

Jim B
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Always a wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 17 February 2015 for a stay in February 2015

Kathy and I have stayed at the Kailua Beach Hall Ohana 3 times and love it! It is a second home for us. Always clean and convenientfor walking to the beach or to Island Snow for shave ice. Tina is always wonderful to work with...a friend, and family. Mahalo and Aloha!

MrTroyG
Melbourne, Australia
“Very Enjoyable Stay - Great Hosts”
Reviewed 8 February 2015 for a stay in January 2015

We usually stay a resorts on holiday so this was a first for us. Tina is an excellent host and very obliging. Whilst the studio apartment is attached to their own home, we found it to be quiet and private. The complimentary snacks were a lovely inclusion as well as shower and beach towels. Tina made the room available early to us as well which was fantastic, just turn up and walk right in. No need to arrange a meeting time with the owner, keys were in the apartment. We were out on the first night when Tina dropped by to say hello, so she sent a nice email welcoming us and to ask if we needed anything.

Location is 10-15 mins walk from Kailua beach and a bit further to Lanikai beach. We just drove to Lanikai and parked in the neighbourhood streets. There are plenty of walkways through to Lanikai beach. We walked to town once, but just drove there the rest of the time, about 5 mins by car. The shops are spread over quite a large area, but most of the restaurants are in the main street.

The room is clean and comfortable. There is a TV, DVDs, books etc if you want. The free wifi internet worked really well during our stay. Tina let us use her 2 man kayak with life jackets, dry bag etc. which was great too.

As a previous reviewer has mentioned, the hot water is quite slow, so be patient it does work OK. We had a small car so it fit OK into the allocated parking spot, but as mentioned, you need to be a little cautious, as you park beside the road on a bend. Luckily everyone in Hawaii drives pretty slow and carefully so we didn't have any problems.

Kailua and Lanikai are definately worth a visit and we would happily stay with Tina again due to her being such a fantastic host.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing