“The best spearfishing intro course - as good as it gets!”

Maui Spearfishing Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Be PROUD of the fish you catch and the skill you gain with Maui Spearfishing Academy! We only target big Game and Invasive species. We'll teach you how to dive and hunt in a sustainable and respectful way. Let us be the highlight of your trip. Just look at our reviews!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were out for a walk one morning on the north side of Kaanapali beach and saw a group of people getting geared up for spearfishing. My 16 year old daughter commented on how much fun that looked, so I talked briefly with the guide who gave me the company information. Because we were only on island for another couple days, I didn't think we'd be able to get in, but to my surprise, they called one of their guides who was scheduled to be off and he was able to fit us in, which was awesome.

Keoki, our guide turned out to be one of the coolest people we've had the pleasure of meeting on our trips to the island. Even though we were both very comfortable in the water (PADI divers), diving without air is an entirely different world. Keoki took the time to teach us what we needed, made us feel safe, taught us all about the equipment we were using, the fish we were looking for, why we wanted to take the grouper and snapper and also taught us about being responsible for the resource we were about to use. It was so neat to hear him share his 30+ years of experience of fishing and hunting, much of it with his brother and how it impacts their lives. Those stories and experiences gave this trip a very personal feel and it quickly became more to us than a tour we happened to book. The actual in-water time was even more enjoyable. The first location he wanted to try was too rough (not for him), but he took us to a much calmer location, which made for a much better first experience. We got in the water, did some skill work to figure out what we would be able to handle and then we got busy. We spotted several octopus, which he pulled up to let us handle and learn about. We saw all kinds of fish, eels and turtles and headed out to about 30-40 feet of water where we started hunting. My daughter, the sharpshooter, went 2 for 2 on her shots. Dad, well, went 0-2 with several of the fish doing the "Matrix" move to avoid my spear - at least that's what we're saying - because it couldn't be my aim :) We fished for several hours, explored a cool wall, a grotto and had an awesome time. We came back with six fish and a nice octopus! The entire time, Keoki made sure that safety was #1, encouraged us, laughed a lot and generally had a blast with us. We were truly blessed to have had such a great guide.

If you're looking for something a little more than the standard island tours, want a little adventure and want to learn more about the islands, don't wait to give Maui Spearfishing Academy a call and book a trip, you won't regret it. It's one of the best things I've ever done on a vacation!

To Keoki, our guide, I'm not sure why you would ever leave (even for a second), but if you (or your family) ever end up travelling to Minnesota, consider yourself 'ohana and we'll gladly repay your kindness. Mahalo!

All reviews
"his life"
"an incredible experience"
"deep water"

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

In addition to learning to spear fish from a pleasant, native Hawaiian, the snorkeling featured a beatiful reef with a turtle and a harmless reef shark. We spent a long long time going over safety and practicing proper free diving technique. I only speared 1 fish, but missed several other shots. Good luck!

Reviewed 13 February 2018

I booked the Spearfishing 101 class 2 years ago and took the Freediving 101 and a spearfishing outing this time around.
In all cases, excellent instruction, super people and and we were taught skills we can build on. At the beginning of each outing is excellent instruction on breath holding, why your body processes allow you to do it safely, safety, and in the case of spearfishing, how to identify invasive and game species of fish.
Too good not to do it again. i'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

I had tried to learn freediving skills by watching youtube videos. In the 6 of this class I went to a whole new level of capability. Bobby really worked on refining my technique and coaching me through each dive. When we went out to deep water and I made my first deep dive, I excitedly dove down to 65 feet and spent a minute on the bottom! I was so pumped. I love spear fishing and this is a depth that I need to be able to get to. Thank you Bobby for helping me reach a bucket list goal.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Our guide Bobby (who owns the company) was fantastic. Turns out no one else signed up with my boyfriend and me, so we had a private tour. We had a wonderful lesson about free diving, fish ID, and safety. Bobby answered all of our random questions with ease. He obviously loves what he does and has a lot of enthusiasm for it. In the 2ish hours of snorkeling, we only bagged one fish, but that one fish makes an impact since it is an invasive species. This is why we chose to go with Maui Spearfishing Academy: the fact that we had the opportunity to kill fish that are bad for the environment. You can’t eat these fish and they just kill native fish on the reef. What a great excursion and a great way to help the environment.

1  Thank Randi M
MauiSpearfishing, Front Office Manager at Maui Spearfishing Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Mahalo Randi! Thanks for caring about our oceans for future generations, every fish makes a difference.