“Food Poisoning at Westin Maui Resort & Spa”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Each year, for the past ten plus years, my wife and I have stayed at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa while I participated in the annual Maui Marathon. The marathon is staged out of the resort and the 5K, 10K and half marathons start near the resort. The Westin is conveniently located to nearby shops and restaurants located at Whaler’s Village. The resort has an excellent pool area and the beach along the Kaanapali coast is among the best in Hawaii. The Westin rooms were refurbished in the past several years but are still generally small. The resort is older, and in many respects, dated particularly the hallways which are dark and the rugs dingy. The staff is for the most part professional and helpful EXCEPT as reported below.
Our stay at the Westin for the 2017 Maui Marathon was a complete disaster. We arrived in Maui on Friday for a Sunday race. All my meals from Friday night through Saturday night were at the Westin. After eating dinner Saturday night, I became violently ill with food poisoning including stomach cramps, fever, chills, diarrhea and nausea. I was totally dehydrated, weak and unable to even start the half marathon (which I had spent months training for) Sunday morning. Later in the day, I was diagnosed by a doctor who confirmed I had food poisoning. I reported the problem to hotel security. The following day I talked with the Food Service Manager to verify she had the security information (she did not) and to review the exact meals I had consumed in order for the staff to correct the problem. I asked nothing from the Westin, but the Food Service Manager said ALL my food and beverage charges would be removed from my bill and she would be happy to provide a special meal for my wife and myself. I declined the special meal but of course was happy about the reduction in my bill.
On our last day at the hotel, my wife had a complimentary brunch – I was still too sick to eat. After her brunch she obtained our bill and found none of the food and beverage charges had been removed. She discussed the issue with the front desk manager who had a hundred and one excuses why the charges had not been removed. Her bottom line was “what is your problem, there was nothing wrong with the room!” The problem of course was the food poisoning, our ruined mini vacation and I was unable to run the race! What’s our problem – OMG are you kidding?
I talked with the Resort Manager and expressed my unhappiness with the front desk manager’s outrageous attitude and the fact the resort was not honoring the Food Service Manager’s food and beverage commitment. In fact, he first tried to say I had not gotten food poisoning but had to back off on that claim after I reiterated it was a doctor’s diagnosis. Then he said it could not have been the Westin Kitchen since they had checked all the temperatures and they were fine. Further he said he would never remove all our food and beverage charges but “might” remove the charge for my Saturday evening meal. So, one free brunch and $40 off an almost $1600-dollar bill for multi-year repeat guests and Starwood Preferred Guests? Not impressive!
Hotel managements attitude towards guests and the apparent lack of serious concern over food borne contamination in the kitchen rate a one-star review for the Westin Maui Resort and Spa! We will never stay at this resort again and recommend visitors consider alternative hotels on the Kaanapali coast!

Room Tip: Garden view above third floor also provides ocean views
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Larry B
WestinMauiAmbassador, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Aloha Larry,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit with us. We sincerely appreciate your choice of our resort for your annual participation in the island’s marathon and truly regret that you were unable to participate this year due to the experiences you had outlined in the review. Please be assured that we take matters such as this very seriously and understand that the situation had been satisfactorily resolved as confirmed in our communications with you and your spouse. We look forward to your return and making your participation in the next Maui Marathon a memorable one. Warmest Aloha!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,379)

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Twelve days of bliss at the Westin Resort. Just what is needed to recharge batteries and soak up some Maui Bliss. The beds just keep getting more comfortable and the staff were pleasant and very efficient. The hotel was supposedly at 100% occupancy but I never had a problem finding a poolside lounge. Housekeeping was excellent and our room was always clean and ready for us when we returned from the sea or an outing no matter how late we left that morning. Free daily newspapers were a plus. The only downside was "Happy Hour" half price appies. Yes, they were half price but you only got half of a regular order. What's the point of that?
I will definitely return to this Westin. Location is perfect, the beach does not get much better and a rental car is only required if you are going outside the Lahaina area. I love Maui and can hardly wait to feel the sand between my toes again.

Room Tip: Of course ocean front, high floor is the best but our second floor, garden view room was lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

We found this resort to be a good resort, it has valet or self parking, although they need to sort out more parking spaces. Every day we had trouble getting a park & each time we let the valet parking staff know & they would valet park our car for free. We booked a king oceanview room, which was a good size, our balcony overlooked the pool & the ocean was to the right. The room had free Wifi, a safe & a mini fridge. The resort has a number of different pools & is right on the beach but we were disappointed to find you have to rent lounge chairs, umbrellas & cabanas to use on the beach. The resort has flamingoes in their lagoon & a caged cockatoo & macaws. The concierges were helpful giving us a good Maui map with facts about the roads etc.. & information on places to visit. The resort is close to whalers village. The resort has their own Luau on certain nights but it's quite pricey. The Luau had a buffet meal & all you can drink beer, wine & mai tai's in it's cost. A good nights entertainment. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sm05060
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We stayed at The Westin Maui Resort (2xAdults 2xTeens) in the SPG Members Tower block overlooking the pools on the top floor for 6days. My kids (2x14yrs) voted this hotel the best of all we stayed at - the Grand Hyatt Kauai came in second - to be fair only because we stayed there one night! All staff at the Westin were friendly and attentive. To to tell you the truth we were SO busy with so many Maui activities we didn't get to spend a lot of time at the hotel. Never ate at the restaurants only because we like to venture out. The kids liked the proximity to Leilani's, Whalers Village and BlackRock. Our kids were regulars at Leilani's having their 'own' daytime table - they love it there.

The only issue with The Westin Resort during our stay was the carpark - it's WAY too small for the number of hotel patrons and the resort didn't even seem that busy. Every morning we'd come out at 6:30am only to discover our and almost every other car was parked in by one or 2 others - chaotic. The valet guys would resolve the situation but just allow 15minutes extra if you're going to be in a hurry for something. I believe a new carpark is going to be built soon.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank GenkiSudo1
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We stayed there for 7days for a wedding and had a wonderful time, the staff was very helpful and friendly, room was spacious clean and view was very nice even if it was not of the ocean, Food was a little pricey but in Maui you will find that everwhere. In closing I would stay there again. Aloha

Stayed: October 2017