5,713 results
All reviews beach tower whalers village adult pool ocean view black swan self parking heavenly bed pink flamingos breakfast buffet our honeymoon hula grill spg points koi fish abc store an umbrella free shuttle an upgrade
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Checked in today. Rooms are very small and outdated. Service would equal that of a 3 star hotel. Overall, can't review fully until the end of my trip. I will say this ,don't think we will stay Here next time.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Vegaski
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 10 nights in September 2011. This was our 7th trip to Maui and our 2nd time staying at the Westin; the 1st was on our honeymoon in 2000. Overall it's an attractive property and we got a reasonable room rate with their promotions (about $350/night), however between the noise issues and feeling like you are being nickel-and-dimed at every turn, we will not be staying here a 3rd time.

Pros:
-Friendly staff
-They upgraded us from a standard ocean view room to a deluxe ocean view room when we checked-in (larger room/closer to the ocean)
-Good sized lanai
-The rooms are nicely furnished and clean
-The property is beautiful and close to the beach, shopping and restaurants
-Within walking distance to Black Rock (great place to snorkel)
-We love to occasionally splurge on room service and their food is pretty good
-One of their pools is for adults only
-Convenient jacks so we could hook-up our iPod and listen to music thru our TV

Cons:
-The biggest reason I won't return is that every night from 5 PM to 9 PM they have LOUD live music in the restaurant. Call me crazy, but when I go on a beach vacation I want to listen to the waves crashing on the sand, not some guy putting his personal spin on Margaritaville. Even with the sliding glass door closed and the TV on in our 7th story room, we could still hear the music. Perhaps if we'd stayed in the Ocean Tower, which is further away from the restaurant, the music wouldn't have been so loud. Of course then we also would have been further away from the ocean...
-You have to wear a wristband when hanging out by the pool. I understand and appreciate that they only want hotel guests using the pool and hanging out in the lounge chairs, but why can't they just determine this by the pool towels? They already have a system in place where you have to check-out and return the towels using your name and room number.
-There were very few and sometimes no staff to take food/drink orders by the pool.
-The pool waterfalls are lovely, but loud; especially at 5 AM when I was trying to sleep and my husband was going back and forth from the lanai to the coffeemaker.
-The room does not come with a DVD player and if you'd like to rent a movie in-room it costs $17.99 for new releases. Yes, $17.99!
-The $25/day resort fee includes basic internet, which is very slow. If you want to upgrade, it is an additional $9.99/day and even that is still extremely slow.
-The pools are really cold. After being on the beach all day I like to just hang out and relax in the pool for a while. I'm sorry, but freezing cold water is not relaxing.
-Uncomfortable chairs on the lanai. Some units have lounge chairs and these may be more comfortable than the small stiff chairs we had.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J L
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We recently spent time at at the Westin Maui after finishing a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. From the moment of arrival to our reluctant departure, this was one of the best vacation stays we have ever enjoyed. The staff, to a person, were helpful, pleasant and very cheerful; the whole resort had a buzz of joy and enthusiasm.

Our room was spacious and comfortable, you felt like you could melt into the bed.Room service was great, food was tasty and there were lots of options at the many restaurants within the hotel and along the beach.

This may have been our first trip to Maui but we are already talking about returning and the Westin Maui figures highly in our plans.

Room Tip: If ocean views are not available, ask for a garden view on at least the third floor. See photo attached.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GMCann
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Stayed here from September 20 to 25th with my husband and 2 kids (3.5 yrs and 1.5 yr). I got there early for check in and they said my room wasn't ready, so they checked me in and said they'd call me when my room was ready. We waited around the hotel and even went to the Whaler's village, but even at 1:30pm, our room wasn't ready. I was beginning to worry that the cold food we had in our insulated bag was going to go bad (we stayed 5 nights prior at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas where we had a full fridge). I asked the bell hop and asked if they can put some stuff in the fridge and they were so helpful!!!!!! After that we went to Kuhului to run some errands and in the meantime, hotel called and said our room was ready.

When we got to our room, I was so regretting booking two hotels for our 10 night trip and wished I just stayed at the Villas. Our room (ocean view in the Ocean tower) was pretty small, the carpets looked like it needed to be replaced and so did the wall paper. As someone mentioned earlier, I thought this should have called a Sheraton or better yet a Four Points! However, as we settled in and spent the 5 nights, I walked away thinking it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

Here are some of the good highlights:
- Heavenly shower! - oh how I missed you!!! Hotel gives you an option to not have both shower heads going to conserve water, but I'm on vacation and one of the reasons I love Westins is because of the heavenly shower!
- Recycling bin in each room - just because I don't want to conserve water during my showers doesn't mean I don't think we should recycle during vacation. Each room has a recycling bin, so I thought that was convenient.
- Lobby area - The lobby and the grounds of this hotel is really nice. From the water falls, to the flamingos, black swan, koi fish, parrots, it is all very nice
- Decent pools - Pools were nice and some of them connected through a cave sort of thing with waterfalls
-Tropica restaurant - I'll have a separate review for this restaurant (the good and bad), but I did like having a restaurant ocean front. They also have a early bird and late bird dinner specials which I thought made things a little bit affordable. (since I have two kids, we normally ate early anyway)
- Location - Location is kind of nice since it's it's right next to Whaler's village and basically in hotel row where you can walk to other hotels through the beach front sidewalks.
- Shuttle service - We used this to go to the Sheraton hotel which is like 2 hotels down, but with 2 little ones, we took the shuttle. I heard there is great snorkeling on the beach near Sheraton. However, with two kids, we didn't snorkel, however, we did see 3 turtles within a couple of feet from us standing in the water, it was pretty amazing.

Here are some of the stuff I didn't like as much
- This place needs major room renovations - the grounds are really nice, but the rooms do need to be re-done and updated. Also the walls are really thin and you can hear the conversations your next door neighbor is having. I kind of felt bad for our neighbors because I had moments where my boys were acting up.
- Beach - the beach is not as great as I had hoped. it's actually really short (from the sidewalk to the water) due to eroding.
- It's a bit crowded and a little commercialized - Although the grounds are great, there are vendors on the grounds and I feel like too much is going on. I don't feel like it's truly a getaway peaceful resort. However, I think this place will be great for singles since there seems to be a lot going on and lot of people.
- Parking - I think many people mentioned this. I went in September when it's not supposed to be even that busy, but it WAS THAT busy! Most nights we were not able to find parking and they had to valet it for us (which is technically free if there is no parking space, but we tipped all the time, so that kind of adds up!) And as I mentioned being crowded with no parking space, it's overall looked like it was a very full hotel as I saw bunch of rooms facing the parking lot (even on the 2nd floor overlooking the valet area) all occupied.

I think I will most likely stay at the Westin Villas when returning to Maui, but if I couldn't get it, I can say I would stay at the place.

P.S. The only reason I put average for sleep quality in the ratings is because I couldn't sleep well because I could hear the waterfall (which this wouldn't be so bad to some people, but I'm just a sensitive sleeper).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Alissa C
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Me and my partner had a fantastic time at this hotel for 4 nights.
only pros because we did not encounter any cons!
- The staff was very helpful and welcoming and always pleasant. (They even mailed something back to Australia that I had left there free of charge!)
- The facilities were spotless and very well maintained.
- The rooms were spotlessly cleaned and very comfortable.
- The food was amazing although a little pricey.
I would definately go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple