3,443 results
All reviews konea tower duke's restaurant aina market gourmet market sewage plant bosch appliances full kitchen ocean view through vrbo kaanapali beach rentals every other day washer and dryer times market grocery store quiet pool high end appliances underground parking
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a week in February 2017. We had a ground floor 2 room suite that led right out to the pool area. Resort was exceptionally clean, the location was beautiful and convenient for the entire island.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Craig S
HonuaKaiResortandSpa, Manager at Honua Kai Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Aloha,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Pros:
Clean, attractive lobby and nice grounds.

Very nice beach that's gets wider and less crowded to the south within walking distance.

Rooms are large with full kitchen and nicely furnished.

Cons:
Pools were crowded with murky water and the "lazy river" is a narrow, dead end section of the pool with zero water flow.

Mountain view rooms are ok as long as you don't want to open the impressive curtain wall door system. Upon opening the doors, we got continuous wafts of the sewage treatment plant across the street and a good bit of highway noise. We called the front desk to let them know our disappointment in these arrangements and for a fee they could move our room to try and accommodate the desire for a room that doesn't smell like a sewer.

They were also unwilling to accommodate an early check-in or even a 1 hour late checkout meaning they have a 5 hour window to clean the place and make zero effort to help in these circumstances. I don't think I've ever been refused at least a 1 hour late checkout request.

Again, go with a 3 star expectation for the resort and 2 star for service and you'll be satisfied.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
9  Thank Timothy G
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights and booked Via VRBO a 2b 2ba condo. The condo itself was ok but I was trying to get the most bang for my buck because I wanted to try this resort. I wouldn't hesitate to book this resort again but I would definitely want an inner courtyard/partial ocean view as I had the view of the Westin new building and the sun hit our room the entire day that we couldn't sit in the lanai (once you open doors to balcony, the AC shuts off).

We mainly used the middle pool with slide and waterfalls. It was never crowded even for being July. The pool was always refreshing and cool. Only complaint, there are only 2 umbrellas at this pool. Cabanas are a joke so don't waste your money - always in the sun. They need way more umbrellas - they're bolted so you can't move them. I was forced to sit in the pool to watch my children as I had to get out of the sun and heat. Please please put umbrellas all over. Other families complained about this as well.

The beach was perfect for snorkeling. Our condo had umbrellas and beach chairs so we took advantage of them. I heard others complaining about the conditions of their rooms booked directly with hotel or Costco - it's pretty much a crap shoot as to what you'll get.

Duke's is onsite and I ordered 2 shakes/smoothie for the kids @ $7 each at the bar - they'll put them in to go cups. The chicken strips were really sad for poolside food. We picked up Hula Pies one night after the pool to take to our room - best dessert ever.

I didn't see too many unattended children like other resorts. Most parents were watching their children and the kids we met were extremely well mannered.

Loved having a kitchen, living space and washer and dryer. I'll just book a room with a view as the lanais are large.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank SLG101

Aloha,
Thank you for your comments. It sounds like overall you had a great stay and we appreciate your comments. We have recently replaced the cabanas at poolside which are located throughout our various pools providing shade whenever needed. There are many benefits to booking directly with the resort such as the quality and quantity of services and more than anything, the security of knowing who you are booking with. We look forward to welcoming you back to Honua Kai Resort & Spa on your next visit to Maui.

Reviewed 14 July 2017

We are very happy with our stay at Hanua Kai Resort. We did the mountainside view and were expecting a parking lot view, but most of our view was actually mountains (green) and just a little bit of the front drive.

The one bedroom was big enough for us two adults and two elementary school aged kids, who slept in the pull out sofa. There's a kitchen and it comes with utensils, a washer/dryer, and detergent for that. The lanai is also pretty long and has a table/chairs.

You can do valet or self park. Both are included in the $30 resort daily fee. We did the valet and just paid tip. There are two towers with rooms. The rooms were clean and we just had a few problems, but they were taken care of.
- our washer wasn't working. We called and they sent someone out, who determined it needed to be swapped out. They did this while we were at dinner, so taken care of quickly. The safe also wasn't working, so someone came out and fixed it. The only thing I didn't like is that housekeeping only cleans every other day. I didn't know this ahead of time, but we stayed 4 nights and housekeeping only came one time. I was disappointed with this- they should have came at least 2.

The pool area is really nice. We opted for the cushion cabanas (we originally did the gazebos that we reserved online for $150/day since they said that's all that was available), but we got there and were told that only those are bookable through the activities number. We were able to cancel easily and switch to the round pillow gazebos for $75/day. This was perfect, as it provided the shade we needed, and we didn't have to rush out in the morning to grab something. They also have little lounge areas and two person loungers you can rent.

Now do you need to rent one? No- the first day we arrived it was pretty crowded mid-day, but several other days we did see availability, even some umbrella spots. But I would recommend arriving by 9:30 to have a good chance of getting something.

There's nothing really at the resort, but with your car you are just 10 minutes from Lahaina and there's a strip mall across the street.

If you drive north 15 minutes, there are some great snorkel spots.

I would definitely come back!

Room Tip: All rooms have good views so unless you really want ocean, mountainside is great
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank zeppgirl

Aloha,

Thank you for choosing Honua Kai Resort & Spa for your Maui vacation. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Booked through Maui Resort Rentals

Specific to our rental:
- 1 bedroom
- Big bathroom with separate shower and bathtub and 2 sinks
- Fully loaded with stainless steel Bosch kitchen appliances, Vitamix blender, washer/dryer, dishes, cookware, soap/sponge, knife set, free WiFi (speed is good), 40-50'' HD TV and Blueray DVD player, portable Bose bluetooth speaker, 2 nice fold-up beach chairs

General Honua Kai Information:
- Awesome floor to ceiling windows that completely open up for some fresh Muai breeze (your entire wall essentially folds up so you have a view of the mountains or ocean depending on what side of the resort you're on)
- Balcony is massive with 7-8 foot table and chairs that could easily seat 6 people
- We have mountain view (wake up to sunrise every morning)
- Duke's restaurant on-site is awesome (tried breakfast, lunch, and dinner there)
- Pools are nice / lots of kids / definitely family-friendly (pro or con depending on what you're looking for)
- Shoreline trail extends for miles and is great for running/walking past all the resorts and has constant view of ocean
- Exercise room has the basic cardio equipment and weights but is quite small
- Staff has been high quality
- Wristband key access to room and towel dispensers are waterproof so no worries about losing/forgetting them
- Business center with Windows computer and printer (didn't ask about fax/scan capabilities)
- Underground parking garage with access via your wristband key
- Two on-site stores have surprisingly reasonably priced liquor, beer, and food
- On-site watersport rentals by pool
- Decent spa experience (received 80-minute massage)
- 10 minute drive to Safeway grocery store
- 10-15 minute drive to downtown Lahaina (try Lahainaluna cafe for some awesome teri-chicken bites)

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple