Lowest prices for your stay
USD 342
Hotels.comUSD 342
travelup.comUSD 345
PricelineUSD 342
5,720 results
All reviews the cottages cottage room royal scoop tower rooms ocean view black rock our honeymoon whalers village free trolley breakfast buffet kaanapali beach beautiful beach mai tais per day an upgrade front street tennis courts
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had booked a holiday for my 50th as a present to myself with one of the Hawaiian islands being a must! My travel agent booked Maui for me and the hotel and I must admit that when I read the reviews, I was a little bit apprehensive.
I got to the airport and the Speedi shuttle rep came looking for me. When I got my case, she got me a shuttle and my suitcase was loaded up for me. The driver was great and we actually share the same birthday. He told me places to visit and when we got to the hotel, helped with my suitcase and the bell boys showed me where to go to check in. I had a cottage room and was taken there via golf cart which was brilliant!!! The reception staff and the bell boys were great and very helpful.
The room was facing the golf course and when I sat out on the lanai (patio) there was a hedge that gave me my privacy and still didn't block the sun. The room was big, had plenty of storage space and was very clean. It had a safe, a big shower, a coffee making machine and a fridge which was stocked with bottles of water daily! Yes the room was basic and needed a little bit of TLC but they are in the middle of renovating all the cottages and I didn't want to stay in the tower as it was like having my own little house in Maui!
I loved the hotel, the food was good and not that expensive but I did try other restaurants and I found a good chinese restaurant at the Fairway shops. Whalers Village was a short walk or a trolley ride (depending on how lazy you are feeling) and I stocked up with coffee and milk from the shop down there. I would recommend going to the Lahaina Village and having a look round and you can't miss going to the Banyan tree! Amazing! I also went on The Road to Hana trip booked while I was at the hotel. If you hire a car, you are not insured to take the whole road so I would go on the van journey which was the best experience. You also get to experience the hairpin bends!!!
The beach at the hotel was pristine and I spent my time there rather then the pools. The pools were great too and not busy but I do love my snorkelling so its the beach everytime. And we were honoured by a visit every day from a monk seal which was moulting and chose that beach to lie on.
I didn't get to meet my cleaners as I was out of the room but they were brilliant. And so was the lad who came to fix a small problem with my sink. The restaurant staff were good and the service was excellent but I can't say enough good things about the bar staff! Eric, Mark and Jose, thank you for making my stay the best. Thank you for talking to me and making me laugh and for keeping the Becks stocked! A couple that I met at the bar the night before my birthday (you know who you are if you are reading this review) told Eric it was my birthday and for the rest of my stay, I was known as birthday girl! Excellent service all the time, thank you.
I had a very relaxing holiday and I am hoping to come again.

Room tip: If the aircon gets a bit noisy, turn it off and open up the patio door and pull the screen across. The breeze was great!
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Claire W
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Aloha Claire (aka Birthday Girl). Sounds like a very happy 50th birthday holiday indeed! Love reading how much you enjoyed the island and resort. I will be sure to share your kind praise with our guys at the bar. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Mahalo.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

From the moment I was greeted by the gate keeper "Aloha Vickie, welcome home...You're home now! Welcome" It set the tone to a fabulous 9 days of fun in the sun with the nicest most helpful staff! One bad point, I had my wedding dress steamed out from my travels and they sent it out and it cost me 104.00 which was crazy. They cost when I returned home to have the same thing done at my local dry cleaners here was 20.00 Other than that, everything was perfect and this is the most peaceful and beautiful place in the world with breathtaking views ...totally amazing trip!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolinaChic74
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Aloha Vickie. Thank you for the 5-star rating and for selecting the Royal Lahaina to celebrate your honeymoon. So happy to read that you had an amazing trip and enjoyed our beautiful Island of Maui. We hope to welcome you back again. Mahalo.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed 8 nights for a conference & several days of relaxing after. We had a standard room in the tower with a pretty good view of the ocean. The room was clean, large & comfortable beds. Our housekeeper, Cora, was so very nice & took good care of us. Our room was on 6th floor over the front entrance. We should have asked for another room as we could hear lots of noise. The service from every employee was outstanding. The ice creame shop closes at 7 pm. To late for an after dinner dessert. They have a nice large gift shop/store. The pool is not large & is very close to the restaurant. There is a smaller pool close by. The beach was not crowded & great for swimming. This hotel is not within walking distance from other restaurants. The hotel has only 1 place to eat. There is a free trolley that runs about every 1/2 hour to take you to a nice shopping center that has many dining options. The excellent service makes up for some of the short comings.

Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank daler225
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Aloha Dale. Thank you very much for the positive feedback. So glad that you were pleased with the service. The shopping area you refer to is Whalers Village. The free trolley is available or it is about a 15 minute walk along the Beach Walk from the resort. I will be sure to share your kind review with Cora. Mahalo.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Royal Lahaina Resort has been around for a long time and they have chosen to keep the lobby reminiscent of the 60s/70's through all the refurbishments. I would call the Royal Lahaina an iconic hotel. Much more authentic than people might realize. Nothing fancy (except these suites!!!), LOTS of Aloha Spirit and good food. I loved the singer and dancer that enchanted the dining guests with enjoyable entertainment. I'm not sure if it is a regular thing, but the dancer would sit out a couple songs and was stringing flower leis and would then present them to the dining guests (women). That is just too awesome! The staff is very friendly. I would like to mention Makana, a nice young man at the front desk, that I was fortunate to interact with on two occasions.
The tower building has nice rooms all the way around. Updated, pleasant to the eye, etc. However, my one bedroom suite just about knocked my socks off! I was in the corner that faces Lahaina and it was nothing less than magnificent to walk into my bedroom and behold a million dollar view! And, a 4 poster bed! I honestly I had to pinch myself. The bathroom is quite large with a sexy cleopatra free standing bathtub. There is a big shower too. This suite has honeymoon written all over it, or any type of romantic interlude. Laying in bed looking at the ocean is on the top of my list of what makes a room good for lovers.
The living area/room has a flat screen TV, sofa bed, sink area, refrigerator. I did not ask if they had microwaves to use or rent, but there is plenty room for one. I give the suite experience a two thumbs up, add a dash of authenticity and old fashioned aloha spirit, expect that it is NOT the Four Seasons or Westin (nor is it priced that way), and have a most amazing vacation. I did!

Room tip: Suite 6031
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank Melissa M
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Aloha Melissa. Thank you very much for the kind review. So glad that you enjoyed the traditional Hawaiian ambiance of the resort and the oceanfront suite accommodation. Our Lanai Suites are incredible and as you mention are ideal for honeymooners or anyone looking to enjoy their Maui holiday in luxury. Mahalo.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The four star rating is not for the cottages at Royal Lahaina. It is for the tower. There is a huge difference. I was not sure whether to give it a 3 or 4 star review. My wife said it was a four star.

My wife and I married in June 1983, and stayed here for part of our honeymoon. We had such nice memories that when I saw a deal for this place in Travelocity for our 31st wedding anniversary trip, and the deal was for the cottages at the Royal Lahaina (which is where we stayed in 1983), I grabbed it.

I felt like they have done anything to maintain the cottages since 1983. I read that there was a 33 million dollar renovation on the tower, but they apparently did not touch the cottages.

The room had many maintenance-related flaws. For example, the shutters would not properly close (which is important when you are at ground level) and the room smelled awfully musty/moldy. I felt like we had just moved into the slums.

I probably waited until around 10 pm to call to complain. I calmly explained the issues (in greater detail than above) and asked to be moved. The front desk was reluctant at first, claiming that they were full, but then said that they could move us in the morning. After a little more gentle prodding, I think that the clerk became just a tiny bit sympathetic and asked to put me on hold. When she came back on the line, she offered to move us to the tower as soon as we were ready to move.

When we walked into the room at the tower, it was so refreshing. After having been in the cottage, it seemed like we had "arrived."

The tower room was nice. It had a little balcony, big enough for two chairs and a little table. It was clean, smelled fresh, was modernized and was comfortable. The hotel provided free, crappy Internet that was a little better than dial-up, and that you had to keep logging back in after an hour or two (or you could pay to get moderate-quality Internet, to avoid being punished for being cheap). I did not like the refrigerator. It cooled the contents only. It did not chill the contents. The room had good air conditioning (especially compared to the little wall unit in the cottage, that could not cool that room).

The staff was pleasant. The location was excellent, with a beautiful beach that was hardly used. The parking was very close to the tower (it would have been far to the cottages, which are on the opposite side of the tower from the parking). There is a luau on the grounds (I left a comprehensive review of that separately).

My wife and I went for a little walk in the direction away from Lahaina. There is a hotel next door that is shut down. It is also beach-front like the Royal Lahaina. That seemed odd.

I am not sure that I would stay here again. The cost was very reasonable, but that low-cost offer was for the cottages (which earns a one-star). If I had to pay a lot more to stay in the tower, I would probably opt for other lodging. But it was a good value at the price they would charge for the cottages.

Room tip: Whatever you do, stay away from their cottage rooms!!!!! The review explains why.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrianAndMary1
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Aloha Brian. Thank you for the feedback on your stay. Sorry that your original cottage room was not up to your expectations, but glad to hear that you were pleased with the Tower room. We have recently begun a renovation project for our cottages. At this time we have a limited number of fully renovated cottage units available, which can be booked though our hotel reservations office. We will continue the cottage renovation program over the next year. At this time most of our cottage rooms offer an older, moderate level room product. Many guests enjoy these units and the atmosphere of being located amongst the gardens. Our Tower rooms have all been fully renovated and offer a modern, deluxe accommodation experience. Starting prices for our Tower rooms are just slightly higher than the cottage rooms. Additional rate information for all room types can be found on our website. Mahalo.