All reviews friday mornings friday breakfast cornbread garden view pineapple returning guests coastal trail mai tais great snorkeling full kitchen tano studio lawn paradise grounds maui ocean
Reviewed 8 January 2016

Wonderful condo. Really loved staying here. I do not agree with Kitty S. review that it is a great place for kids. This is a very quiet resort with many older guests. We saw very few children here on our stay. One on the biggest reasons we stayed here was that it attracted an older crowd.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoveMauiForever
Reviewed 7 January 2016 via mobile

Our family has been coming to the Napili Surf for years. Originally, when my mother was alive, we were 4 generations; now we're 3. But there's always something for every age and activity level, from whale watching to running around with a lot of other kids until they are all tired enough to go to bed. The Surf is right on the beach of beautiful Napili Bay. You can snorkel (lots of sea turtles), surf, paddle board, kayak or just bob up and down in the waves. There's also two swimming pools. Units are large and airy; all have lanai or balcony and fully equipped kitchen to make all your meals. Mai Tai hour on Tuesdays and breakfast on the lawn on Fridays. Yum!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Kitty S
Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

Napili Surf Hotel is a quaint property on Napili Bay. It has the old Hawaiian charm on a picturesque bay with tall palm trees, golden sand and blue ocean. Napili Bay has to be my favourite beach in Maui! We stayed in room #203 which was definitely older and ready for a remodel, but it didn't seem to bother me as the ocean views from the patio were so mesmerizing. You're steps from the ocean, pool, bbq's, parking.... It's truly a great spot and very convenient to everything you need. The studio room was clean and had a very comfortable memory foam king bed. I had one of the best sleeps as I listened to the waves crash all night. It was quiet, peaceful and romantic. Though it's not ultra luxurious, it's certainly a beautiful setting and very tranquil. The staff all seemed lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I would come back in a heartbeat!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TresChicTravel
Reviewed 17 December 2015

First off, we've been to The Surf many times over the years, but never stayed in unit 101 in the buidling closest to the beach during previous trips. If was finally available on this trip. (My husband's parents used to own this unit when the complex was first built many years ago, but it had never been available on our trips.) If you have the opportunity, this is one of the nicest units in the complex. Great view, extra private outside eating area, and prime location next to the beach & pool.

Napili Surf is NOT an "ultra-luxury" complex like the 4 Seasons or one of those kind of places. It is, however, a really nice place with beautiful grounds and more Hawaiian feeling than many of those bigger complexes. The people who run the place are lovely (more on that later) and it is timeless.

I would say that this is a great beach for families with older kids (tweens/teens). We certainly loved it when the kids were younger, but the beach/ocean here can be a bit stronger than more placid beaches like Kameole in Kehei. Our daughters got SCUBA certified last year and loved snorkeling near the Kai and over the reef. During the winter there are good breakers for body surfing. No buildings are over 2 stories, so doesn't feel overbuilt and crowded.

Sadly, some of the old stand-bys at the beach like the little store next to the Sunset are gone - real bummer since we loved to get ice cream there. The SeaHouse Restaurant is still there (once the Maui Moon for you oldsters) as is the Gazebo.

We were there last August during record-setting heat - a series of hurricanes were due to come through and the trade-winds were totally absent; something we've never seen in the many times we've been to Maui. Because the units don't have AC (we've never needed it), this one stay was incredibly miserable due to the heat & humidity. We stuck it out for 3 days and then went to the office and told them we just had to leave because I was starting to experience heat stroke. THEY REFUNDED OUR MONEY IN FULL FOR THE REMAINING DAYS. Amazing given they probably weren't able to re-rent the place out because of the heat. They said they wanted us to be happy and continue to be repeat visitors. Believe me, this gesture will guarantee that.

If you want a place that feels like Hawaii as it used to be, try the Surf. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: front 2 buildings have views - unit 101 in the first building nearest the beach is unpdated beautifully. Back building has its own pool.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank meredithandmarley
Reviewed 11 December 2015

Great little resort, and little being the special aspect of this pretty spot on Napili beach. Very friendly people that run the place and same for the other quests. We love the quiet so mostly you just hear the waves crashing and birds singing. There is a no cell phone rule for common property which is the first time I encountered such a rule, and I fully endorse it! The rooms are very lean, have been updated and are spacious. We love the view from our lanai. Free hospitality drinks on Tuesday and coffee on Friday am. The BBQ area has first class equipment and by the beach for a nice cooking experience.
Will return, as most of the other quests here have done over the years

Room Tip: Studio units on second floor in building facing ocean have great views
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple