5,719 results
All reviews beach tower whalers village adult pool ocean view black swan self parking heavenly bed pink flamingos breakfast buffet our honeymoon hula grill spg points koi fish abc store an umbrella free shuttle an upgrade
Reviewed 11 June 2004

My wife and I spent our 5th anniversary at the Westin Maui from May 20th to May 30th. One thing about Hawaii is that it is not an inexpensive place to visit, but we were not expecting cheap! If you want cheap, don't stay in Kaanapali, unless you get a great deal. During our stay, a festival of canoes was going on, which is why the Westin Maui had the hula dancers and show every day. We thought it was wonderful and very Hawaiian. The food at Ono's and Tropica was excellent...once again, not cheap, but well worth the money. If you want a little less expensive, walk over to the Hula Grill, Leilani's, or the Rusty ??? They were all excellent places to eat, but don't expect to just walk in for dinner, there is a wait. We booked all of our activities through the American Express Travel agent a month in advance. The agents are located right at the hotel. Jan was wonderful and very helpful. I recommend that if you can, do the same because the good trips fill up fast! Did the Sky-Trek trip to Hana and flew back in a Helicopter. Made the trip to Hana very tolerating and learned alot from our tour guide Anselm! Much better than driving it yourself. Took a snorkel trip to Molikini via Trilogy tours. This was an excellent trip and lunch was delicious. Got to see Sea Turtles, an eel, and We did 2 Luau's...Old Lahaina Luau and Feast of Lele. I guess I was expecting more from the Old Lahaina Luau so I was a little dissappointed, but the Feast of Lele was outstanding - excellent food, excellent show. I would not hesitate to go back to Luau. Back to the hotel. The staff was outstanding - never had a problem with anyone. The in-room bar service was the only negative I could even come up with. We had to call 3 times to get Diet Coke replenished. The maid service was excellent. The concierge made excellent recommendations for dinners - Kimo's, Bubba Gump's and a Japanese Steak House in Lahaina. The pool area was the best part of the hotel. All of the palm trees, tropical flowers, and waterfalls made you feel like you were in paradise! You may not get the best seats next to the pool if you go at noon, but there were always plenty of seats at any of the pools. The water slide was a blast and surprisingly very fast! There was plenty of room in the pools to get away from kids if you did not want to be bothered. When you book your trip, it may be worthwhile to call Starwood and sign up as a preferred guest. It's free and it will save you money on your trip to the Westin Maui. Once again, this was by far the best vacation that I've ever been on, and we've been to some pretty tropical places. We are looking forward to returning to the Westin Maui for our 10th anniversary.

• Stayed: May 2004
14  Thank Escape15459
Reviewed 6 June 2004

We stayed for 4 nights at the Westin and loved our stay. We are SPG members (gold) and were given a free upgrade to a partial oceanview room when we checked in. The one problem we had was our A/C was not working well and it took 3 complaints before we got a room change. However, they took care of us and upgraded us again to a better room, got a free fruit basket from the hotel and several calls from the manager to ensure that we were okay. Kimberly at the concierge desk is very helpful and friendly - she helped us by telling us where to eat, snorkel, etc. Yes, it is pricey to stay here but you get what you pay for. Although it was very busy with families, couples, kids staying here, the rooms were built pretty well and did not hear our neighbors hardly ever (only heard people in the hallways).

8  Thank RBM1
Reviewed 3 June 2004

We stayed here from May 27 to June 1, using a very appealing discount package we received last fall (part of an attempt to drum up timeshare business, it turned out, no surprise). This was our fourth trip to Maui, and we have stayed previously at what is now the Renaissance in Wailea, the Maui Prince, and the Alii condos. I would say that the Westin, in general, does a very good to excellent job at providing an enjoyable resort experience. My views, however, might be less generous if I were to pay rack rate for the room, or if I had not had a deduction from meals and incidentals thanks to the package we were on. I was a little anxious after reading some of the reviews, but I think the worst reviews probably reflect bad luck and/or overly high expectations. You're staying at a huge hotel designed to part you from your cash, next to other hotels and establishments with similar objectives. Most of us are not staying in the Presidential Suite, and Kaanapali is not a remote corner of a sparsely populated island. So some imperfections and noise are to be expected. The pros: try to score breakfast buffet vouchers (but they don't just cough them up, see below), it is a very nice buffet with rotating dishes and friendly service; the bed is very nice, but it is the sheets and bedding that do the trick -- the mattress is about on par with an above average but not extraordinary mattress; the shower is not life-changing, but it is better than the standard one nozzle in a stall situation; the bellmen, pool waitresses, towel station, room service, and service desk operator were always very friendly and expressed concern to make sure the question or need was addressed (kudos especially to the pool staff for always keeping my pregnant wife supplied with fresh ice water on their own volition); the gentleman who seems to run the handing out of leis on arrival was a real prince, he gave us two leis on our last day at the hotel to wear to my wife's birthday party (and told my wife that I "deserved something nice" for asking for the flowers); room was cleaned nicely and at convenient times; noise level dropped off considerably by ten p.m.; ample drawer space; quiet refrigerator; plenty of towels and pillows supplied and delivered on request; very good lunch food on the pool menu -- get the vegetable flatbread; adult pool was a mellow scene; seemed to be just the right amount of pool chairs, with only the most prime (under umbrellas) chairs being snapped up by 8 a.m; Nathan the guy who runs the cabanas was very organized and set us up with a bucket of chilled Evian; the gym was super nice; the beach was pretty good, what can you do about the standard undertow, not the hotel's fault; the show with island dancing was fun to watch (saw that somebody had an issue with the drums ... we have young kids too, but we would not expect a mega-resort like the Westin to be very quiet and the show was usually around 5 in the afternoon)
The cons: the front desk staff, except when things were very, very slow, was understaffed, rushed, and not very friendly (biggest example: we just asked about breakfast vouchers, explaining that somebody at the timeshare desk had said it wouldn't hurt to ask...we didn't pull any kind of "so and so promised we would get them," we just asked: you would have thought we asked for the desk clerk's first-born, TiVo, and last scoop of ice cream and that we had sold her grandma shares in Worldcom... when we went back to pick up the vouchers, desk clerk no. 2 gave me the third degree about who had said we could have a voucher ... all while a big black binder titled "Breakfast Coupon Log" sat right in front of him. Definitely made the free $45 breakfast that much sweeter every day ... sheesh, sorry to cut into the 90% profit margin, Westin!); great location; bathroom lighting was pretty dim and flickering; the waterfalls are great when you arrive, less so if you are a light sleeper, but my light sleeping wife seemed to do ok (but we were on the 10th floor); the pay per view movies (just basic PG and R fare, thank you very much) were $16 -- yikes!; the elevators are very, very stuffy, it seems like there is literally no air flow in them, which can get a little old when you are coming from, say, the 10th floor; the concierge was misinformed about the dress code at Kapalua Bay Club: had we not checked, i might have shown up in long-sleeved shirt and tie and sent the geekmeter all the way to 10.
In sum: if you want quiet and pampering, look elsewhere, but if you can deal with big hotel and can get a good deal, this was a pretty terrific place.

12  Thank tonybruin92
Reviewed 30 May 2004

Staying at the Westin Maui was the most incredible time I have ever had. The beach, the waterpark were great but the hotel in itself was magnificent. I give it 2 thumbs up and a strong recommendation!

7  Thank BoardingPass27014
Reviewed 29 May 2004

I was extremely disappointed in the service at the Westin. The bellmen and the front desk were very nice, but the staff at the retaurant and pool area were extremely rude. The pool area is not friendly to smaller children who can't swim because each area has a depth of 4 feet or more and there are no direct paths for people who are trying to navigate the pool area with stollers. The maid service was horrible. We would return to our room at 3:00 and the room was not made up and we had a baby that needed to nap, we requested that our room be made up in the morning and never once did they come at that time. We would have to call to have fresh towels brought up and to dump our trash. Also, every night and on 3 days during our visit twice a day, they had a hula show. It was nice the first few days we were there but, when you have small children trying to nap the loud bongos can get really annoying. I would say that the best part of this hotel is that it is close to Whaler's Village and on the beach so you can leave. It is probably a better hotel for adults only.

6  Thank logannoah