“Food is GREAT! CHELLA's Service is HORRIBLE...”

Kailua Town Pub & Grill
Ranked #34 of 154 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 5 October 2017

We walked in and waited by the door for a while, because no tables were ready. It is self-seating, but all the open tables had not been cleared, so the previous persons plates and beverages were still on all the available tables.

After a few minutes of standing by the door, nothing changed so finally I decided to clear a table myself, just so that we could sit down. I moved all the dirty dishes to another dirty table and wiped it down with a napkin.

Then comes the most horrible server I have ever had. Her name was something like "Chella", and she brought over a dry napkin to wipe the table down (I had already did that).

We ordered a round of drinks and waters all around. One cocktail we ordered right off the list "Negroni on the rocks", and she had to ask us to repeat that 4 times, obviously she does not know the menu. Another cocktail we ordered was the "Drunkin Monkey" which was on their old menu, but not on this menu, so I just asked if it was possible to still make that. She said "probably not, if its not on the menu, but I can ask.." For the next 10-15 minutes, we sat there with nothing. Finally ONE beer arrived, but the waters and cocktails were still no where to be found. After 20 minutes we finally walked next door to the bar and got 4 waters from the bartender.
(Meanwhile another group who came in got waters right away, but a different server was helping them)

As we were walking back from the bar side with our 4 waters, we noticed our food was ready, sitting there as our server was in a deep conversation with her co-worker. That conversation lasted another 5 minutes. I was ready to go pick-up our food because we saw it sitting there the whole time. We are paying this food, and we are sitting there watching it get cold. Obviously that did not sit well with us.

When our server was FINALLY finished with her "important" conversation with her co-worker, she came over to the table. We let her know we were not happy with the fact we still did not receive any drinks and asked her to check on it. Turns out she did not even put our drink orders in, outside of the one beer. We also mentioned we saw our food sitting there for a while, and if she could deliver it.
She rudely replied with, "This is not my job, I am usually a bartender"

When CHELLA finally brought some of our food over, we realized she did not even get our food order correct, so the incorrect dish got sent back to the kitchen.

The server helping the table next to us, named Kristen, saw we were unhappy and came to check on us. We asked if SHE could be our server instead and she agreed. Kristen finally put in our drink orders, since Chella did not do so since we ordered it 30 minutes earlier.

We also asked to speak to management, but that did not happen. That is the ONLY reason that I am writing this review, because no Management ever showed up to talk to us.

When Kristen took over, she was 100% better than Chella. She actually ordered our drinks, brought out our correct food order and told us sorry about her co-worker Chella, and that she was not surprised about Chella's (lack of) service, because she gets a lot of complaints. She also said a lot of things are different and no one really knows what is going on. (My service rating only has to do with Chella, who made the WORST impression on us)

The food was GREAT and I would go there again, AS LONG AS CHELLA IS NOT OUR SERVER! Thank you Kristen for great service, and the cooks for great food. It's too bad management did not come out to talk with us, it would have made the entire situation better to be able to inform them.

3  Thank IppyFu

Reviewed 10 July 2017

A bit undecided about going in, but we are glad we did. Been here twice now. Good service and the mahi mahi fish and chips are great, as are the burgers. Will be going back!

Reviewed 9 June 2017

Dark, A/C cooled, great vintage photos on the walls. Understaffed but they work hard. Happy hour menu I suggest the BBQ pork sliders & fries for $5. DO NOT order the Marguerita Pizza, it's horrible.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

We found this gem along the way in our travels and got the best food at way below prices for the islands. Lots of character to the place, excellent food and very hospitable service.

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

We thought this might have some local charm and color, but it was really just a standard American pub. I had a burger. The tomato slice was a little unripe, but otherwise it was fine.

My husband had the shepherd's pie and was disappointed that it didn't have any peas. (By the way, shepherd's pie traditionally contains lamb. This one was beef, but this is a common mistake.)

My husband likes craft beers and was disappointed with the selection.