“Sheraton Restaurant (Believe It's Now Called Black Rock Kitchen)”

Black Rock Steak and Seafood
Ranked #125 of 293 Restaurants in Lahaina
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Honoapiilani Highway
Reviewed 7 December 2015

We stayed at the resort, so we decided to have one dinner here (we also had breakfast most days). The outside seating is very romantic in the evening. It faces a garden and the lawns of the Sheraton (not the ocean) - it's very pretty. The food is good, the staff satisfactory. I believe it might be categorized as fine dinning, but if you're looking for a little more of a foodie place, there are plenty of places in Maui that would better fit the bill. Nonetheless, this is a nice setting for a romantic dinner.

Date of visit: October 2015

Reviewed 19 November 2015

I found this restaurant on OpenTable's website, so I booked it for my first night. I started with their sashimi appetizer, which had four pieces of ahi sashimi, each topped with a slice of jalapeño. Quite tasty, but perhaps a bit overpriced for the portion. That was followed by their vegetarian entree, which included an assortment of roasted vegetables on top of polenta. While I'm not a vegetarian, I was very impressed with the taste and portion size of this dish. The service was attentive, albeit a little slow (despite the low volume of diners that night). I was disappointed with being served two cold bread rolls in a basket of five. The food was otherwise excellent. Another bonus: If you're a Starwood Preferred Guest member, they'll give you 20% off your bill (excluding alcohol, I believe).

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 10 November 2015 via mobile

A note: food on Maui, particularly in upper level hotel restaurants is expensive to very expensive.. Dinner with a couple of glasses of wine climbs over $100 without tip easily. Our experience was that food in better restaurants away from Kaanapali is less expensive but that cheap food, other than mainland-familiar fast food or hole-in-the-wall mixed plate places, is not to be had. However, we'll hopefully come across it in future visits to Maui.

And now to the review: We were guests at the hotel, and ate there the night of our arrival as well as later in our stay. The first night, we had a fresh Ahi appetizer which was in some sort of light oil. My wife had a Ginger and Maui Onion soup. Both were excellent. The server recommended a fish dish, a Hawaiian fish I think he called Ono. Maybe something else. It was available broiled or coated in Macadamia Nuts, I opted for it broiled and served with a Maui mushroom risotto. Simply outstanding.
The second night we ate there, the food was as good or better. We both had sea food dishes. My wife's dish of big shrimp in wine sauce over fettuccine sounds pretty much standard, but the sauce was just exceptional. I had Mahi-Mahi coated with crushed Macadamia Nuts. Pretty much a commonly available dish in most better restaurants, but this was as good as I've had it.

Another reviewer commented that the breakfast buffet is very expensive. The menu on display confirmed it. We did not have breakfast at this restaurant because we were provide a complimentary breakfast in the hotel's VIP lounge as part of the Starwood SPG program.This high cost of breakfast is again, apparently true of hotel restaurants. Try some of the smaller independent places, particularly bakeries, or the fast food outlets.

Hope this helps.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 26 October 2015

The food was fantastic, the staff explained what was on the menu, and the specials for the evening, service was excellent

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 17 October 2015

I would give this place a 4 for dinner and a 2 for breakfast.

This is your option if you want to have a nice dinner in the hotel. The seating outside overlooking the grounds, nearby pond and near tiki torches make it perfect for couples. The service was friendly and the short rib I had was so tender that I didn't even need my knife. The only problem I had was that they didn't give me credit for my OpenTable reservation even though I checked in when I arrived.

Breakfast is very busy because it is the only place in the hotel that serves hot breakfast. Expect to wait if it's during peak time. The buffet is $30, which I found to be overpriced for breakfast. It was your standard continental breakfast spread. you can also order omelettes with your server which will be brought to your table. I found it odd that there wasn't an actual omelette station or at least a menu that showed you all of the add-in options. Juice glasses were ridiculously small.

If you're not a big breakfast person, I would say you're much better off just getting yogurt, fruit, muffins, etc at one of the nearby markets and using the fridge in your hotel room or grabbing something at the Starbucks stand on the lobby level.

Date of visit: September 2015