New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Molokai

Hotel Molokai
Ranked #1 of 4 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Bellevue, Washington
“Moloka'i No Ka Oi (the best)!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Hotel Moloka'i is a nice place to stay and.....pretty much one of your only options on the island! Overall, I was pleased with my stay even though my room was rather average compared to similar properties in the islands. However, I was not pleased that I paid nearly $200 a night for a simple room on a noisy parking lot, on a lower floor and especially during the low season. But....then again when you have little or no competition you can charge whatever you please. The island however is NOT a disappointment! The beauty and the friendliness shown toward you will blow your mind! It is a stark contrast to Maui, Oahu and all the other islands. There are no mega huge resorts, no stop lights, no wal-marts, no shopping malls, no 5* fancy nightclubs and restaurants. To some I suppose this would be a huge turnoff, but if you're looking for the real Hawai'i and not the fake Waikiki, Ka'anapali, Kihei, Aulani Disney Resort, plastic Hawai'i, then Moloka'i is "da place"!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank seahawksteve
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for your review. we look forward to our customers feedback. feedback such as yours will certainly help us.

Thanks again and we hope to see you on your return to the island.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

The hotel is a great interesting place! Beautiful and homely! Be sure to rent a car. Also take in the idea that you are able experience the Island's spiritual, physical, and emotional feelings. Sumo at the front desk rocks and is extremely helpful. Props to him! I went there and wound up going back 1 week later! The locals are awesome and the bartenders are phenomenal!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Jrofrano
John, thank you for your review. I am happy that you truly enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you on your return visit to the island.
Be well
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

This was my first time to Molokai. I had been to Maui and Oahu. I loved this place all the staff was very nice, friendly, helpful, and always willing to help when needed. Right on the beach. Pool was clean and Hammocks big! The GM Michael Drew when out of his way. I had send boxes of food over since I heard it was so expensive. And he picked them up at the Post Office and brought them to our room. Gene the Executive Chef was great also. Did I mention the Food was GREAT! I will definietly come back to the Aqua Hotel Molokai. Most relaxing vacation I have ever had and made new friends while I was there. This is a must stay location.

Room Tip: Single room or second floor room are both great. Have Plenty of Room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Basmith_66_12
Thank you Beth for posting a review. I am truly happy that you enjoyed your visit. I know we will see you in the very near future.

be well
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My girlfriend and I went to Molokai. This was my first hawaii vacation. We were by far the youngest people on the plane and everyone kept asking why Molokai and informing us there was no night life! Hotel Molokai took care of that. There was entertainment every night of local acts so you can get the hawaiian feel. Michael Drew, the GM, is awesome. He went out of his way on everything. On monday night he throws a drink reception for the newcomers. This is great because you get to meet so many new people. So even if you are traveling alone you can find someone to go play with. The beds were so comfy and the rooms cleaned daily...even my dishes were washed!In case the noise bothers you, ear plugs were provided. My sink was slow to drain and I told Michael and it was fixed quickly. Cell phone reception is very spotty...but thats okay because Michael took care of that too and added free phone calls to the states. You also get free coffee or tea! If you need something... just ask! There are free ice coolers that you can check out during your stay. Snorkeling gear is available for rent for the awesome price of $6. Anything you need, just ask the desk. They will help you plan and book any excursions you may want to do. Forewarning...the hike to kalaupappa left my calves sore for days but worth it!!!
The kitchen staff is great also. Gene Pike, the executive chef is great. Just let him know what you want and how you want it and...tada!! He created a new appetizer from the local plant (coi..i think) that was amazing. Its not on the menu currently so ask for it!
To add to the going beyond the call of duty, me and my friend decided we wanted cake only problem was...we couldn't find any anywhere! Michael found us cake! Yummy! Also my last night there, it poured rain. There was 2 inches in the bottom of the jeep before we got the top up. The next morning Michael found a wet vac and had the staff clean out the jeep. It was cleaner than when I rented it! When we got to the jeep, towels were already placed over the seats.
This was a great trip with alot of great people! I would definitely recommend this property!

Room Tip: I had an upstairs room and it always had a great breeze!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lesley W
Lesley, thank you for posting a review. I am happy to know that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. hope all is well and we hope to see you in the very near future. Until then...be well
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I recently visited this property and had such a great time. Relaxing, memorable, beautiful, scenic, fun....I could go on. There isn't a ton to do on this island but all of the things to do are very memorable. Take a mule ride! Hike to Halawa. Stay at Hotel Molokai! The staff goes out of their way to help you and guide you in the right direction. The hotel manager, Michael was tremendous. He spent lots of time visiting with guests and making sure they were having a great time. Gene, the kitchen manager, was equally great. He made sure that we enjoyed every aspect of our trip. All of the desk employees were always greeting me and making me feel like I was at home. I went on this trip by myself and left with lots of new friends. I would highly recommend visiting. Be sure to stay for Aloha Friday! You won't want to miss it. So much fun. Great entertainment at the bar. So peaceful, relaxing, fun....this place will help you find true peace and true fun!

Plus, it rained for a short bit in the jeep and the hotel staff cleaned it out for me. Plus, they washed my dishes and cleaned my room everyday. Awesome!

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room. I loved my lanai.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Scott R
Scott, thank you for posting a review. I am happy to learn that you truly enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope all is well and we hope to see you in the very near future. Until then...be well
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
35.6 km away
23.1 km away
The Blue Goose B&B
The Blue Goose B&B
#1 of 1 in Maunaloa

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!