“Not good Vietnamese food”
Review of Fresh Mint - CLOSED

Fresh Mint
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I love Vietnamese food, and was super disappointed eating here. It was lacking the fresh herbs that Vietnamese cuisine is known for. The dishes were heavy and not super flavorful. Lots of mock meats. I'd prefer them to use less soy/wheat gluten fake meats and use more fresh veggies from Maui! The place was also super duper hot inside.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

My wife and I had dinner here while visiting our daughter who lives nearby on Maui. She recommended this restaurant as "a great place where the locals go". It's a small place with just a few tables. The food was very flavorful and nicely prepared and presented. Service was a bit slow, but this is a laid-back town, and we were in no hurry.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I took a seat at the window, facing gorgeous I'ao Valley. I ordered the summer rolls. They were sweetly presented, quickly. But had a dry quality and lack of overall flavor. The sauce also was just okay. I also ordered the "spicy lemongrass eggplant." It was not spicy at all. The eggplant was nicely cooked but overall the dish and the experience was not memorable.

I do recommend the Thai ice tea with coconut milk at this Vietnamese vegan restaurant.

It is located across from the post office about a half mile mauka (away from ocean) from "downtown" Paia.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This little dive isn't atmospheric, but the food's tasty. Be advised that your fish won't have swum and your chicken didn't start as an egg: the protein here is derived from tofu, and some diners -- my wife, for example -- prefer their soy products as what they are, not masquerading as something they aren't. If it tastes great, you can call it anything you like.
The pseudo-fish dish was fish shaped and deliciously sauced. The vegetables were fresh and carefully prepared.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

This is a family owned type of place. Employees are friendly. Decor is basic, food is good. Sometimes it is empty and sometimes packed. When packed it is loud. Since it is so casual it is a good place to take kids.

Feel free to describe your needs. If you are looking for a lot of food for a certain price they can add rice. I've tried several dishes in the last month and all were good. One which was mushrooms and fake beef was very good. The Pho left me stuffed.

There is on street parking and a dirt lot across the street. Be careful not to block the nearby post office or drives as I've heard you'll be towed. The restroom is through the kitchen and up some steps so not really easy access. The bathroom door will slam and smash your hand so take care. The place is clean. I'll be returning as I consider it tasty. Not all persons in our group are vegetarian but it is the one place we all agree on going.