All reviews pacific dream photography cane canoe four seasons beach crew canoe restaurant bedroom residence premier ocean view the ritz carlton three bedroom half bath full kitchen infinity pool coastal trail pool staff moment you arrive in room dining personal concierge
Reviewed 11 January 2016 via mobile

The Montage in Kapalua Bay exceeded all our expectations.

Beautiful location, spacious suites that are stylish and comfortable, with glorious views and consistently impeccable service.

The only drawback is that there is only one restaurant (other than snacks by the pool) - great food, and very welcoming for kids but not really suited to them. However there are lots of other places nearby to explore and the suite we stayed in had a full kitchen.

The pools were amazing and the kids loved the beach activities. We didn't want to leave, and we'll definitely be back.

Date of stay: December 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Shannon F
MontageKapaluaBay, Manager at Montage Kapalua Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2016

Aloha Shannon,
Thank you for choosing Montage Kapalua Bay for your family vacation. We are delighted that you enjoyed our residential-style accommodations. Upon your return to the islands, we hope your children will have the opportunity to enjoy Paintbox and M-Teens programs.

Reviewed 10 January 2016 via mobile

I don't even know where to begin. The people that work here are some of the nicest people I have ever met. My husband went all out on our honeymoon and I am not used to the attention we got there and having people wait on you hand and foot. It all starts as soon as you pull up to the front and the valet greets you. Those valet guys and gal are great people and the ones we spoke to the most, from coming and going on all our adventures. One day we went over to the blow hole and it was pouring down rain. I was going down a slope to read a sign and fell. When I fell I got covered in mud and hit my head HARD. My husband rushed me back to the Montage and as soon as they saw me they came to help, got me a fresh towel and wanted me to go to the hospital. I said I was okay, just sore and they encouraged me to set up an appointment at the spa. That night we had dinner there and all of a sudden I got the worst headache, the manager came to our table to check on me and then opened up the closed, locked up store and got me pain meds. Maybe I should have gone to the ER, but I did heal about a week later. ;) I just wanted to share that story because there are such great people that work there.

The grounds are incredible. It may rain a little more up that way, but that's why it's so beautiful. We went all over the island and will definitely stay here and down in Hana again. The snorkeling out at the beach is fantastic and I loved swimming with the huge turtle. I also loved the walking trail. Besides the fall near the end of the week, this was the most perfect honeymoon a girl could have asked for.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kipkak

Aloha,
Congratulations on your union! Thank you for sharing your review and photos with us on TripAdvisor. As it is our priority to ensure our guests are safe and happy, we certainly hope you have recovered well. We appreciate your kind words, regarding our genuine service, and look forward to celebrating more milestones with you both in the future.
Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed 8 January 2016

We went to the Montage Kapalua Bay for our honeymoon, and my only regret is that we had to leave. I should have written this review months ago. I kept putting it off, but our stay was so great that I feel obligated to leave one 6 months later.

First, the setting is great. Kapalua Bay is a little out of the way, so there aren't quite the hoards of tourists you have to deal with at the big chain hotels down the coast. Yet, you're just a short (10-15 min) drive to all of the great restaurants, shopping, and activities in Lahaina.

The Montage grounds and facilities are beautiful. The huge system of pools and hot tubs and all of the landscaping around it are great. The huge spa and fitness center were awesome as well. I think my wife did a yoga class almost every morning we were there, and we had a couple's massage that was incredible.

The rooms themselves are massive... definitely bigger than they look in the pictures. Also, if you're interested in cooking yourselves at all, the full kitchens are fantastic. These are not little kitchenettes. They are extremely nice kitchens with everything from full-size refrigerators to ranges to dishwashers. In-room laundry was another huge bonus for us. Having two bathrooms (one full, one half) was also convenient. Finally, the balconies are HUGE and well furnished. Each room has its own private entrance/sitting area... You just get in the elevator and push your room number. I thought that was pretty cool.

The real gem of this place is the staff. Everyone was great, but we particularly loved Sharaya, who can generally be found in the Hana Hou House down by the pool. She is almost disturbingly cheerful and helpful, and after about 5 minutes it feels like she's known you forever. Mitch and Matt (one of which is Sharaya's boyfriend, but I can't remember), who are both bartenders in the Cane and Canoe Bar, were fantastic as well. If you just told them what you liked, they would whip something up... it didn't necessary have a name, but it was good. The fact that we remember their names six months later is a pretty big testament to the service.

The only thing I'd say is that we felt Cane and Canoe was a little over-priced. The food is actually really good and the setting is great, but they got a little aggressive on the pricing. I think the first day there we spent almost $70 on breakfast and we didn't have any cocktails.

All in all, it was pure paradise and we will 100% be back.

Room tip: The ones right by the ocean all seemed to be the big multiple bedroom units, but the rooms all have great views.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MontageKapaluaBay, Owner at Montage Kapalua Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2016

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We hope readers find your review valuable as we do. Recognizing our associates is the greatest compliment that we can receive. Thank you for sharing your genuine connection with Sharaya, Matt and Mitch. We will certainly share your review with them. Congratulations on your nuptials and hope you will return to experience the enhancements that our new executive chef has made at Cane & Canoe.
Until then, me ke aloha pumehana (warmest aloha),

Reviewed 7 January 2016

My wife and I spent eight days at the Montage in mid October of 2015. Everything about this visit was spectacular.

After booking the trip, we were contacted via email by the hotels concierge service. They provided us with a bunch of useful information including, recommended local restaurants with details about each place, activities and tours with details and many other helpful things. They also asked for the particulars of our trip such as our flight numbers and arrival times and any special requests that we might have.

I emailed them back and asked for help planning a wedding vow renewal. They quickly got back to me with ideas and a recommendation for a local judge who could handle the service. They put us in touch with this judge and offered to help with any other details.

To backtrack a bit, we have been to Maui many times in the past and have stayed at some very nice resorts. I spent a couple of weeks researching this current trip as i wanted it to be memorable. For many different reasons I booked The Montage. It did not disappoint on any level.

Our flight from LA to Maui went without a hitch. We had waited for this trip for close to a year and we were very anxious to get the Montage. After getting a car and a few bags of groceries, we headed to the Montage. I haven't been to the Kapalua end of the island for many years and it was a nice feeling as it seems like you are driving away from everybody else.

We arrived at the Montage and pulled in the driveway. Their sign is small and once in the driveway I was a little confused on which way to turn. We noticed that someone was waiving at us so we drove towards him. Yes it was one on the valets! The valets greeted us by name and that initial contact and welcoming was the best I have experienced at any hotel. They told us to just grab our personal stuff head towards the lobby and they would handle the rest.

The Montage does not have a traditional lobby with lines to check in. They have a small pedestal with one greeter and she gave us hand towels, leis and some fresh pineapple. The view from this spot is fabulous. She quickly took us to our room and gave us tour of the amenities in our room. A few moments later our valet showed up with our luggage and groceries. He put everything away including our groceries. For us this was the best check in experience that we have ever had.

We had an ocean view 3 bedroom unit with a full kitchen, washer and dryer and a huge lanai. We were very happy with our room. we liked everything about our room-no complaints at all. Housekeeping was solid and they came at least twice a day.

The resort grounds are beautiful, very peaceful and nothing ever looks out of place. This is not a place where you will find loud pool music and kids running all over the place. This is a very quiet place where you can really relax. They were at 88% occupancy when we were there and it was like a ghost town for the first few days. Staff is everywhere when you need them but they are not in the way or pushy. They seem to try and get to know you a bit and they eventually start calling you by name.

The pool is very unique and has areas for everyone. The upper end is for adults, the lower is for families and the in between is for everybody. We really liked the pool and the pool service. The pool staff was just fantastic all week. I am sure that they are well trained but they also seemed to really like working there.

During our stay it was evident that the staff has a "can do" attitude towards each request. We asked our valets if they had an old ice chest that we could use one day for a beach trip. They told us that they would have something figured out by the time we came down for our car. When we came to get our car they had found a medium size container, cleaned it out and had it filled with ice. They loaded our drinks and lunches in it and we were on our way!

We used the spa facilities and found them to be exceptional. Their gym is also very nice.

The more that I reflect on our trip and stay at the Monatge the longer I could talk about it. I will be forever the biggest fan of the Montage Kapalua Bay. They helped make our trip one for the ages. We enjoyed every minute at the resort and found it hard to leave and do things away from the resort. We have been talking about planning our next trip to the Montage since we left.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt S

Aloha,
What a wonderful review! Thank you very much for sharing your memorable experience with us and for allowing us to be a part of your wedding vow renewal. We are thrilled you experienced the hallmarks of Montage. We look forward to being your home-away-from-home during your next visit to the Hawaiian Islands.

Reviewed 4 January 2016

We stayed in the adjoining residences and it was fabulous! With the feel of a home but the convenience and amenities of a 5 star luxury hotel, this was the ideal place to celebrate our 30th anniversary with our grown children. Each bedroom has its own ensuite bath, sitting area and balcony. The rooms are not next to each other with provides wonderful privacy. Each room leads to a central living area and luxurious kitchen, where the family gathered to plan out their days doing activities together or on their own. If you dont feel like cooking, you can always go to a list of wonderful restaurants located on the property or order from them to be delivered and set up in the kitchen - as you wish. Pretty much anything you want done, can be done with one phone call to the gracious and efficient concierge. The welcoming spirit of all the staff is everything you could imagine and more. We were treated like royalty with chilled champagne, delicious fruit, chocolate and macadamia tray upon arrival to the residence. They went 'above and beyond' to make our anniversary celebration the most special and cherished memory of our lives.

Date of stay: July 2015
2  Thank DoctorandtheMrs
MontageKapaluaBay, Manager at Montage Kapalua Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2016

Aloha,
Mahalo for your review and for choosing Montage Kapalua Bay for your family celebration. Congratulation on your milestone! We are thrilled that our accommodation suits your needs and that you have made it feel like your home away from home. Thank you for sharing your valuable experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again.