All reviews nightly luau ocean front resort amenities an older building beautiful beach hotel room oceanfront room top floor bed was comfortable hear the waves awesome location beach access first floor tennis courts housekeeping staff watch the sunset front street
Reviewed 28 August 2018

I came to Maui for my friend's elopement. I was staying on Oahu, but what a great reason to come here. I looked through TA for a property that was close to them but far away from the touristy Lahaina. I booked a package through Hawaiian Air and chose an ocean front room. The best choice!!!

The room was on the second floor and a very good size. It could use some updating and there were some cosmetic things that average people would complain about. There are three floors but no elevator. But once I opened that sliding door, all that mattered was the view of the ocean and the sound of the waves. I left it open at night and was lulled to sleep and gently woken up in the morning. In the afternoon, I sat in the rocker and read my book. Later in the evening, I stood at the railing and watched some of the luau show. A perk for room 1520.

The staff is some of the friendliest people. They are courteous and give you their undivided attention. And I'm talking about everyone from the front desk, bell, housekeeping, pool attendants, and servers. Another great perk is the use of the amenities at the Royal Lahaina. Again, this little gem is a great place to stay and I would definitely stay here again when my travels bring me this way again!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
HHR_CustomerService, Customer Satisfaction Specialist at Kaanapali Ocean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Aloha

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We loved reading your review and sharing your adventure with you. We love that you had a wonderful stay and were able to enjoy the ocean view. We look forward to welcoming you again for your next adventure.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

We're the kind of folks who choose a hotel for its safe and accessible location, low price, and basic amenities; we just want a comfortable place to sleep and that has working bathroom facilities, not a cozy home away from home. The Ocean Inn fit the bill for our recent 10-day stay in Maui. Some details:
-- Our flight from NY unexpectedly had to stop in CA for refueling, plus our ride from the airport to our resort was delayed in traffic, so we arrived at the hotel a few hours later than expected. When we checked in I stated that we were there on their anniversary package, but the staff didn't react at all (according to their website we were supposed to receive some kind of welcome gift). I mentioned our special occasion again in case they hadn't heard me the first time, but still got no reaction. I was too tired from our trip to make a real fuss about it.
-- We were on the 3rd floor, which was fine for us since we're used to stairs but I can see it would be difficult for anyone with mobility issues. It was nice having nobody living above us, and the occasional sounds of birds on the roof was amusing.
-- Other reviews have commented on the dated decor and peeling paint, but I agree with those who point out that these are purely cosmetic issues. The plumbing worked fine, we never had any issue with bugs, the lighting was adequate (although the lamp closest to the bed only worked sporadically). NOTE: The shower head in the one-person-sized shower is placed really low on the wall. I'm 5 feet tall and it was barely over my head; my husband is 6 feet tall so it was awkward for him to use the shower. Not sure how much trouble it would be to move the shower head higher or replace it with the kind that's on a snaky extension.
-- The walls are thin, allowing sounds from other rooms and the hallway to be heard quite clearly. We had a couple of nights where we yelled at the kids next door to quiet down, especially when they played with the sealed space that used to be doors joining the two rooms (we suspect they thought others in their group were in our room, until we shouted at them). However, we're used to NY apartment living so the sporadic noise wasn't a big enough issue for us to report to management.
-- I found the bed okay, but my husband didn't sleep well due to the mattress cover or something that kept bunching up and making him uncomfortable. We should have changed to the bed closer to the lanai doors, too, because the A/C blows directly on the bed we slept on, which made for very chilly mornings until we decided to turn the A/C off when we went to bed at night. The pillows were much softer than we like, so we ended up using 2 each to try to get adequate head support for sleeping.
-- The two minor issues we did report were dealt with immediately and efficiently. When we arrived our room safe was sealed and locked, so maintenance had to drill it to get it open and then tell us how to use it properly since there weren't any directions in or on the safe. Our TV remote wasn't working so another worker came up and had the right sized tiny screwdriver to use to replace the battery. Easy-peasy.
-- We loved that the beach is steps away from the property, that the 3 pools of the Royal Lahaina Resort (the parent property) are accessible at all hours, and that we could walk to the Fairway Shops & local bus stop & Whaler's Village easily. We never took advantage of the gym or spa facilities, or the tennis courts or golf courses, but I've no doubt others will enjoy such amenities.
-- The on-site restaurant is superb. They've got hula dancers who celebrate the sunset each evening with the blowing of a shell horn and short dances by the main pool and the dining room that overlooks the pool and the ocean. We dined there twice and enjoyed the delicious food and gorgeous sunset views.
-- Yes, as others have said, the luau is Right There so if you're at the Ocean Inn either in your room with all doors closed or on your little two-person lanai or in a hallway you WILL hear the show between 6:30-9:30. One evening my husband & I decided to have dinner on our lanai and listen to the show from the beginning. At some point I went and sat down on the outdoor stairway and watched the enjoyable show of talented artists through the final act. Being able to turn a negative into a positive is an excellent trait to have in life.

We don't know if we'll return to Maui in the future, but if we do we'll probably stay in or closer to Lahaina Town. The Ocean Inn is okay, but we realized that staying in a resort isn't our thing. To each their own.

Room tip: You WILL hear the luau every night if you stay at the Ocean Inn.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank moybean
HHR_CustomerService, Customer Satisfaction Team at Kaanapali Ocean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Aloha,

Thank you so much for this detailed review. We are glad that you choose to spend your anniversary with us. We apologize that you were not offered the complimentary photo when you mentioned your anniversary to the agent. This will be addressed as we want all of our guests celebrating with us to have something to remember their stay with us by. It seems that you were able to make the best of everything and enjoy your stay with us. We greatly value your suggestions, and will see what we can do to make improvements. We understand that you would want to stay closer to Lahaina, but we hope if you do return you will keep us in mind. We are always working to improve our Inn and would love for you to see all of the improvements that we have made.

Mahalo,
Brittany

Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed for our anniversary last month and was not blown away but not very disappointed either. The only thing that is the saving grace for my opinion is that guests here get the same amenities (pool, rentals, hot tub, breakfast buffet etc.) as the guests at the Royal Lahaina Resort. If it wasn’t for the access to the RLR pools and hot tubs and restaurant I honestly wouldn’t stay again. We had ants all over our bathroom sink and the random sink in the bedroom. Maid service was frequent but didn’t do a good job, they didn’t even give us fresh sheets, just fixed what we already had on? What am i paying for then...? Trash bags? The walking up and down of stairs wasn’t bad at all because even on the third floor it wasn’t very high. We had a perfect view of the luau which I didn’t mind (just keep in mind that luau guests can see into your room if you’re changing) this hotel is OKAY for the price. Could be about $50 cheaper/night and I’d be a little easier. The fact that you are steps away from ka’anapali beach is a HUGE plus though and whalers village shopping center 2 minutes away was also a nice benefit but the room itself is nothing to brag about.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HHR_CustomerService, Customer Satisfaction Specialist at Kaanapali Ocean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Aloha

Thank you for your review with us on TripAdvisor and for spending your anniversary with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback. We do our very best to ensure our guest have a pleasant stay with us and it appears from your review there are a few areas we that would have made your stay a little more enjoyable. Being a tropical destination, we do our absolute best to not have any bugs, insects, etc and when we are made aware of these issues our staff remedies them straight away. We are sorry to read of your disappointment with our housekeeping staff, normally unless otherwise instructed they will not change the sheets daily for guest who are staying over, the bedding is changed for stay overs every other day unless other wise noted by our guests. We are delighted to see you enjoyed the amenities at the Royal Lahaina Resort that all of our guests are able to utilize. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a more peaceful experience in the future.

Mahalo and warmest aloha,

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed as part of our honeymoon trip, and really enjoyed this hotel. We enjoyed the beach and facilities. The room was basic but clean and ideal for our needs.

In particular, everyone was helpful and friendly. We would recommend.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lareinaroja
HHR_CustomerService, Customer Satisfaction Specialist at Kaanapali Ocean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Aloha

Thank you for your wonderful review with us on TripAdvisor. We are honored you chose our location for your honeymoon and are delighted you enjoyed our hotel. We are happy to see our staff showed you the true spirit of Aloha. We hope to welcome you again soon for your next adventure.

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

Started and ended our Maui vacation at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn. Stayed on the 3rd floor both times. Enjoyed the views of the mountain on the left and the beach on the right from the patio every day of our stay. Noise from the luau didn't bother us at all.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
HHR_CustomerService, Customer Satisfaction Specialist at Kaanapali Ocean Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Aloha

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay here with us, We hope to welcome you back soon.