Open today: 7:00 am - 8:00 pm
Review Highlights
Take your snorkel skills up a notch!

I went along for the ride on this one ( my husband wanted to learn to spearfish) but I am so glad I... read more

Reviewed today
MsBoomerFactor
Awesome, Authentic, Fun!

Had a great time learning to spearfish with the guys at the Academy. Had one in our party who... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
jorgejeter
Boston, Massachusetts

All reviews free diving breathing techniques invasive species breath hold fish spear gun his breath great teacher learned how octopus excellent instruction experience level his life an incredible experience deep water these guys money well spent
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

In addition to learning to spear fish from a pleasant, native Hawaiian, the snorkeling featured a beatiful reef with a turtle and a harmless reef shark. We spent a long long time going over safety and practicing proper free diving technique. I only speared 1 fish, but missed several other shots. Good luck!

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 13 February 2018

I booked the Spearfishing 101 class 2 years ago and took the Freediving 101 and a spearfishing outing this time around.
In all cases, excellent instruction, super people and and we were taught skills we can build on. At the beginning of each outing is excellent instruction on breath holding, why your body processes allow you to do it safely, safety, and in the case of spearfishing, how to identify invasive and game species of fish.
Too good not to do it again. i'll definitely be back.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 30 January 2018

I had tried to learn freediving skills by watching youtube videos. In the 6 of this class I went to a whole new level of capability. Bobby really worked on refining my technique and coaching me through each dive. When we went out to deep water and I made my first deep dive, I excitedly dove down to 65 feet and spent a minute on the bottom! I was so pumped. I love spear fishing and this is a depth that I need to be able to get to. Thank you Bobby for helping me reach a bucket list goal.

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank Steve O
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Our guide Bobby (who owns the company) was fantastic. Turns out no one else signed up with my boyfriend and me, so we had a private tour. We had a wonderful lesson about free diving, fish ID, and safety. Bobby answered all of our random questions with ease. He obviously loves what he does and has a lot of enthusiasm for it. In the 2ish hours of snorkeling, we only bagged one fish, but that one fish makes an impact since it is an invasive species. This is why we chose to go with Maui Spearfishing Academy: the fact that we had the opportunity to kill fish that are bad for the environment. You can’t eat these fish and they just kill native fish on the reef. What a great excursion and a great way to help the environment.

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank Randi M
MauiSpearfishing, Front Office Manager at Maui Spearfishing Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Mahalo Randi! Thanks for caring about our oceans for future generations, every fish makes a difference.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

I was very pleased with this experience. We have only done spearfishing in the Bahamas before, and I was eager to get some more experienced instruction with spearguns instead of polespear/Hawaiian sling, and to get some free diving training to increase my depth and bottom time. My thirteen year-old son and I took the free diving class with Joey, and followed up the next day with a spearfishing trip with Keoki. I was impressed! It was a really windy day, and I probably wouldn't have gone out in the water at all, but Joey knew just where to go to get some shelter from the wind and still be able to get the diving practice we needed. After the breathing training on land, we were able to enter a small rocky cove and apply what we learned. I set a personal record right away, diving down to 30 feet and was surprised to learn that I felt like I could go deeper. My son had some trouble clearing his ears, and only made it down to about 25 feet one time, which frustrated him, but Joey gave him lots of different things to try. Joey also taught me how to blow an underwater bubble-ring, which was just cool.

After the trouble my son had with his ears, I called and asked to cancel the next trip, since I thought we were going to have to go deep to spearfish. However, after hearing about my son's trouble, our guide Keoki was able to take us to a place where we could spearfish in water that was between 6-20 feet deep. Keoki was great! He's a native Hawaiian, raised on Molokai, and the water is like his second home. He was a great guide, and in addition to teaching us how to use the spearguns and showing us where to go, he was very knowledgeable about the different kinds of fish on the reef. We got an octopus, a flounder, and my son shot his first fish - a small black invasive species, the name of which I forget. Overall, it was a great experience, and I would definitely go back again myself or recommend the experience to interested friends.

Date of experience: January 2018

Mahalo Chris! I'm glad to you reached a personal best and had a great time with both guys. See you next time!