All reviews north shore pancakes quiet hours private room the kitchen rental car pancake mix free airport shuttle great place to stay free coffee enjoyed my stay felt safe light sleeper other guests air conditioner iao valley common areas
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Affordable, super-friendly staff, great location, pretty view of the West Maui Mountains, very clean, safe (only guests inside, door code required), friendly place full of interesting travelers, plenty of local info, amenities such as free morning pancakes, nearby inexpensive food court, free parking... Need I go on?

• Stayed: May 2013
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Thanks for posting your reply, we really enjoy providing the most affordable accommodation in Maui....please go on!

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We found at the Northshore Hostel a very friendly place. Everything is made for guests to feel at ease. All is very clean. Good free pancakes. Free shuttle from and to airport and beach. Lots of useful information. And truly unexpensive. Mahalo Janine, Scott and Chris ! The Northshore Hostel is your home out-of-home in Maui ;-)

• Stayed: May 2013

Thanks Moana....we're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again someday at your Maui Home!

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the North Shore Hostel for 23 days, while exploring Maui. The staff treated you less like a guest and more like a member of their own family. The knowledge they had of the island was more than enough to keep me entertained throughout the entire trip.
Scott, Janine and Chris are some of the best people I ever met in all my hostel stays (11 to date), they were very attentive to everyone's needs and all have an awesome sense of humor.
I stayed in one of the many dorm rooms with a group of awesome people and made some life long friends along the way. The dorm beds were comfortable, the rooms have AC units and they have an awesome kitchen, that have free pancakes, coffee and tea in the morning. There is no swimming pool or fitness center, but who needs one with all the beaches and hiking trails?
The surrounding town has most of the amenities that you need: gas station, drug store, coffee shop, nice eatery down the road and even a local pub.
When I return to Maui, I will most definetly be returning to see these great people. If I don't, I'm sure Janine would probably kill me.

Room Tip: Get the dorms, you can talk to a bunch of awesome people and make good friends!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert Z

Thanks for your wonderful description, we couldn't say it any better. We hope that you return to say hello again soon...a hui hoa!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Nice and friendly staff clean rooms. A bit overpriced for what you got and where it was located. I guess That's Maui. Not smoker friendly forcing smokers to cross the road and smoke in a dingy and dodgy car park with junkies and crazy's was a bit worrying especially at night but again I noticed all over Maui smokers were treated like 2nd class citizens. In summary good hostel bad location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Anthony
Sorry you had a bad time...we do ask that guests smoke across the street...it's actually a law in Hawaii that smokers cannot be within 7 meters (20 feet) of any business entrance. And we are still the lowest priced hostel in Maui....happy trails!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hostel is just perfect for travelers looking for all the comforts of home when staying in Maui at a fraction of the cost. We were on our honeymoon so we got the private room which had a nice cozy bed with privacy blinds and curtains plus AC and a ceiling fan. It was very warm when we were there and we didn't even use the AC but turned it on fan only at night for white noise from the traffic outside. There is a great little street in walking distance with great shopping and dining including a Subway , tattoo shop, and a massage parlor that I recommend. Safe parking across the street and short drive to the airport and beach. 24hr gas station down the street too. The bathrooms are shared but updated and kept spotless. we always had hot water and never had to wait as there are 4 bathrooms with showers. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the balcony has a great view of the mountains and plenty of free coffee and pancakes in the Kitchen. This place is great. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: private rooms by the balcony are just as nice as a high priced hotel with ac and and a view of parking lot to keep an eye on your rental car.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thanks for your excellent description....I want to use your review in our marketing material! Mahalo for your visit and Aloha!