1,295 results
All reviews castaway cafe banyan building coconut building aloha tower full kitchen black rock garden view whalers village free trolley smaller pool beach walk main building great beach two queen beds onsite restaurant studio condo beach towels
Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

This was the first time my family has vacationed in Hawaii. We travel a lot! I'd been asking my husband for 12 years for this to be our vacation destination and for my 40th birthday I got my wish! Our family isn't "resort friendly". We don't enjoy crowds, or noise, or lots of other tourists invading our space. We don't like huge elaborate pools that steal your attention. We don't like pricey room service food or "just charge it to my room" kind of restaurants. We like space! We like full kitchens!! We would rather a 2bedroom 2 bath comfortable layout than a hotel room anyday!!! If you are like us then come stay here!!!

Beautiful well maintained grounds. We enjoyed the multiple walking paths, lit my fire torches by night, we enjoyed the beautiful beach right out side our condo. We enjoyed making our own breakfast and eating on the lanai with a view of the ocean. We enjoyed the affordable rentals beach shack, the multiple pools, and our keep parked right outside so we can run to dinner or explore a waterfall in a snap!!
Parking is FREE and the resort fee is well worth the $15 a day!!!
If you rent VRBO's if you prefer space and comfort to commercialized large resorts. This is your spot!! Btw we stayed in Banyan Building condo 240. I do recommend the second story condos as the lanais are much larger!! Even though we booked through Costco I called the sort to ensure we were in a modern renovated unit.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Suzanne S
Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

The on site restaurant was very poor, I am not including that in this review, I'll review them separately.

We stayed in an ocean side studio, reserved through Costco. Our room was excellent. Great location, near beach and main pool. Another room in our group was a 1 bedroom w/ 2 queen beds in the tower. It was perfect for the family of 4, and a quick walk down to the pool and beach. Unfortunately the third room in our group is what lost the 5th star. It was a ocean side one bedroom in the Emerald building. It wasn't really one bedroom at all, it was a studio with a loft. The loft had steep steps that weren't great for the age of guests staying there, and the furnishings were very run down (ratty old carpeting).

The main pool was fantastic, with bridge and small waterfall. There was a shallow area for small children. You can buy drinks from the bar and have there, but they say no alcohol of your own.

The beach was great and very swim able. The beach walk goes right through the property and makes for a great morning activities. There is a little rental shack on the property where you can get chairs, snorkeling gear, sunscreen and more.

The Royal Lahaina, next door has an ice cream shop, great evening stroll - not far at all.

There is a very nice grocery store just 2 lights north, better than Safeway.

May family would definitely come back and hope we get the better rooms.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeaSalted
Reviewed 3 October 2016

The "Villas" are in a central location of the large Kaanapali Beach. We had a studio condo with an ocean view. We were in the "tower' on the fifth of six floors. Being that high up and on the south side gave us spectacular sunsets every night.The furnishings were very new, clean and in excellent condition. Daily maid service was great. The complex is larger than the photos would lead you to believe. Some of the garden view rooms are a stones throw from Highway 30. Staff was absolutely outstanding! Always smiling and very helpful. There is a small store on site but only has a minimal number of things you might need. Costco and Wal Mart are very near the airport, so we stocked up there. Great snorkeling at Black Rock after a 15 minute walk. Whaler's Village is walkable, but a free trolley comes by hourly and operates until 10 PM. We used taxis when the trolley schedule didn't fit our dinner plans and ran us $6 to $10. Parking is tough.

Room Tip: If I were booking a garden view room, I would try to make sure that it wasn't in very back of the complex because of the highway.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank auric1111
Reviewed 1 October 2016

We took a last minute trip to Maui over Labor Day weekend. We thought about trying some of the other resorts e.g. Westin or Hyatt, since we were interested in their facilities and amenities. But value, price, & prior experience swayed us to go back to Kaanapali Villas. So glad we did. We had a full kitchrn, 1 bdrm, & partial ocean view. The receptionist allowed me to check out several rooms prior to picking our room. Having 2 small kids, we were picky on space & layout. Overall, we had a wonderful time. We appreciated the staffs' aloha spirit, the laid back vibe, nice facilities, fewer crowds, & close proximity to a swimmable beach. We weren't impressed with the on-site restaurant during our last visit, so we skipped it this time.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

The complex was a mix of hotel and private condos. The pools were warm,quiet and available. The beach was perfect for swimming a little walk up by the Westin Villas the snorkeling was easy. Their Castaway restaurant / bar was a great place for Happy Hour,$6 my tai,and our dinner was great. Very by the pool/ beach setting. There was public parking by the beach and you could ask for visitor temp pass. There is a free shuttle to Whalers Village or a nice 20 minute walk.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family