Each year, for the past ten plus years, my wife and I have stayed at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa while I participated in the annual Maui Marathon. The marathon is staged out of the resort and the 5K, 10K and half marathons start near the resort. The Westin is conveniently located to nearby shops and restaurants located at Whaler’s Village. The resort has an excellent pool area and the beach along the Kaanapali coast is among the best in Hawaii. The Westin rooms were refurbished in the past several years but are still generally small. The resort is older, and in many respects, dated particularly the hallways which are dark and the rugs dingy. The staff is for the most part professional and helpful EXCEPT as reported below.
Our stay at the Westin for the 2017 Maui Marathon was a complete disaster. We arrived in Maui on Friday for a Sunday race. All my meals from Friday night through Saturday night were at the Westin. After eating dinner Saturday night, I became violently ill with food poisoning including stomach cramps, fever, chills, diarrhea and nausea. I was totally dehydrated, weak and unable to even start the half marathon (which I had spent months training for) Sunday morning. Later in the day, I was diagnosed by a doctor who confirmed I had food poisoning. I reported the problem to hotel security. The following day I talked with the Food Service Manager to verify she had the security information (she did not) and to review the exact meals I had consumed in order for the staff to correct the problem. I asked nothing from the Westin, but the Food Service Manager said ALL my food and beverage charges would be removed from my bill and she would be happy to provide a special meal for my wife and myself. I declined the special meal but of course was happy about the reduction in my bill.
On our last day at the hotel, my wife had a complimentary brunch – I was still too sick to eat. After her brunch she obtained our bill and found none of the food and beverage charges had been removed. She discussed the issue with the front desk manager who had a hundred and one excuses why the charges had not been removed. Her bottom line was “what is your problem, there was nothing wrong with the room!” The problem of course was the food poisoning, our ruined mini vacation and I was unable to run the race! What’s our problem – OMG are you kidding?
I talked with the Resort Manager and expressed my unhappiness with the front desk manager’s outrageous attitude and the fact the resort was not honoring the Food Service Manager’s food and beverage commitment. In fact, he first tried to say I had not gotten food poisoning but had to back off on that claim after I reiterated it was a doctor’s diagnosis. Then he said it could not have been the Westin Kitchen since they had checked all the temperatures and they were fine. Further he said he would never remove all our food and beverage charges but “might” remove the charge for my Saturday evening meal. So, one free brunch and $40 off an almost $1600-dollar bill for multi-year repeat guests and Starwood Preferred Guests? Not impressive!
Hotel managements attitude towards guests and the apparent lack of serious concern over food borne contamination in the kitchen rate a one-star review for the Westin Maui Resort and Spa! We will never stay at this resort again and recommend visitors consider alternative hotels on the Kaanapali coast!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Commanding Ka’anapali Beach, The Westin Maui Resort & Spa presents the ultimate Hawaiian getaway. Appealing to leisure and business travelers alike, unrivaled amenities are designed to inspire renewal at this island paradise. Unwind amidst well-appointed accommodations with signature Westin touches. Or enjoy splashing fun within the magnificent aquatic playground with five pools, cascading waterfalls and gardens with exotic wildlife. Adventure seekers can pick their favorite watersport steps away from the resort such as stand-up paddling, kayaking, para-sailing, snorkel and sunset cruises. The resort also offers spa rejuvenation, oceanfront dining, cultural activities, kids club, weddings center, meeting facilities, watersport, shopping, golfing and shuttles to historic Lahaina. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Agoda, Booking.com, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Hooroo Pty Ltd, lastminute.com.au, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Maui Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Maui Resort And Hotel Lahaina
- Westin Maui Hotel
- Westin Lahaina
- Westin Maui Resort And Spa
- Westin Maui Resort Spa
- Lahaina Westin
- The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Lahaina